Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a good quality shopping trolley? Ideally I want a trolley with a removeable basket so the frame can be used for toilet cassettes, bags of coal or even gas bottles if necessary. Unfortunately most of the trollies on the market have pathetic plastic wheels and just aren't up to towpath use. The obvious robust choice for the towpath is a wheelbarrow, I just can't see me pushing one around Aldi.

if it exists I want a trolley that is foldaway, off road capable, sturdy enough to handle quite heavy weight (50-60kg) and still practical enough to do the weekly shop.

any recommendations or links would be appiciated

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Can anyone recommend a good quality shopping trolley? Ideally I want a trolley with a removeable basket so the frame can be used for toilet cassettes, bags of coal or even gas bottles if necessary. Unfortunately most of the trollies on the market have pathetic plastic wheels and just aren't up to towpath use. The obvious robust choice for the towpath is a wheelbarrow, I just can't see me pushing one around Aldi.

if it exists I want a trolley that is foldaway, off road capable, sturdy enough to handle quite heavy weight (50-60kg) and still practical enough to do the weekly shop.

any recommendations or links would be appiciated

Have a look at fishing trolleys 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five minutes with a magnet and line anywhere on the canal system should get you a supermarket trolley! 😀

+1 on @tree monkey's suggestion. Fishing trolleys are designed to take heavy loads on rough terrain and fisherman these days have no end of kit to lug around.

 

Jen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I just can't see me pushing one around Aldi.

Aldi regularly have 'sack-barrows'.

Perfect for gas bottles and cassettes, with some adaption easy to hang / attach large shopping bags.

 

I even carried a leather recliner chair and foot stool from Aldi on our sack-barrow. It was about a mile and 'trundled' perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Aldi regularly have 'sack-barrows'.

Perfect for gas bottles and cassettes, with some adaption easy to hang / attach large shopping bags.

 

I even carried a leather recliner chair and foot stool from Aldi on our sack-barrow. It was about a mile and 'trundled' perfectly.

But then you might be accused by Aldi of stealing the sack barrow you've taken there to carry your shopping. Unless you customise it with say, your boats colour scheme.

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Aldi regularly have 'sack-barrows'.

Perfect for gas bottles and cassettes, with some adaption easy to hang / attach large shopping bags.

 

I even carried a leather recliner chair and foot stool from Aldi on our sack-barrow. It was about a mile and 'trundled' perfectly.

I managed to wheel a single bed about half a mile on our sack truck.

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need the largest pneumatic wheels to cope with ruts and pot holes.  Small wheels just jar and get swallowed on uneven surfaces.

You also need a strong frame if you're going to dump gas bottles and porta potti thingies in it.  You don't want the body of it twisting or giving way negotiating a kerb or on a rough bit of towpath.

I can't imagine meeting those essential requirements will present something suitable for pushing around a supermarket.

 

Perhaps if you went for something like [url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oypla-Heavy-Metal-Gardening-Trolley/dp/B00HU2OBNS/ref=asc_df_B00HU2OBNS/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205291394354&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=745948766478643145&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006876&hvtargid=pla-422392620415&psc=1] this garden trolley[/url]

 

And chained it up outside the shops while you used their trolley inside.  Where would you keep it on board though?  I hate stuff piled on the roof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Where would you keep it on board though?

I recently saw a boat with one of those in front of the cratch board, laid on its side. It looked quite a reasonable place. Didn't extend outside the boat's width and very accessible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one of those "heavy garden trolleys" and it is fantastic. It really is brilliant on different terrain, it's really easy to handle and steer, it's really stable, it doesn't have any breaks but if you think it might roll when left unattended then you face it in the right direction and swivel its wheels and it usually sits just fine, you can remove the sides so you just have a flatbed which is still really stable but it's also really easy to add bungie too. I love mine and it copes with so much abuse poor thing, I bought mine in a garden centre in Devon over 10 years ago, it's had a paint touch up but apart from that she good. I thought about mentioning it before but I wondered if it might be a bit bulky for a narrowboat, the only down side is that it might be a bit difficult to store. You can get several different sizes so it's worth checking the dimensions of them before you hit buy. 

