Nationwide Gym Contracts

jetzi

Featured Posts

I'm looking to join a gym, but being a CCer I'd ideally like to have 24 hour access to all gyms (of a particular chain) across the nation so that I can use whichever is closest to me at the time.

Does anyone know where I can find information about gym "coverage" in the UK, or have any suggestions for deals or contracts that I should look into?

On 12/07/2019 at 11:16, ivan&alice said:

I'm looking to join a gym, but being a CCer I'd ideally like to have 24 hour access to all gyms (of a particular chain) across the nation so that I can use whichever is closest to me at the time.

Does anyone know where I can find information about gym "coverage" in the UK, or have any suggestions for deals or contracts that I should look into?

Don't know about gym membership but wondr if you will need it if CCing with serious intent? ?

• Greenie 1

puregym has a big network, they dont need any contract and are 24 hr. Costs around £26 for  multiple gym access.

Not sure how many and where but this: https://www.jetts.co.uk has opened near me and I know that it is 24 hour (not sure if it is a key pad or how you open the door 24 hours) and I know that it is franchised quite a lot in the UK. Might be worth looking at the website and making some enquiries. The site seems to indicate 250 gyms (whether that is bullshit and covers all over the world I have no idea) and no lock in contracts.

Roger

The other cheap one to look at is The Gym which is similar to Pure Gym: 24 hour pincode access through a glass cylinder, music for 18 year olds played far too loud for you to be able to hear your own music on your earphones and a smelly shower area. But if it's just fitness you're after it's fine. 

https://www.thegymgroup.com

They've got multiple gym membership for £19.98/month but this limits you to 5 gyms. However, it looks like you can change your chosen gyms at any time. Single gym access is less than £15/month but I'm not sure if you can change your home gym each month. Worth checking that and also the location of the branches to see if it suits your boat movements.

Edited by blackrose

You will save a load of money by doing lots of locking.

I brought a boat from Bugsworth to Huddersfield solo (100+ miles and 100+ locks ) and lost half a stone!

23 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I brought a boat from Bugsworth to Huddersfield solo (100+ miles and 100+ locks ) and lost half a stone!

You must have taken the long route. Its only about 40 miles from Buggy to Huddersfield. No avoiding the locks though. 

1 hour ago, ivan&alice said:

Thanks all. To summarise...

• PureGym
  • TheGym
  • Jetts
  • SportsDirect

I'll compare these, see what's available and report back if I take the plunge!

I have used puregym so I can say its pretty good. You can download an app which tells you how busy the gym is. You get a code to get in. I have seen 'the gym' from outside and judging from the website they seem comparable.

the other two dont seem to be as good.

7 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

You will save a load of money by doing lots of locking.

I brought a widebeam solo from Laleham on the Thames to Bidford on Avon (Warks) via Reading, Bristol, Gloucester and Tewkesbury. I don't know how many miles and locks that was but it was a lot more than 100 of each and I didn't lose any weight because I made sure I ate properly.

If you lost weight on your trip it's simply because you weren't eating enough calories to compensate for the calories you were burning, but that doesn't mean that locking is good exercise. In terms of cardiovascular exercise it's actually pretty poor.

Also we don't know that the OPs want to lose weight. They may want to increase muscle mass, or general fitness.

Edited by blackrose

The vast majority of folk who join gyms start full of vigour and determination. This soon fades as the gym appears to be a 'clique', the music is terrible or too loud, the commute there feels like going to work. The only ones who keep going are the ones who enjoy it. I've joined 5 gyms in my life, the longest I stuck for was a year. Three years ago I bought a kayak, I tow it behind my boat. No travel or traffic to deal with it's just there, get the paddle and I'm off. I still do an hour 5 times a week. I wouldn't enter any 'body beautiful' competitions but an inch or two off my waist, an inch or two more on my upper body, far better results than any gym I've been to. As you get a bit older it's more difficult to get in shape. Exercise needs to be regular, and carry on for a long time, there are no quick fixes.

Something to think about maybe?   

• Love 1

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

You must have taken the long route. Its only about 40 miles from Buggy to Huddersfield. No avoiding the locks though. 

Had to. Marple flight was closed.

Peak Forest,Macclesfield,T&M,Bridgewater,Rochdale,Ashton,and HNC.