boat cushions - make your own?

Wittenham

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

would anyone know if it is practical to make one's own boat cushions [let's assume the right level of skill...].  If so, what is the view on the best source and type of foam?

thanks

With average skills, patience, and domestic sewing machine, I made ours.

Spend an hour or so on youtube, you'll find lots of lessons and tips on how to make covers. 

Our material came from Dunelm, they've loads of material for upholstery, they do foam too. We never bought any foam, we recycled what we had from having an L shaped dining area, which had changed to a pullman. Zips were also recycled. A few months ago the covers were unzipped, washed, and zipped back into position again without a problem.

Mine aren't perfect, and if I did it again, I'd make a few changes. But we saved ourselves a few bob.

image.png.4d9ee6f90fb671ad69d97435a6159ee8.png

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

With average skills, patience, and domestic sewing machine, I made ours.

Spend an hour or so on youtube, you'll find lots of lessons and tips on how to make covers. 

Our material came from Dunelm, they've loads of material for upholstery, they do foam too. We never bought any foam, we recycled what we had from having an L shaped dining area, which had changed to a pullman. Zips were also recycled. A few months ago the covers were unzipped, washed, and zipped back into position again without a problem.

Mine aren't perfect, and if I did it again, I'd make a few changes. But we saved ourselves a few bob.

You've done a great job, Jen, they look very well made. I too am in need of foam and material for the same sort of job but hadn't though to try dunelm for foam. Thanks for that ? ??

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Dunno about Dunelm prices, but I used a local (Manchester) foam warehouse and upholsterer for the basic shape and 'inner envelope' when making our bed expandable. The cost was very reasonable, but we're a long way from "north of everywhere"!

Unless it comes wrapped in tartan or disguised a Nessie almost everything's a long way from here. :D

4 hours ago, Wittenham said:

would anyone know if it is practical to make one's own boat cushions [let's assume the right level of skill...].  If so, what is the view on the best source and type of foam?

thanks

I have recently had foam mattresses made and covered. I bought the fabric from Dunelm Mill and then this was custom made to fit the foam that I bought from Bounce Foam:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjdgd7JrK_jAhXwUxUIHXTvAq8QFjAAegQIBRAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bouncefoam.co.uk%2F&usg=AOvVaw0k04vhXmGBy32kwba0tkji

I found Bounce Foam very easy to deal with, even though the ordering was all done via the internet and involved some odd shapes, and I opted to have a stockinette covering for a few extra pounds :captain: 

• Greenie 1

I used these when I bought new foam for the cushions. 

https://www.thefoamshop.co.uk/contactus/

They took ages to dispatch. Nearly 10 days. 

When I went to put the new foam in it was a bit large for the zipped hole so I wrapped it in some thin polythene cut a hole in the poly stuck the Hoover nozzle in and sucked the air out causing a vacuum. Managed to get the foam in the hole ripped the polythene out. It now is a nice snug fit. 

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I opted to have a stockinette covering for a few extra pounds :captain: 

I was offered this last time I bought some foam. What is the point? The bloke offering it had no idea and nor do I!

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I was offered this last time I bought some foam. What is the point? The bloke offering it had no idea and nor do I!

From Bounce Foam website :captain:

What is Stockinette?

Stockinette is often fitted to foam to help prevent wear to your cushion covers Stockinette will allow you to fit your foam with greater ease

Stockinette is knitted, stretchy cotton mix fabric that provides a barrier between foam and the underside of your fabric to help prevent wear and will considerable ease fitting. Stockinette can be fitted to any length of foam however has a maximum stretched width of 100cm