River Derwent and the Pocklington Canal

Featured Posts

Having spent a week on the River Derwent and the Pocklington Canal people may be interested in reading this instalment of our blog:

https://ianhelencanals.blogspot.com/2019/07/river-derwent-and-pocklington-canal.html

We would certainly encourage other boaters to visit these relatively remote and unfrequented waterways.  The scenery is excellent and the folk here are friendly and welcoming and keen to encourage more visiting boaters.  The chief reasons that might put people off are having to go out on the tidal Ouse to get there and the amount of weed in the Canal during the summer.  Both of these can be overcome and from our experience we would say that it is well worth the effort.  Since last year a further 2 miles and 2 locks are open to boats and the last push is being made to get the whole canal open for visitors.

16 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Can we get there in a 58' 6" boat? Would love to get up there. Presumably Sutton on Derwent lock is still shut?

We have travelled with a boat that is 58 foot long and we were told of a boat that was 60 feet 6 inches and managed although it had to reverse down the tightest locks.  So I think you wouid probably be OK.  The lock at Barmby Barrage is said to be 62 feet.  I suggest you contact the Canal Society -www.pocklingtoncanalsociety.org and ask their advice before you come.  Alasdair Anderson is the chap we spoke to but I don't have a phone number for him.

And enjoy your visit.

Ian and Helen on Leo

Forgot to say that Sutton Lock is still closed and the river up to Sutton has numerous fallen trees across it, so best not to try to reach Sutton,

Ian

2 hours ago, Ian on Leo said:

We have travelled with a boat that is 58 foot long and we were told of a boat that was 60 feet 6 inches and managed although it had to reverse down the tightest locks.  So I think you wouid probably be OK.  The lock at Barmby Barrage is said to be 62 feet.  I suggest you contact the Canal Society -www.pocklingtoncanalsociety.org and ask their advice before you come.  Alasdair Anderson is the chap we spoke to but I don't have a phone number for him.

And enjoy your visit.

Ian and Helen on Leo

Forgot to say that Sutton Lock is still closed and the river up to Sutton has numerous fallen trees across it, so best not to try to reach Sutton,

Ian

Poclington canal amenity socety  (PCAS) contact numbers are available on the PCAS Web site mentioned in your email. 

As far as Sutton Lock -sometimes called Elvington Lock -itlooks very likely that it will remain closed for the foreseeable future, despite efforts to get a decision to reopen it. This is a great pity and already we are seeing the deterioration of the Derwent because of it.

Howard