Had a noise, now it's gone.

PeterCr

Featured Posts

Moored at Granary Wharf now. Had a bit of a problem coming in though.

In reverse coming in to a landing we hit a bit of wood, or it sounded like wood, with the propeller. Nothing we haven't done before, engine kept running.

A little while later I had cause to speed up and got to 1300 revs and heard a knocking noise. Not loud on deck but quite audible below. Drop below 1300 and no noise. Revving in neutral and no noise. So I suspected something with the propeller or shaft.

There was weed around the propeller but nothing out of the ordinary, nothing solid that would knock on something. Propeller undamaged and I could turn it by hand as normal, no noise or difficulty, nothing to suggest a shaft problem to me, though I'm no expert.

Moored up and tried running it, in gear, moored. Got it up to 1500 revs and no noise either on deck or below.

Anyone got any ideas? Cheers

That is exactly what happened (not hitting the wood bit) when I picked up some in ear headphones. Above a certain speed the buds spun out and knocked on the uxter plate or skeg. maybe a bit of your weed was a bit long and nhad a woody bit at the loose end.

Perhaps the thump from the wood moved the weed hatch plate enough for the bottom part of the plate to vibrate and  knock on the casing.  Removing it and replacing the lid would put all back to normal, so knock gone.

N

My guess is that the wood hung around for a while then, when you stopped, it freed and fell off. Alternatively, opening the weed hatch dislodged it, and off it went.

Whatever the case, all seems well now. You might find a mark or two when you next lift out.

1 hour ago, PeterCr said:

A little while later I had cause to speed up and got to 1300 revs and heard a knocking noise. Not loud on deck but quite audible below. Drop below 1300 and no noise. Revving in neutral and no noise. So I suspected something with the propeller or shaft.

Ok I've had this, and it was one of those confounded pipe fenders non-boat people insist on cruising with down. They come off and lie on the bottom but with three feet of thin rope floating up vertically, like bait fishing to catch the next passing propeller.

Stop the engine and go down the weed hatch for a look and there is nothing obvious on the blade as the pipe fender is hanging downwards from the prop, possibly on a long length of rope. Put it in gear and the pipe fender flails about and keeps whacking the counter. 

Finally found mine by docking the boat. Pipe fender line was neatly tied on to the base of one bat with about 12" of spare length of rope. 

Fkkin things should be banned. 

Thanks all, sounds like I just get on with it. Maybe as Tony suggests it was something that was on the prop that disappeared before I checked down the hatch. I did wonder if motoring in gear in the canal was a little different to motor running in gear when moored up, thinking perhaps a noise might be there when motoring on the canal but not when moored.

I'll find out when we set off again I suppose. Either way it seemed as normal under 1300 revs and as I normally cruise around 1000 it should be fine I assume. Fingers and toes crossed.

I've had this, sounded like a fairly serious mechanical noise, turned out I'd picked up a discarded dog lead around the prop shaft.  The "serious " noise was the metal clip whacking the underside of the weed hatch baffle plate.

Glad no one was around 'cos I actually laughed out loud when I found it.

2 hours ago, NB Esk said:

I've had this, sounded like a fairly serious mechanical noise, turned out I'd picked up a discarded dog lead around the prop shaft.  The "serious " noise was the metal clip whacking the underside of the weed hatch baffle plate.

Had just the same a few weeks back.

3 hours ago, NB Esk said:

I wondered where that went. GIVE IT BACK....

I had the same on the golly last month when i cleared the prop there was 2 seperate lengths of rope, a silk scarf and the clunking thing was a leather belt with one of them daft american buckles on, so you can imagine the noise it made!

Rick

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok I've had this, and it was one of those confounded pipe fenders non-boat people insist on cruising with down. They come off and lie on the bottom but with three feet of thin rope floating up vertically, like bait fishing to catch the next passing propeller.

Stop the engine and go down the weed hatch for a look and there is nothing obvious on the blade as the pipe fender is hanging downwards from the prop, possibly on a long length of rope. Put it in gear and the pipe fender flails about and keeps whacking the counter. 

Finally found mine by docking the boat. Pipe fender line was neatly tied on to the base of one bat with about 12" of spare length of rope. 

Fkkin things should be banned. 

Yes, all those damn non-boat people...

Scheepsmakelaar.jpg

IMG_0001-1010x460.jpg

Sagar_barge_600.jpg

Latest-launches-949x459.jpg

de-hoop-300x300.jpg

58b50ea191ee3af7f5517e6324802776--barges-for-sale-dutch-barge.jpg

Hebbes.jpg