Water pump for cleaning engine bilge?

Featured Posts

Annoyingly my engine bilge manages to collect water in places that are out of reach of the bilge pump. 

Does anyone recommend a pump suitable for pumping bilge waste into a bucket? This will help massively when cleaning the bilge. I have a Karcher wet & dry vac though it's a somewhat big and bulky and is now extremely noisy, despite taking it apart and giving it a good clean! Looking for a simple solution. The use of nappies doesn't quite cut it unfortunately.

Cheers

I'm in the wet & dry camp. I have a Karcher and agree it's quite bulky. I bought a slightly smaller one from Screwfix some time ago but can't bring myself to use (and cover it in oil). As for the noise?...............ear plugs????

Edited by Slim

Just done this job ready for repainted engine bay. 

Found this tool invaluable 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Manual-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B000RA16CO

Similar pumps are available on ebay at a lower price but I am not sure about the quality of them whilst the genuine Sealey ones are very good quality, mine cost circa £70.

Very useful item to have on board as can be used for oil water, greasy water and I have also used it for diesel. 

The different tubes and extensions allow you to get into those awkward corners although some patience is required as easily blocked when sucking up dirty bilge water. 

Highly recommended as a piece of on board equipment. 

12 minutes ago, reg said:

Just done this job ready for repainted engine bay. 

Found this tool invaluable 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Manual-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B000RA16CO

Similar pumps are available on ebay at a lower price but I am not sure about the quality of them whilst the genuine Sealey ones are very good quality, mine cost circa £70.

Very useful item to have on board as can be used for oil water, greasy water and I have also used it for diesel. 

The different tubes and extensions allow you to get into those awkward corners although some patience is required as easily blocked when sucking up dirty bilge water. 

Highly recommended as a piece of on board equipment. 

I've got one of those(badged Pela) and I stand by my vote for a wet and dry. 

On 14/07/2019 at 19:45, Slim said:

I'm in the wet & dry camp. I have a Karcher and agree it's quite bulky. I bought a slightly smaller one from Screwfix some time ago but can't bring myself to use (and cover it in oil). As for the noise?...............ear plugs????

I use an old wet & dry vac too. With

The long vacuum intake tube I can reach anywhere in the engine bilge and get everything out. 

I don't have any oil or grease in my bilges. I've only ever used the wet vac for getting the old antifreeze out after changing it. 

When I see the state of some boat engine bilges I'm so glad to have a water lubricated stern gland and an engine without oil leaks.

I remember during a BSS inspection several years ago when the inspector said "It's so nice to see a clean, dry engine space. You wouldn't believe some of the crap I have to deal with."

Edited by blackrose

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I don't have any oil or grease in my bilges. I've only ever used the wet vac for getting the old antifreeze out after changing it. 

When I see the state of some boat engine bilges I'm so glad to have a water lubricated stern gland and an engine without oil leaks.

I remember during a BSS inspection several years ago when the inspector said "It's so nice to see a clean, dry engine space. You wouldn't believe some of the crap I have to deal with."

Wait until the ceramic seal parts company with the the rubber cup- you will have plenty of water in there then! Know a boat this has just happened to a few days ago. Their bilge pump got a good work out and theyve just had the stern gland replaced with the old fashioned type and a greaser..

On 14/07/2019 at 19:45, Slim said:

This is really for new boaters reading this topic.

Then yours is either a very badly maintained boat or you are trying to clear out a badly looked after engine drip tray. The contents of the bilge and engine tray should never meet and if by some chance they do then any oil in the bilge needs sorting. You can not avoid some oil and fuel getting into the engine drip tray when servicing or form minor leaks so a white oil absorbent bilge blanket put into the drip tray and changed after every service will absorb any oil and fuel. They will not normally absorb water so I deal with  any coolant leaks with a disposable nappy. If you follow this advice on the majority of boats the engine drip tray will remain clean and only a bit damp - usually damp with an oil film.

If the bilge is oily the roll up a bilge blanket and put into the bilge. I put one on each side of the engine beds as far back as i can. After a couple of weeks they will have absorbed most of the oil so the bilge water is clean enough to pump to the canal or spread along the hedge line.

Bilge blankets are cheap enough online under oil absorbent pads.

As for noise my old Electrolux W&D had the bilge dry ans sucked all the crap out like dead leaves (cruiser stern) in two sessions each of no more than a minute long.

Edited by Tony Brooks

18 hours ago, blackrose said:

My boat also has a water lubricated stern gland and consequently a dry bilge. When I had it surveyed the surveyor knocked £50 off "because it didnt have to get filthy grubbing around in an oily bilge". ?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

When I had it surveyed the surveyor knocked £50 off "because it didnt have to get filthy grubbing around in an oily bilge". ?

I suspect his gesture was also in the hope that you would both recommend and name him :) 

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

This is really for new boaters reading this topic.

