Trolley?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a good quality shopping trolley? Ideally I want a trolley with a removeable basket so the frame can be used for toilet cassettes, bags of coal or even gas bottles if necessary. Unfortunately most of the trollies on the market have pathetic plastic wheels and just aren't up to towpath use. The obvious robust choice for the towpath is a wheelbarrow, I just can't see me pushing one around Aldi.

if it exists I want a trolley that is foldaway, off road capable, sturdy enough to handle quite heavy weight (50-60kg) and still practical enough to do the weekly shop.

any recommendations or links would be appiciated

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Can anyone recommend a good quality shopping trolley? Ideally I want a trolley with a removeable basket so the frame can be used for toilet cassettes, bags of coal or even gas bottles if necessary. Unfortunately most of the trollies on the market have pathetic plastic wheels and just aren't up to towpath use. The obvious robust choice for the towpath is a wheelbarrow, I just can't see me pushing one around Aldi.

if it exists I want a trolley that is foldaway, off road capable, sturdy enough to handle quite heavy weight (50-60kg) and still practical enough to do the weekly shop.

Have a look at fishing trolleys 

28 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I just can't see me pushing one around Aldi.

Aldi regularly have 'sack-barrows'.

Perfect for gas bottles and cassettes, with some adaption easy to hang / attach large shopping bags.

I even carried a leather recliner chair and foot stool from Aldi on our sack-barrow. It was about a mile and 'trundled' perfectly.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Perfect for gas bottles and cassettes, with some adaption easy to hang / attach large shopping bags.

I even carried a leather recliner chair and foot stool from Aldi on our sack-barrow. It was about a mile and 'trundled' perfectly.

But then you might be accused by Aldi of stealing the sack barrow you've taken there to carry your shopping. Unless you customise it with say, your boats colour scheme.

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I managed to wheel a single bed about half a mile on our sack truck.

• Happy 1

You need the largest pneumatic wheels to cope with ruts and pot holes.  Small wheels just jar and get swallowed on uneven surfaces.

You also need a strong frame if you're going to dump gas bottles and porta potti thingies in it.  You don't want the body of it twisting or giving way negotiating a kerb or on a rough bit of towpath.

I can't imagine meeting those essential requirements will present something suitable for pushing around a supermarket.

Perhaps if you went for something like [url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oypla-Heavy-Metal-Gardening-Trolley/dp/B00HU2OBNS/ref=asc_df_B00HU2OBNS/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205291394354&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=745948766478643145&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006876&hvtargid=pla-422392620415&psc=1] this garden trolley[/url]

And chained it up outside the shops while you used their trolley inside.  Where would you keep it on board though?  I hate stuff piled on the roof. 

5 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Where would you keep it on board though?

I recently saw a boat with one of those in front of the cratch board, laid on its side. It looked quite a reasonable place. Didn't extend outside the boat's width and very accessible.

I have one of those "heavy garden trolleys" and it is fantastic. It really is brilliant on different terrain, it's really easy to handle and steer, it's really stable, it doesn't have any breaks but if you think it might roll when left unattended then you face it in the right direction and swivel its wheels and it usually sits just fine, you can remove the sides so you just have a flatbed which is still really stable but it's also really easy to add bungie too. I love mine and it copes with so much abuse poor thing, I bought mine in a garden centre in Devon over 10 years ago, it's had a paint touch up but apart from that she good. I thought about mentioning it before but I wondered if it might be a bit bulky for a narrowboat, the only down side is that it might be a bit difficult to store. You can get several different sizes so it's worth checking the dimensions of them before you hit buy. 

It did come in more than handy when my dog took very ill quite suddenly, she had to be rushed to the vets and couldn't move around under her own steam nor was she ok with being lifted so I dismantled the trolley and placed a mat on it then gently got her onto the trolley, she could then by wheeled in stead of carried and the trolley could be lifted meaning she remained stable. From the time she left home to having her examination to returning home she didn't need to be removed from the trolley once. She was a medium sized dog. With her medication she became her usual perky self but her skin was very tender so walking on anything but the softest ground would be painful for her we solved this by using the trolley to wheel her from one soft bit to ground to the next, she was quite the sensation in our village. She's long past now but she is still something of a local celebrity with her trolley. 

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I really need to start writing my proposed 'English to English' dictionary.  Had to use Google UK on that one.  In the states it is known as a Hand Truck.

