Consultation on exhaust emissions on inland waterways

GUMPY

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

And there lies the truth. Inland waterways boats are a miniscule part of pollution. governments are actively encouraging air travel which is set to double in less than twenty years. this is the usual cows droppings PC rubbish we get theses days. We are light years away from having electric vehicles of any sort that can replace ice. Apart from the fact that solar produces diddly squat in winter, even in summer continuous days cruising is still pie in the sky without the internal combustion engine replacing the lectricity. 

Peter old bean. I will put money you cannot cruise 8 hour days in the winter without some sort of charging regime. Solar is shite in January.

And yet Tim they are having a consultation to get rid of them on inland waterways, what you dont like Tim is I have been banging on about this for years and it happening, I agree that lots of other thing cause pollution and I am sure they are earmarked for sorting out, Like I said in Rotherham and Sheffield consultations are on to clean up the air and its aimed at cars, diesels in particular so this shouldnt surprise us and all you can do is do the consultation to object, but I suspect you will be pissing into the wind

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

And there lies the truth. Inland waterways boats are a miniscule part of pollution. governments are actively encouraging air travel which is set to double in less than twenty years. this is the usual cows droppings PC rubbish we get theses days. We are light years away from having electric vehicles of any sort that can replace ice. Apart from the fact that solar produces diddly squat in winter, even in summer continuous days cruising is still pie in the sky without the internal combustion engine replacing the lectricity. 

Peter old bean. I will put money you cannot cruise 8 hour days in the winter without some sort of charging regime. Solar is shite in January.

Tim I dont want to cruise for 8 hours in the winter and you dont go out in the winter anymore do you?

32 minutes ago, matty40s said:

the whole major motorway network expanded to a 4 lane processionway whilst reducing police numbers to stop dangerous driving and speeding.

Small point of order.

I don’t know when you last drove on a motorway but much of the motorway network these days has pretty regular 70mph speed cameras. My observation is that it appears to have drastically reduced the number of speeding cars. That’s purely anecdotal, I have no figures to back up that assertion. 

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Small point of order.

I don’t know when you last drove on a motorway but much of the motorway network these days has pretty regular 70mph speed cameras. My observation is that it appears to have drastically reduced the number of speeding cars. That’s purely anecdotal, I have no figures to back up that assertion. 

On the M1 through Sheffield/Rotherham the overhead gantries are normally at 50mph due to pollution, apparently we have have pollution sensors that activate them!

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Small point of order.

Except the cameras are not switched on unless the variable limits are active. It was fake news that they are now on all the time, set at 70. 

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/revealed-the-truth-about-new-smart-motorway-speed-cameras/

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-6578427/Are-smart-motorway-speed-cameras-operating-times-70mph.html

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

What you need is more solar...

73BF1A6A-22DB-4DBE-B9A2-91E8C468FA7B.jpeg.b0d28a5f2ee78155bf23023af54ca3e1.jpeg

I have seen that boat! and I suspect that I have more than that on the roof at 3680 watts!

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

I am not sure about that I was doing 70 when an Audi passed me going shall we say quicker than me and lightning flashed for him

20 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Small point of order.

I drive on motorways all the time, both "smart but not" and normal ones. I generally drive at a speed safe for the conditions and volume of traffic.

Sunday mornings I just drive.

There are NO 70mph cameras.

There are average speed cameras in roadworks which tend to limit the vehicles to 50 or 55mph for those who know and truckers who all know, unless restricted by folks in all three lanes doing 46 mph (common).

There are cameras on SMART motorways which have variable speed limits - these obviously try to limit the majority of vehicles to these limits....you can do up to 80mph unless in Kent where they are VERY strict.

If the signed speed isn't within a RED circle, it isn't legally enforceable. .... this is not from me, but from a friend attending a speeding awareness course this week for doing 32 in a 30 limit on an uphill road from traffic lights approaching countryside past an industrial area. money generation, nah......

Edited by matty40s

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If the signed speed isn't within a RED circle, it isn't legally enforcable. ....

Except the national speed limit sign, black on white which IS enforcable.

If the smart gantry isnt carrying a speed limit though ...

12 minutes ago, MHS said:

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I drive on motorways all the time, both "smart but not" and normal ones. I generally drive at a speed safe for the conditions and volume of traffic.

Sunday mornings I just drive.

There are NO 70mph cameras.

There are average speed cameras in roadworks which tend to limit the vehicles to 50 or 55mph for those who know and truckers who all know, unless restricted by folks in all three lanes doing 46 mph (common).

There are cameras on SMART motorways which have variable speed limits - these obviously try to limit the majority of vehicles to these limits....you can do up to 80mph unless in Kent where they are VERY strict.

If the signed speed isn't within a RED circle, it isn't legally enforcable. ....

But those aren’t the cameras I’m referring to. Drive up the M1 and between J21 and J30 you’ll see a number of ‘Speed Camera’ signs. You’ll also see a number of pairs of yellow speed cameras off to the left of the hard shoulder. These aren’t smart cameras, these are 70mph cameras. They were first introduced on the M25 but were painted grey instead of yellow - try telling the thousands of motorists that got caught that they don’t work. 

As an aside, over 2,000,000 speeding fines were issued in 2018. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

But those aren’t the cameras I’m referring to. Drive up the M1 and between J21 and J30 you’ll see a number of ‘Speed Camera’ signs. You’ll also see a number of pairs of yellow speed cameras off to the left of the hard shoulder. These aren’t smart cameras, these are 70mph cameras. They were first introduced on the M25 but were painted grey instead of yellow - try telling the thousands of motorists that got caught that they don’t work. 

As an aside, over 2,000,000 speeding fines were issued in 2018. 

Tony you are correct but the M1 in some of those those areas are smart cameras as its a smart motorway allegedly ?

Tony, I know exactly where these cameras are and slow to 75 ish unless I can see a HGV in the inside lane at a convenient moment.?

They are NOT smart, not controlling traffic, AND NOT REPLACING TRAFFIC COPS WHO SHOULD BE OUT THERE POLICING THE MOTORWAYS ....which they are in every other country in the world.

There are 4 of your cameras between 16 and just after 18,  none after, there are more after 24, all the way up to junc 30, but if you know where they are and dont drive by satnav, they are easily spotted.

The system is devised for people who follow the system, and drive by satnav.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

this is not from me, but from a friend attending a speeding awareness course this week for doing 32 in a 30 limit on an uphill road from traffic lights approaching countryside past an industrial area. money generation, nah....

I also have a friend who went to a speed awareness course recently. I was told they allow you 10% plus 2 mph. So to get a fine in a 30 zone, you have to be doing at least 35mph. