Tiller has come loose

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, our tiller has come loose, it could of banged on back of Cill  , trying to negotiate out of the Bingley five rise.Anyway it has raised up and is free moving, I can lift it up a bit, but can't get it to sit back down in original position, l presume it has come out of its cup, is that probably right ? It had been sticking a bit recently but seemed to right itself, I don't know if it did hit Cill, my partner denies it, but she would... Is it something I can do, lifting it up and down till it fits, or is something more awry, and needs canal and river rescue call out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Does look like it has come out of the bottom cup. Sometimes there is a hole in the rudder which can assist in relocating it; piece of rope or similar. Providing the skeg has not taken a knock it should be possible. Easier if you can get in the water.

It's a bit more serious than that, your top bearing has destroyed itself by the look of the photos, the rudder stock should have slid up inside the rubber, it has ripped it out of the bearing.

You need a docking and new bearing to fix properly.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's a bit more serious than that, your top bearing has destroyed itself by the look of the photos, the rudder stock should have slid up inside the rubber, it has ripped it out of the bearing.

Yes, at first glance it looked like a cup bearing of some sort but zooming in you can see the damage. 

Right, thanks, I have rang rcr , not in a great place to find a boat yard, top bearings do look knackered, I knew I should of done the locks, but usually like to be up top.

Persevere and you should get it back in the cup. Yes the top bearing is history but that can be done later.  Try to moor somewhere where a helper (with a good eye) can direct you i.e. left a bit, etc.  You will manage it eventually.  Maybe you can use a handy moored boat so your helper can get good line of sight.

• Happy 1

7 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Persevere and you should get it back in the cup. Yes the top bearing is history but that can be done later.  Try to moor somewhere where a helper (with a good eye) can direct you i.e. left a bit, etc.  You will manage it eventually.  Maybe you can use a handy moored boat so your helper can get good line of sight.

Thank you, I have waders so could get in, but I don't have anyone up top to help, female partner is useless, so hopefully rcr tomorrow.

The top bearings, can they not be greased up to last, or a c ring pushed in place, is it a job that needs doing immediately, or would it last six months till blacking time. That's if the cup isn't smashed off as well., stupid question really, how long is a piece of string.kicking myself for letting her steer.

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Thank goodness someone has spotted that and mentioned it

11 minutes ago, Timx said:

Thank you, I have waders so could get in, but I don't have anyone up top to help, female partner is useless, so hopefully rcr tomorrow.

The top bearings, can they not be greased up to last, or a c ring pushed in place, is it a job that needs doing immediately, or would it last six months till blacking time. That's if the cup isn't smashed off as well., stupid question really, how long is a piece of string.kicking myself for letting her steer.

The top bearing can be done in the water. you can keep using it if you don't mind it wobbling about 

Hey, it's easily done, part of the joys of boating.  The bearing was probably past it's best but has been destroyed by the rudder shaft being forced upwards.  

Pass a rope through the hole in your rudder, holding the rope in one hand and the tiller, fairly low down, with the other and you'll do it.

Trust me......

• Happy 1

These things are unfortunate and happen from time to time, and this is not uncommon on deeper draught boats. Please do not be too hard on your partner as I am sure she probably feels bad enough already :captain:

Providing the skeg is not damaged then this should be an easy fix, but as stated above might well take a few attempts to relocate. At least you have a photo of the skeg so you can picture in your mind what need doing.

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Be warned - I couldn't get the ruder back in it's cup because of a damaged top bearing. In that case, the square casing had broken, the bearing popped out of the top and wouldn't go back down. I had to dismantle the square casting to get it all to reseat

Either way, your bearing is knackered

Richard

• Happy 1

Thanks for replies, it's reassuring, Rcr mane'  she doesn't think she was to blame anyway.  

I think the bearings were getting shot before hand , occasionally the tiller bar felt like it was catching and wouldn't turn.

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Be warned - I couldn't get the ruder back in it's cup because of a damaged top bearing. In that case, the square casing had broken, the bearing popped out of the top and wouldn't go back down. I had to dismantle the square casting to get it all to reseat

Either way, your bearing is knackered

Richard

Yeah, it's getting worse then, thank you for preparing me , gonna cost me I think.

It's a relatively easy fix which can be done with the boat in the water.

however, the hardest part it often separating the tiller from the rudder shaft taper.

I usually use an hydraulic puller, but not always possible if the backward bend of the swan neck doesn't allow sufficient clearance.

The other option is to apply heat to the collar and a big hammer!

• Happy 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Fizz said:

It's a relatively easy fix which can be done with the boat in the water.

however, the hardest part it often separating the tiller from the rudder shaft taper.

I usually use an hydraulic puller, but not always possible if the backward bend of the swan neck doesn't allow sufficient clearance.

The other option is to apply heat to the collar and a big hammer!

Maybe I got lucky, but mine came off the taper with a lump hammer on one side acting as a dolly, then seriously hitting the other side with another lump hammer. It put up a brave fight  but after a minute or two of hitting and swearing, it succumbed to the hammer and jumped off.

Edit: As per DC's comment, leave the bolt in but loose!

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, catweasel said:

Maybe I got lucky, but mine came off the taper with a lump hammer on one side acting as a dolly, then seriously hitting the other side with another lump hammer. It put up a brave fight  but after a minute or two of hitting and swearing, it succumbed to the hammer and jumped off.

Same here, hell of a bamg, glad the bolt was still in lose

13 minutes ago, Timx said:

How do I source a new bearing ?

Bearing supplier but I buy on ebay. You need to know the diameter of the rudder shaft, it can be either metric or imperial size. There will be allen grub screws in the bearing inner ring onto the shaft.

You can buy just the bearing insert to fit in the 4 bolt casting but its easier to chuck the whole thing.

• Happy 1