Stoppage-Braunston Tunnel, advanced notice

matty40s

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Well you got me.... ?

Me? Nearly. But I knew it's going through tomorrow. Otherwise!!!

We befriended a lovely couple who had just commissioned a very fat boat. 12' I think. To me it's a monstrosity. They had a narrow boat which they have now sold through Rugby boats whilst Domenic was still at the helm.

Does it cost to have all this attentive care from CRT? 

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Does it cost to have all this attentive care from CRT? 

You know the answer to this - boats are licensed by length, so widebeams pay the same as any other boat the same length. After all, they don't incur any greater expenditure, do they

Richard

Just now, RLWP said:

You know the answer to this - boats are licensed by length, so widebeams pay the same as any other boat the same length. After all, they don't incur any greater expenditure, do they

Richard

Ah but I reckon they use twice as much water in a lock.... or is it half?

:icecream:

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah but I reckon they use twice as much water in a lock.... or is it half?

:icecream:

Noooo, they save water in locks, by getting stuck in them, and thus preventing anyone else from using them. ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Isn't there a fat boat licence surcharge now ?

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

Braunston Tunnel

Detail

From Date: 12/07/2019 08:00

To Date: Further Notice

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Tunnel Not Wide Enough

Is the towpath closed? There is no towpath Skywalker.

Closest waterway: Grand Union

Starts at: Norton Junction

Ends at: Braunston Marina entrance

DESCRIPTION

Due to a failed passage of Braunston Tunnel, where a widebeam boat has become well and truly wedged in the bendy bit 400 metres from the Eastern portal the navigation is currently unavailable.

We are sending teams on site to remove the surrounding hillside, this creating a new cutting,  at the same time we will be widening the canal to remove this obstruction and will be issuing a formal apology in the press for the mistakes made in the 1790's which have led to this unfortunate occurrence.

We anticipate that the A361 Daventry-Kilsby road will be shut for 2 years and the canal for a bit longer.

NOT to be taken seriously!!

You are a very bad man. However i got going early today and made sure i am buckby side of braunston because you cant pass 2  full length narrowboats through braunston tunnel bends.

Saw it at midland chandlers

prince charles would give it a good description I think.

12 hours ago, Loddon said:

Isn't there a fat boat licence surcharge now ?

And will it be enough to pay for the modifications to the bridge on the northern GU, additional dreding to widen the channel, vegetation cutting back etc needed to accommodate these boats on waterways not designed for them?

Hahaha very good!

A few years ago we followed a full sized widebeam from Braunston up the north Oxford to the first marina (Barby I think?). Took them about 10 minutes to negotiate each bridge but the comments and jokes from boats coming past us in the opposite direction were priceless!

Edited by Dave123

On 11/07/2019 at 21:21, GRLMK38 said:

Not until next year.  I'm not sure if it is calculated on the beam at the waterline or the overall width though?

CRT are introducing a series of ever narrowing bridges onto the GU.  The idea is that you start by trying to go through the widest, then the next narrower one, (and so on).

The licence fee is on a sliding scale - the more bridges you can get through the less you pay, (although you are not allowed to remove coping stones to get yourself onto a lower cost licence!).

• Haha 2

I am thinking of saving a few quid at renewal time by declaring the length according to the waterline.  Once you take the bow shape in to account we must be 2 feet shorter.  If I take some ballast out of the rear the uxter plate would be clear of the water, that's another 3 feet.  Which actually makes me 57' so I now fit in to the "go anywhere" category, which clearly isn't the case.  The whole thing is a joke! (and I am a supporter of CRT).