Anyway the wife and I had this conversation this morning. I have a  'sack-barrow' I converts to a flat cart and even has extra fold out wheels that it will lean back on. Very versatile and very handy.  Mine doesn't have big pneumatic ties but with those this would be a really good choice. They make many styles including folding versions that would be easy to store. Finding one along the canal might be hard though. 

12 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

I really need to start writing my proposed 'English to English' dictionary.

So long as you remember the gas is gas and it's definitely not petrol you'll be fine. :D

Or maybe that should be petrol is petrol and it's definitely not gas :huh:

Edited by Tumshie

3 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I have one of those "heavy garden trolleys" and it is fantastic. It really is brilliant on different terrain, it's really easy to handle and steer, it's really stable, it doesn't have any breaks but if you think it might roll when left unattended then you face it in the right direction and swivel its wheels and it usually sits just fine, you can remove the sides so you just have a flatbed which is still really stable but it's also really easy to add bungie too. I love mine and it copes with so much abuse poor thing, I bought mine in a garden centre in Devon over 10 years ago, it's had a paint touch up but apart from that she good. I thought about mentioning it before but I wondered if it might be a bit bulky for a narrowboat, the only down side is that it might be a bit difficult to store. You can get several different sizes so it's worth checking the dimensions of them before you hit buy. 

It did come in more than handy when my dog took very ill quite suddenly, she had to be rushed to the vets and couldn't move around under her own steam nor was she ok with being lifted so I dismantled the trolley and placed a mat on it then gently got her onto the trolley, she could then by wheeled in stead of carried and the trolley could be lifted meaning she remained stable. From the time she left home to having her examination to returning home she didn't need to be removed from the trolley once. She was a medium sized dog. With her medication she became her usual perky self but her skin was very tender so walking on anything but the softest ground would be painful for her we solved this by using the trolley to wheel her from one soft bit to ground to the next, she was quite the sensation in our village. She's long past now but she is still something of a local celebrity with her trolley. 

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg

I have the same trolley, brilliant bit of kit, I can flatpack it in under 10 minutes then it is very easy to store when not in use.

Rick 

7 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

That depends on which side of the pond you are on. ?

I rather thought that was the point I was making - you're on a British forum discussing when you come to Britain, for the most part we in Britain have long practice at deciphering Americanisms so you're American English to English English dictionary is probably nothing to worry about, but if (when you're in Britain) you ask for gas when you want petrol you probably won't get petrol. The gas/petrol thing is probably the only thing that doesn't translate well. But hay, you do you as they say. 

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As well as the 'Sack-Barrow' I have this for the boat-bike (carries up to 40kg)

Both bike and trailer fold up and they fits under one of the seats in the dining room.

Trailer 1.png

Oh that's brilliant :D 

13 hours ago, Bewildered said:

My wife uses a Rolser shopping trolly on the boat and has another at home.

She swears by them for strength and reliability.

Not the cheapest but long lasting apparently.

We bought a used shopping trolley from a charity shop. It does us well. It's the type that has three wheels on each side of the axel so goes up and down steps and curbs with little effort. It doesn't half carry some weight when we do a big shop with all the tins  and other heavy stuff. If we break it, no problem, get another one for a tenner. 

Edited by Nightwatch

maxresdefault.jpg

13 hours ago, Tumshie said:

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg

Used to have one of these at the schoole where i worked, for moving computers and printers etc around. Very good kit.
I once forgot to put it away and found the kids careering up and down the school yard on it. It even survived that abuse :)

On 14/07/2019 at 19:23, Alan de Enfield said:

Perfect for gas bottles and cassettes, with some adaption

Agree with Alan. 13kg gas, cassette, coal x3 bags, crates of kit (car to boat), compost (at home) and others with judicious use of bungee cords. One on board, one at home. Folds virtually flat so lives in a cupboard. Customised with hand grip and foot board. Light enough to carry to/around supermarket then steal empty box to carry groceries. Comes around periodically at around £15. Worth its weight.......

• Greenie 1

I've seen plenty of boats with the 4 wheel garden trollies rusting away on the roofs they look sturdy enough but not very practically getting up and down some of the steps (or mud banks that pretend to be steps) from the towpath to the road that is quite often the only access from the cut to shops whilst out cruising. 

A basic shopping trolley is all I really need as most of the time shopping is all it will be used for, it's just that they fall apart or the wheels brake so easily. I was just hoping a more rugged one was on the market, a shopping trolley with the build quality and strength of a sack barrow.