Liveaboard Trial

Meelius

Featured Posts

Hello. I am looking to try out living aboard a boat (narrow boat or dutch barge) before commiting to buying one.

Does anyone have a boat they would like to rent out?

Or perhaps someone looking to sell who would be prepared to let me rent first for say a period of 3 months?

I'm 100% genuine about wanting to live afloat but just feel I need to test the water first.

Thanks for any advice/offers/leads or help.

Best

M

Hi Meelius and welcome to the forum, It's funny you should ask that, we've had a couple of people ask that same question of late. 

Renting a boat can be fraught with dangers for both you as a reenter and for the people renting you their boat so it's a subject that when discussed on here can often leave the original poster feeling disappointed. However there have also been a few more positive points of late and there are now a couple of genuine hire companies who will consider longer term hires - I'll just have a rummage about and find you the info you need and links to other threads you may find interesting.

Back in a mo....

Rose Narrowboats - https://rose-narrowboats.co.uk

Floating Holidays - https://www.floating-holidays.co.uk

Escape the Rat Race - https://www.etrr.co.uk

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, Meelius said:

Hello. I am looking to try out living aboard a boat (narrow boat or dutch barge) before commiting to buying one.

Does anyone have a boat they would like to rent out?

Or perhaps someone looking to sell who would be prepared to let me rent first for say a period of 3 months?

I'm 100% genuine about wanting to live afloat but just feel I need to test the water first.

Thanks for any advice/offers/leads or help.

Best

M

Firstly, renting a narrowboat legitimately will cost £1k a month or possibly even a lot more. A DB? Who knows!!

Secondly, boats are easy to buy and sell. Might be no more expensive to buy then sell three or foru months later for 10% less than you paid. 

Thirdly, make sure you live aboard November to February, not May to September to get a proper feel for living aboard.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Firstly, renting a narrowboat legitimately will cost £1k a month or possibly even a lot more. A DB? Who knows!!

Secondly, boats are easy to buy and sell. Might be no more expensive to buy then sell three or foru months later for 10% less than you paid. 

Thirdly, make sure you live aboard November to February, not May to September to get a proper feel for living aboard.

Winter can be hard on a boat,  freezing .

Only kidding, as Mike says get a feeling for it during the winter months as it is a true representation of boat life.

Personally I love it during the winter, nothing better than being toasty on the boat when it's below freezing outside, house dwellers just don't get the same feeling.20190203_201435.jpg.deb78aef679fa162987a1410986854be.jpg

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Rickent said:

Winter can be hard on a boat,  freezing .

Only kidding, as Mike says get a feeling for it during the winter months as it is a true representation of boat life.

Personally I love it during the winter, nothing better than being toasty on the boat when it's below freezing outside, house dwellers just don't get the same feeling.20190203_201435.jpg.deb78aef679fa162987a1410986854be.jpg

I hope that temperature is in Centigrade.

5 hours ago, Rickent said:

Yes, that was the temperature inside on February 3rd. Toasty.

Thats where we usualy like ours. when we visit rellies in those weird house things we put a coat on when entering lol.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Thats where we usualy like ours. when we visit rellies in those weird house things we put a coat on when entering lol.

You could never get a house as hot as a boat.

Cold , draughty things.

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

You could never get a house as hot as a boat.

Cold , draughty things.

AND dangerous when we have floods, believe it or not the major design flaw is they are actualy ATTACHED to the ground, so when we have floods the water gets inside and ruins the entire interior instead of floating higher. Bloody ridiculous idea.

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

AND dangerous when we have floods, believe it or not the major design flaw is they are actualy ATTACHED to the ground, so when we have floods the water gets inside and ruins the entire interior instead of floating higher. Bloody ridiculous idea.

And you can't take it anywhere either, whats the point of having one, silly useless things.