Help with pipe fitting please

Featured Posts

You might remember I had a problem with my Mikuni last month where it turned out I had bent the fuel pipe when I was servicing the engine. I've now had a look to get it sorted & running again. The picture shows the problem, the silver tube is part of the glowplug boss and it appears that there was a short piece of brass pipe soldered in the end & connected to the copper fuel pipe from the pump with the coupling shown. The short piece of brass pipe has snapped off (and is left in the end of the coupling shown).  I am left with the silver pipe which has an OD (measured with micrometer) of 6mm to reconnect to the copper pipe OD 4.75mm.

What connector do I need to get please.  Thanks 

Mikuni.jpg.54f9348183d86c2aa043e6bb2f4c1701.jpg

4.75mm could actually be 3/16" (4.7625mm). Could the 6mm pipe actually be 1/4"? There are 3/16" to 1/4" straight compression couplings. See Wade catalogue, page 7. You may well get away with using a 6mm pipe in a 1/4" compression fitting if it is a metric 6mm, rather than imperial. There are 1/4" to 6mm couplings too (page 6), if you want to do it exactly, so Mikuni pipe to 1/4" pipe, then 1/4" to 3/16 in two fittings.

Or, 6mm compression to 1/4" BSPT taper female (Wade MC106/164), joined on to a 3/16" compression to 1/4" BSPT taper male (Wade 7061/3). Lots of other ways to do it.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

Thinking it over, probably easiest to do it by following my second paragraph above. On the 6mm pipe from the Mikuni, 6mm compression fitting to 1/4" BSPT female thread, joined to a 1/4"BSPT thread to 3/16" compression fitting to the 3/16" copper supply pipe. Wade part numbers MC106/164 and 7061/3.

Jen