Water pump for cleaning engine bilge?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

We used cheap cat litter in an old pillow case for the last remaining traces of liquid which we couldn't scoop out. Worked a treat.

Hi Lysander

Thanks for that. 

I am looking for what solution I should use to clean and degrease the sump area?

Ideally I want to paint the area afterwards.

Thanks 

4 hours ago, Steve Manc said:

Hi Lysander

Thanks for that. 

I am looking for what solution I should use to clean and degrease the sump area?

Ideally I want to paint the area afterwards.

Thanks 

I used Gunk in a green tin, (might have been the eco friendly version). Worked a treat, washed out with loads of water, and sucked out with a Wet and Dry Vac, (£40 or so from Wickes). One coat of Vactan over the engine bay, then 2 x primer, 2 x undercoat, 2 x Bilge paint.

I think I got the idea for Gunk from the YouTuber "Cruising The Cut". He has a video on cleaning his engine bay, (with the engine removed).

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I used Gunk in a green tin, (might have been the eco friendly version). Worked a treat, washed out with loads of water, and sucked out with a Wet and Dry Vac, (£40 or so from Wickes). One coat of Vactan over the engine bay, then 2 x primer, 2 x undercoat, 2 x Bilge paint.

I think I got the idea for Gunk from the YouTuber "Cruising The Cut". He has a video on cleaning his engine bay, (with the engine removed).

Here's the video when he gets delivery of the Gunk from 5:30 to 8:50

and here's the video where he uses it. Unless very interested you first see the tin at 8:00 minutes. He does a bit of scraping and fluid and rust removal before this. One thing I noticed is that, in the previous video he had bought Fertan for treating his rust, and described the instructions as "a bit of a faff". In this video, which is some time later, he uses Vactan, which is much less faff.

• Greenie 1