Thetford toilet issue

Karl

Featured Posts

Hi All. I have a Thetford Macerator toilet which is working fine, I think. We bought the boat recently and thought the toilet was noisy when flushing like a high pitched rattle but out this down to not being used for some time as the boat was up for sale for several weeks. After three weeks of use by us though its tone has become deeper and slower when running if that makes sense. We have done a pump out so we know its emptied recently. Is this normal or do some times they change tone or do I need to get some repairs. That said it does flush and get rid of anything. We were using normal toilet paper until recently but now gone on the Thetford toilet paper.

Hi Karl. Different papers do indeed make differing noises. Never use kitchen towel!!. The main difference in noise is often state of charge of batteries? If you are for instance on mains hook up with batteries on float it will whizz a little better than say at 12.2 volts when not on mains. If its working just monitor it.

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. We are on mains hook up and have been from the start. We have decided to use the thinner Thetford paper for the time being and just use the toilet for liquids in case there is some sort of blockage. If there is then hopefully just liquids and decent paper will clear it. It appears to be working fine but just the tone has gone deeper when working which concerned me !

Maybe that the pipework or valves are a bit blocked with scale etc and making the pump work harder to flush. Maybe worthwhile removing, checking and cleaning before it actually stops working. A toilet you cant have a dump in really is a bit of a waste of time!

• Greenie 1

Came back tonight and all appears back to normal. My guess at the moment is the toilet paper. I think possibly it isn’t shredding properly and was getting clogged up but over the day has gone soft enough to separate. I’m going to try thinner stuff and see how it goes. Thanks again.

4 minutes ago, Karl said:

Came back tonight and all appears back to normal. My guess at the moment is the toilet paper. I think possibly it isn’t shredding properly and was getting clogged up but over the day has gone soft enough to separate. I’m going to try thinner stuff and see how it goes. Thanks again.

If I ever want to test a loo I use a few slices of bread (pref the ends) wetted and moulded to a generous and appropriate size. Not so bad to shift if it doesnt work ?

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Those plastic tenners are cheaper, and you can use both sides then rinse them!

I have to say that my stupid macerator bog has no problem with even oodles of standard bog paper. Is Thetford stuff a proper rip off? I spose it is?

Not the first time I’ve posted this, so apologies to those who are fed up with it! To test suitability of toilet paper for a macerator:

1 Place one sheet of paper in a jar of water

2 Let stand for a couple of minutes, not more than five

3 Stir with spoon or other utensil of choice

4 Paper should disintegrate into small shreds.

Any paper that does this is fine, no others are.

If the macerator is struggling to cope with ordinary paper, it’s likely scaled up. Treat it with either LeeSan descaler since you’re rich and can afford Thetford toilet paper or else acetic acid (“non-brewed condiment”) or phosphoric acid bought online. You want about a 10% solution. Ideally, let the macerator stand full of descaler for several hours, preferably overnight.

• Greenie 1