Survey price London vs further North

Kudzucraft

Featured Posts

Curiosity question here, trying to learn as much as I can.  We are not ready to buy a boat but we still watch the online ads really close.  Yesterday we saw our boat. This one ticked off every box and even a few I didn't know I wanted.  If we were there, we would have left right then for London to see it. Assuming it checked out I think we would have bought it.

Being in London it got me wondering how hard, if at all, it would be to arrange for a survey? And how much more, if any, would it cost being in London?

Everything I read says services are cheap the further North you go. Would I be right in assuming that London would be the most expensive place to haul out and have a survey done?  I have always assumed I would find a boat in the Midland area but obviously you never know where that right boat will pop up.

Edited by Kudzucraft

If its in a marina with facilities you will pay their prices plus the surveyors costs and travel. So its a balancing act.

(he said boating for four days to get to his known surveyor for a certificate)

up north things may be cheaper but as the boats down south you are stuck with it.

id wonder more about the london premium if its got a re negotiatable london mooring

5 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

Curiosity question here, trying to learn as much as I can.  We are not ready to buy a boat but we still watch the online ads really close.  Yesterday we saw our boat. This one ticked off every box and even a few I didn't know I wanted.  If we were there, we would have left right then for London to see it. Assuming it checked out I think we would have bought it.

Being in London it got me wondering how hard, if at all, it would be to arrange for a survey? And how much more, if any, would it cost being in London?

Everything I read says services are cheap the further North you go. Would I be right in assuming that London would be the most expensive place to haul out and have a survey done?  I have always assumed I would find a boat in the Midland area but obviously you never know where that right boat will pop up.

I recently produced a list of dry docks and slipways in the London area where surveys may be carried out. Contacting them should give you some idea of prices and importantly, availability.  

It is at:

http://www.timslondonwaterwayphotos.uk/index.php/regent-s-canal-3/london-dry-docks-slipways

Edited by Tim Lewis

Don't get too hung up about the price of the survey and if it will cost more or not. If you find the right boat then it is not worth cutting corners. It may take you a long time to find another boat that is right and you will always wonder what might have been. 

We found "that" boat and wanted a surveyor who had experience of historic boats who was not booked up for the next 6 weeks to do the survey. It turned out the only one we could find at short notice was one who is usually based in and around London and the south east. We had to pay for him to travel to Lymm in Cheshire and some overnight accommodation to boot but consider his fee to have been worth every penny 

38 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Don't get too hung up about the price of the survey and if it will cost more or not. If you find the right boat then it is not worth cutting corners. It may take you a long time to find another boat that is right and you will always wonder what might have been. 

We found "that" boat and wanted a surveyor who had experience of historic boats who was not booked up for the next 6 weeks to do the survey. It turned out the only one we could find at short notice was one who is usually based in and around London and the south east. We had to pay for him to travel to Lymm in Cheshire and some overnight accommodation to boot but consider his fee to have been worth every penny 

Plus chocolate hobnob fee.