Hoo Rochester to Preston ?

W+T

Featured Posts

Well found a new boat BUT its i Hoo Rochester Kent and want to cruise it half way if not all the way up the canals/rivers to Preston.

Not a cue on down south so any advice on where we have to go to join the main system will be great please.

Yep, i could get it delivered but wheres the fun in that hey :)Its a Freeman 30 GRP.

Captain Faffer :)

A Freeman 30 is over 7ft beam - so it cannot be done using only inland waterways.  Without lifting it out (or cutting it up) you would have to resort to running up the East Coast from the Thames Estuary to the River Witham, near Boston.  Or something braver still.

Edited by Tacet

1 minute ago, W+T said:

Well found a new boat BUT its i Hoo Rochester Kent and want to cruise it half way if not all the way up the canals/rivers to Preston.

Not a cue on down south so any advice on where we have to go to join the main system will be great please.

Yep, i could get it delivered but wheres the fun in that hey :)Its a Freeman 30 GRP.

Captain Faffer :)

Are the 30 foot ones not about 10 feet wide?

Tony Andersen for a trailer shift at 30 feet, or lorry.  It simply won't fit up the middle.  If it's seaworthy you could take it round the coast a bit, but I'm assuming it's another project boat for you.

Yes it is a new project, twin engine Freeman 30, one engine not running but could be easy fix. not sure yet.

Ha, now then found the map i was looking for

So if i got it to the GU at London then cruised it to GU Northampton Branch and craned to the Market Harbourgh then cruise north the River Trent and head North ?? looks good ????

Edited by W+T

7 minutes ago, W+T said:

Yes it is a new project, twin engine Freeman 30, one engine not running but could be easy fix. not sure yet.

Ha, now then found the map i was looking for

So if i got it to the GU at London then cruised it to GU Northampton Branch and craned to the Market Harbourgh then cruise north the River Trent and head North ?? looks good ????

That might be a cheap job for Tony - he is based near Milton Keynes. 

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get a 30 x 10 foot boat up the slipway at Gayton though.  My Nauticus 27 x 6'10" only just fitted, and Tony thought he was going to need to use his front towball to get her off the top of the ramp!  One of the marinas nearby has a slipway, but I don't know what they charge for it.

19 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That might be a cheap job for Tony - he is based near Milton Keynes. 

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get a 30 x 10 foot boat up the slipway at Gayton though.  My Nauticus 27 x 6'10" only just fitted, and Tony thought he was going to need to use his front towball to get her off the top of the ramp!  One of the marinas nearby has a slipway, but I don't know what they charge for it.

Just sent him a message. 

I am going donw in  fe weeks to look at it. sounds good but not sure on the price, i know they fetch good money but still, it s good project, as in good `needs a good bit doing` but has good Bedford engines fitted. On props is a good thing to me aswel. 

Oooo

Freeman 30 specs, good beam be close on some bridges though on the Lancaster.  

• Length: 29ft 6in (9.07m)
  • Beam: 9ft 11in (3.06m)
  • Draught: 2ft 6in (0.76m)
  • Airdraught: 7ft 10in (2.38m)

I think it will be a bit big and heavy for Tony's trailer.

18 hours ago, W+T said:

Oooo

Freeman 30 specs, good beam be close on some bridges though on the Lancaster.  

• Length: 29ft 6in (9.07m)
  • Beam: 9ft 11in (3.06m)
  • Draught: 2ft 6in (0.76m)
  • Airdraught: 7ft 10in (2.38m)

Nice boats those Freeman 30's. There are a couple kicking around on the Fossdyke. 

Which engines has it got?

If it is the big straight 6 Fords they are based on tractor engines so the parts are easy enough to come by. They sound awesome thumping away in the Freeman.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

I think it will be a bit big and heavy for Tony's trailer.

Nice boats those Freeman 30's. There are a couple kicking around on the Fossdyke. 

Which engines has it got?

If it is the big straight 6 Fords they are based on tractor engines so the parts are easy enough to come by. They sound awesome thumping away in the Freeman.

It has the Bedford 4cyl engines, good enough if i can get it at the correct price.  not the best but if there runners, which they are i am happy, well but for one needing a lift pump. Will need to see if i can get one for it.

I have come up with a plan, road transport to Beeston some where on the Trent, i have a chap getting me a price and where he thinks best launch will be with the Hiab. the off up to to L&L Skipton way, less stoppages and that. And dont fancy leaving th boat in Manchester. 

Same time roughly anyway of a 15 day cruise,  Will do it in stages, first maybe a 8 day then weekends etc. 

If you're planning on crossing the Ribble Link with it, I understand that there is currently a suspension on new bookings for widebeams due to an obstruction in Savick Brook, so best to check with CRT what the current status is with that.

8 hours ago, rgreg said:

If you're planning on crossing the Ribble Link with it, I understand that there is currently a suspension on new bookings for widebeams due to an obstruction in Savick Brook, so best to check with CRT what the current status is with that.

I plan to but i doubt it will be for a while until i get there with it. If i get it will be a few month no doubt.

6 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

If you want some tips for the trip from the Medway to Bow Locks, this may be helpful.  You want to come down from Rochester on the ebb, arriving at Southend at low water, and then ride the flood up to Bow.

https://nbsg.wordpress.com/medway/

I will look into that thanks.

Not 100% sure where in Nottingham i will launch it. depends on the road transport. I am going to start another thread for recommendations for that.

It will be close on the Aire draught on the Lank`y as there 8 foot. will fill the Bilge Bar before we set off......and every night thereafter to keep the boat a weee bit lower ;) .