Lol Moira lock like it says!!

You have good eyesight, I didn't spot any  labels/signs

Just now, roland elsdon said:

Its very water saving not being open or connected

Well I thought it was interesting bit of design 

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

You have good eyesight, I didn't spot any  labels/signs

Well I thought it was interesting bit of design 

The Weaver has intermittent gates on some locks but in nowhere near that condition

• Greenie 1

Several locks on the S Yorkshire Navigation have this feature. An intermediate set of gates for 60', or so size Humber Keel boats and outer gates for longer ones. Only Bramwith lock have I seen them in regular use and this is the only one which isn't power operated. Caused me some confusion the first time as approaching from the low side I  could see what looked like an empty lock, with the gates open, when in fact two boats were coming down the short lock section.

Some pictures on the Pennine Wateways site.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2

13 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Several locks on the S Yorkshire Navigation have this feature. An intermediate set of gates for 60', or so size Humber Keel boats and outer gates for longer ones. Only Bramwith lock have I seen them in regular use and this is the only one which isn't power operated. Caused me some confusion the first time as approaching from the low side I  could see what looked like an empty lock, with the gates open, when in fact two boats were coming down the short lock section.

Some pictures on the Pennine Wateways site.

Jen

Have been in Bulholme when the keeper (dates it a bit) used it to lock a coal train returning to Ferry bridge in the front bit and us in the back.

12 minutes ago, pearley said:

Have been in Bulholme when the keeper (dates it a bit) used it to lock a coal train returning to Ferry bridge in the front bit and us in the back.

Not only does keeper date it, so does coal train and Ferrybridge! Can't remember if Bulholme still has the second set of gates. They may have gone as, being fed from the Aire, there isn't a need for water conservation

Jen

19 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The Weaver has intermittent gates on some locks but in nowhere near that condition

I think you mean intermediate!

20 hours ago, tree monkey said:

This lock has caused some, errr discussion between myself and the lovely BSP.

It's a water saving thing and not a staircase. 

What is unusual is that this lock is very short and the gates are roughly half way - they can (and do) use either half as all visiting boats are less than 35 feet long

It's also wide beam, although the Ashby (of which it is part) is regarded as a narrow canal these days - when we looked at the costings the costs of building everything to wide beam was not that much greater and the canal was originally proposed to be wide beam (and was built lock free!!!)

All in all a contender for the most curios lock in the country 

5 hours ago, pearley said:

This is me penning down through Bulholme about 18 months ago.  Not 100 percent but don't think it still has the second set of gates.  Read somewhere about this lock being surveyed with a view to increasing its dimensions.

IMG_0031.JPG

On 15/07/2019 at 13:53, magpie patrick said:

I think you mean intermediate!

What is unusual is that this lock is very short and the gates are roughly half way - they can (and do) use either half as all visiting boats are less than 35 feet long

It's also wide beam, although the Ashby (of which it is part) is regarded as a narrow canal these days - when we looked at the costings the costs of building everything to wide beam was not that much greater and the canal was originally proposed to be wide beam (and was built lock free!!!)

All in all a contender for the most curios lock in the country 

My contender would be the turf sided lock on the River Idle at West Stockwith - about 1000 metres long as I recall....  Here's the inner end of it.

dscf5768.jpg

13 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

My contender would be the turf sided lock on the River Idle at West Stockwith - about 1000 metres long as I recall....  Here's the inner end of it.

Made all the more curious by it's gradual evolution - at one time it was just a sluice at the entrance from the Trent (and before that, two pairs of gates at Misterton Soss) 

Okay, the challenge is on for locks that are a bit different, out of the ordinary or downright odd - any more contenders? 

So Far

Moira - (1) on a length of restored canal that didn't originally have locks (2) wide beam on a narrow canal (3) only 70 foot long with intermediate gates half way along (rather than the more usual two pairs of bottom gates)

Stockwith (Idle) (1) 1000 feet long (2) Turf sided and not exactly straight (3) an unintended consequence of water control function.

41 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I always fancied taking a very short boat through Tuel Lane, using the middle and bottom pairs of gates.

I can lay my hands on a Tabur Yak II for you - but having seen what happens when they draw the paddles I'd suggest you go down rather than up!