 

It did come in more than handy when my dog took very ill quite suddenly, she had to be rushed to the vets and couldn't move around under her own steam nor was she ok with being lifted so I dismantled the trolley and placed a mat on it then gently got her onto the trolley, she could then by wheeled in stead of carried and the trolley could be lifted meaning she remained stable. From the time she left home to having her examination to returning home she didn't need to be removed from the trolley once. She was a medium sized dog. With her medication she became her usual perky self but her skin was very tender so walking on anything but the softest ground would be painful for her we solved this by using the trolley to wheel her from one soft bit to ground to the next, she was quite the sensation in our village. She's long past now but she is still something of a local celebrity with her trolley. 

 

 

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg

  • Greenie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Aldi regularly have 'sack-barrows'.

I really need to start writing my proposed 'English to English' dictionary.  Had to use Google UK on that one.  In the states it is known as a Hand Truck.

 

Anyway the wife and I had this conversation this morning. I have a  'sack-barrow' I converts to a flat cart and even has extra fold out wheels that it will lean back on. Very versatile and very handy.  Mine doesn't have big pneumatic ties but with those this would be a really good choice. They make many styles including folding versions that would be easy to store. Finding one along the canal might be hard though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

I really need to start writing my proposed 'English to English' dictionary.

So long as you remember the gas is gas and it's definitely not petrol you'll be fine. :D

 

Or maybe that should be petrol is petrol and it's definitely not gas :huh:

Edited by Tumshie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

So long as you remember the gas is gas and it's definitely not petrol you'll be fine. :D

 

Or maybe that should be petrol is petrol and it's definitely not gas :huh:

That depends on which side of the pond you are on. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I have one of those "heavy garden trolleys" and it is fantastic. It really is brilliant on different terrain, it's really easy to handle and steer, it's really stable, it doesn't have any breaks but if you think it might roll when left unattended then you face it in the right direction and swivel its wheels and it usually sits just fine, you can remove the sides so you just have a flatbed which is still really stable but it's also really easy to add bungie too. I love mine and it copes with so much abuse poor thing, I bought mine in a garden centre in Devon over 10 years ago, it's had a paint touch up but apart from that she good. I thought about mentioning it before but I wondered if it might be a bit bulky for a narrowboat, the only down side is that it might be a bit difficult to store. You can get several different sizes so it's worth checking the dimensions of them before you hit buy. 

 

It did come in more than handy when my dog took very ill quite suddenly, she had to be rushed to the vets and couldn't move around under her own steam nor was she ok with being lifted so I dismantled the trolley and placed a mat on it then gently got her onto the trolley, she could then by wheeled in stead of carried and the trolley could be lifted meaning she remained stable. From the time she left home to having her examination to returning home she didn't need to be removed from the trolley once. She was a medium sized dog. With her medication she became her usual perky self but her skin was very tender so walking on anything but the softest ground would be painful for her we solved this by using the trolley to wheel her from one soft bit to ground to the next, she was quite the sensation in our village. She's long past now but she is still something of a local celebrity with her trolley. 

 

 

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg

I have the same trolley, brilliant bit of kit, I can flatpack it in under 10 minutes then it is very easy to store when not in use.

 

Rick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As well as the 'Sack-Barrow' I have this for the boat-bike (carries up to 40kg)

Both bike and trailer fold up and they fits under one of the seats in the dining room.

 

 

A3.jpg

 

Trailer 1.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

That depends on which side of the pond you are on. 🙂

I rather thought that was the point I was making - you're on a British forum discussing when you come to Britain, for the most part we in Britain have long practice at deciphering Americanisms so you're American English to English English dictionary is probably nothing to worry about, but if (when you're in Britain) you ask for gas when you want petrol you probably won't get petrol. The gas/petrol thing is probably the only thing that doesn't translate well. But hay, you do you as they say. 

 

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As well as the 'Sack-Barrow' I have this for the boat-bike (carries up to 40kg)

Both bike and trailer fold up and they fits under one of the seats in the dining room.