Then yours is either a very badly maintained boat or you are trying to clear out a badly looked after engine drip tray. The contents of the bilge and engine tray should never meet and if by some chance they do then any oil in the bilge needs sorting. You can not avoid some oil and fuel getting into the engine drip tray when servicing or form minor leaks so a white oil absorbent bilge blanket put into the drip tray and changed after every service will absorb any oil and fuel. They will not normally absorb water so I deal with  any coolant leaks with a disposable nappy. If you follow this advice on the majority of boats the engine drip tray will remain clean and only a bit damp - usually damp with an oil film.

If the bilge is oily the roll up a bilge blanket and put into the bilge. I put one on each side of the engine beds as far back as i can. After a couple of weeks they will have absorbed most of the oil so the bilge water is clean enough to pump to the canal or spread along the hedge line.

Bilge blankets are cheap enough online under oil absorbent pads.

As for noise my old Electrolux W&D had the bilge dry ans sucked all the crap out like dead leaves (cruiser stern) in two se3ssions each of no more than a minute long.

Actually Tony this is one instance where you don' t know what you're talking about. You have never seen my engine compartment ,nor are you ever likely to. My engine compartment is clean and oil free .I use oil absorbent sheets, which for your information are available on e bay for £9.99 for 20. If you can use a w & d on an engine compartment over an extended period of time without getting some oil on it you're a genius. Yes, you have annoyed me.

As it happens the last time I had a BSS the examiner commented on how clean the engine compartment was. I didn't get £50 knocked off.

Edited by Slim

Just now, Slim said:

Actually Tony this is one instance where you don' t know what you're talking about. You have never seen my engine compartment ,nor are you ever likely to. My engine compartment is clean and oil free .I use oil absorbent sheets, which for your information are available on e bay for £9.99 for 20. If you can use a w & d on an engine compartment over an extended period of time without getting some oil on it you're a genius. Yes, you have annoyed me

In that case why did you talk about covering your mates W&D vacuum cleaner in oil.

My rear bilge and engine tray are assimilate to yours but the difference is I never said anything about using a W&D cleaner in the drip tray. I said use bilge blankets to absorb the oil and the nappies to remove the water although sponging is just as effective.

Seems to me its you who does not read or comprehend properly. If you did you will understand we basically are saying the same thing only you clarified your assertion that you will make your mates vacuum cleaner oily.

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

In that case why did you talk about covering your mates W&D vacuum cleaner in oil.

My rear bilge and engine tray are assimilate to yours but the difference is I never said anything about using a W&D cleaner in the drip tray. I said use bilge blankets to absorb the oil and the nappies to remove the water although sponging is just as effective.

Seems to me its you who does not read or comprehend properly. If you did you will understand we basically are saying the same thing only you clarified your assertion that you will make your mates vacuum cleaner oily.

Prehaps you are the onewho has not read or comprehended properly. I never mentioned mentioned using or covering with oil a mats w & d. In fact to the best of my knowledge I do't have a boating friend who has a w & d. They all borrow mine.

End of debate

4 minutes ago, Slim said:

Prehaps you are the onewho has not read or comprehended properly. I never mentioned mentioned using or covering with oil a mats w & d. In fact to the best of my knowledge I do't have a boating friend who has a w & d. They all borrow mine.

End of debate

No you said I quote "cover it in oil". It was The Biscuits who borrow their mates and agrees with you but you said you would cover yours in oil - as you said "end of debate" as you do not seem to know what you wrote. Especially as you now claim you would not cover it is oil for cleaning the BILGE

21 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Wait until the ceramic seal parts company with the the rubber cup- you will have plenty of water in there then! Know a boat this has just happened to a few days ago. Their bilge pump got a good work out and theyve just had the stern gland replaced with the old fashioned type and a greaser..

It's not a given that the gland will fail in the way you describe and I've heard about very few failures. I suspect the owner of the one you saw didn't maintain his. Anyway if I get water in the engine room it's fine, I can just pump it out. What I don't want is a layer of grease in there.

My water lubricated gland is 14 years old. If I need to replace it I'll replace it with another water lubricated gland, maybe the Volvo model. I think forum member Catweasel fitted one fairly easily. I'd never fit an old fashioned greasy gland. Had one of them on my last boat. They're horrible things and I've seen a few of them fail too through lack of maintenance.

Edited by blackrose

22 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I suspect his gesture was also in the hope that you would both recommend and name him :) 

I have several times, Craig Allen, however his website appears to no longer be active.

• 3 months later...

Having read this thread.

Planning to use oil and diesel pads to soak up oil or diesel in my boat bilge. Wet vac to vacuum up the water. I will then use a sponge on the end of a grab to clean unreachable area by hand. 

I have cleaned  the reachable parts of the engine using Wonder Wipes.

What decreasing solution should I use on the sponge?

Thanks