Are there any Rules

tearoomtom

Featured Posts

Good etiquette says you don't moor near bridges. If you ever boat a full length boat towing a butty you will realise why it is advisable to leave room but as you say plenty moor as close as they can to a bridge.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Good etiquette says you don't moor near bridges. If you ever boat a full length boat towing a butty you will realise why it is advisable to leave room but as you say plenty moor as close as they can to a bridge.

Not only do plenty moor as close as possible there are a number of permanent moorings which have been granted very close to bridges.

"Restrict clear passage" or "block clear passage"? Unless a queue of boats has appeared, I'd say its the former - which seems to be tolerated, although I'd certainly not want a permanent mooring nearest the bridge, if there were a choice of others.

Common sense would say you leave enough of a gap so that you're unlikely to be hit by those, possibly with bigger boats or less experience (or both).

Bridge holes naturally restrict the view, especially on corners. Use your horn if needs be.

I don't know if it classes as a rule but in "The Boaters Hanbook"  CRT say in their list of 14 places under the heading "Don't Moor" number 3 "Near any bridges" they also say (Number ? "By any blind spots".   I find bridges are often blind spots, so double reason for not mooring there.

Actually, I suspect it's because there often a bit of piling near the bridge and the rest of the towpath is too soft to moor to. Sometimes it's one of those weird people who moor up for two weeks and then move a couple of miles need need car access. 

On 14/07/2019 at 10:53, system 4-50 said:

Etiquette requires that you give a long blast on your horn as you pass the worst cases of mooring in a silly place (provided there are nearby alternatives and no good reason for doing so). :)

I will collect some pictures or video footage including boat name and number.

On 14/07/2019 at 12:37, ditchcrawler said:

Its so they don't have too far to walk to the car

You mean the rusty transit van.  I think every bridge on the K&A has a rusty transit squeezed into the verge, usually blue for some reason. 

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

It's to match the tarpaulins on the boat.  Didn't you know?

Ah, good point.

Among my many Get Rich Quick schemes one was becoming a tarpaulin salesman on the K&A. 

• Haha 3

On 14/07/2019 at 10:33, Mike the Boilerman said:

If you have a widebeam it the the only place you are allowed to moor. Other than bang opposite any other width restriction you can find. 

You'll notice this as you get around more. 

I really must disagree with you Mike, I never Moore near bridges, that makes it to easy for any scrotes to lob thing onto the boat, I also try to Moore away from bends and trees that over hang from the offside, lots of them on the GU, in fact miles of them from Knowle Locks right up to Camp Hill Locks, a lot of them more than half way across the canal, in some places even two narrow boats would have difficulty passing each other without one of them going into the trees and or running aground. 

14 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

I really must disagree with you Mike, I never Moore near bridges, that makes it to easy for any scrotes to lob thing onto the boat, I also try to Moore away from bends and trees that over hang from the offside, lots of them on the GU, in fact miles of them from Knowle Locks right up to Camp Hill Locks, a lot of them more than half way across the canal, in some places even two narrow boats would have difficulty passing each other without one of them going into the trees and or running aground. 

I had my tongue firmly in my cheek when typing that, you do realise???

If only there was a tongue-in-cheek smiley.....

On 14/07/2019 at 10:33, Mike the Boilerman said:

If you have a widebeam it the the only place you are allowed to moor. Other than bang opposite any other width restriction you can find. 

You'll notice this as you get around more. 

I've been about a bit and in fact what I've noticed is that the vast majority of boats moored inconsiderately are narrow boats.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yet lots of your posts seem to use the same sorts of anti-widebeam tongue in cheek rhetoric. The same joke told repeatedly tends to get a bit boring to the point one starts to think it's no longer really meant as a joke.

Edited by blackrose

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nah, the emoticon I want is a Vic and Bob "handbags" one, though I suspect only maybe 10% of the membership would understand it.

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've been about a bit and in fact what I've noticed is that the vast majority of boats moored inconsiderately are narrow boats.

This is perhaps because the vast majority of boats on our canals are narrowboats: in other words a similar proportion of owners moor in difficult places, be their craft wide or narrow.

41 minutes ago, Athy said:

This is perhaps because the vast majority of boats on our canals are narrowboats: in other words a similar proportion of owners moor in difficult places, be their craft wide or narrow.

It is also because a narrow boat moored inconsiderately is less of an obstruction and less memorable than a widebeam moored equally inconsiderately. 

• Greenie 2