Trailer 1.png

Oh that's brilliant :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a folding wheelbarrow. Will carry 2 sacks of coal or 2 cassettes with no problem. Has a solid tyre which can jar at times but at least won't puncture.

LS6255D_l.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Can anyone recommend a good quality shopping trolley? Ideally I want a trolley with a removeable basket so the frame can be used for toilet cassettes, bags of coal or even gas bottles if necessary. Unfortunately most of the trollies on the market have pathetic plastic wheels and just aren't up to towpath use. The obvious robust choice for the towpath is a wheelbarrow, I just can't see me pushing one around Aldi.

if it exists I want a trolley that is foldaway, off road capable, sturdy enough to handle quite heavy weight (50-60kg) and still practical enough to do the weekly shop.

any recommendations or links would be appiciated

 

My wife uses a Rolser shopping trolly on the boat and has another at home.

 

She swears by them for strength and reliability.

 

Not the cheapest but long lasting apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We bought a used shopping trolley from a charity shop. It does us well. It's the type that has three wheels on each side of the axel so goes up and down steps and curbs with little effort. It doesn't half carry some weight when we do a big shop with all the tins  and other heavy stuff. If we break it, no problem, get another one for a tenner. 

Edited by Nightwatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maxresdefault.jpg

13 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I have one of those "heavy garden trolleys" and it is fantastic. It really is brilliant on different terrain, it's really easy to handle and steer, it's really stable, it doesn't have any breaks but if you think it might roll when left unattended then you face it in the right direction and swivel its wheels and it usually sits just fine, you can remove the sides so you just have a flatbed which is still really stable but it's also really easy to add bungie too. I love mine and it copes with so much abuse poor thing, I bought mine in a garden centre in Devon over 10 years ago, it's had a paint touch up but apart from that she good. I thought about mentioning it before but I wondered if it might be a bit bulky for a narrowboat, the only down side is that it might be a bit difficult to store. You can get several different sizes so it's worth checking the dimensions of them before you hit buy. 

 

It did come in more than handy when my dog took very ill quite suddenly, she had to be rushed to the vets and couldn't move around under her own steam nor was she ok with being lifted so I dismantled the trolley and placed a mat on it then gently got her onto the trolley, she could then by wheeled in stead of carried and the trolley could be lifted meaning she remained stable. From the time she left home to having her examination to returning home she didn't need to be removed from the trolley once. She was a medium sized dog. With her medication she became her usual perky self but her skin was very tender so walking on anything but the softest ground would be painful for her we solved this by using the trolley to wheel her from one soft bit to ground to the next, she was quite the sensation in our village. She's long past now but she is still something of a local celebrity with her trolley. 

 

 

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg

Used to have one of these at the schoole where i worked, for moving computers and printers etc around. Very good kit.
I once forgot to put it away and found the kids careering up and down the school yard on it. It even survived that abuse :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/07/2019 at 19:23, Alan de Enfield said:

Aldi regularly have 'sack-barrows'.

Perfect for gas bottles and cassettes, with some adaption

Agree with Alan. 13kg gas, cassette, coal x3 bags, crates of kit (car to boat), compost (at home) and others with judicious use of bungee cords. One on board, one at home. Folds virtually flat so lives in a cupboard. Customised with hand grip and foot board. Light enough to carry to/around supermarket then steal empty box to carry groceries. Comes around periodically at around £15. Worth its weight.......

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen plenty of boats with the 4 wheel garden trollies rusting away on the roofs they look sturdy enough but not very practically getting up and down some of the steps (or mud banks that pretend to be steps) from the towpath to the road that is quite often the only access from the cut to shops whilst out cruising. 

A basic shopping trolley is all I really need as most of the time shopping is all it will be used for, it's just that they fall apart or the wheels brake so easily. I was just hoping a more rugged one was on the market, a shopping trolley with the build quality and strength of a sack barrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about one of these 

https://claxtrolley.co.uk/products/clax

 

Although at £175 I would want it to go off and do the shopping for me.

 

I've never seen one or used one so I have no idea if they are any good or not.

Edited by Rob-M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.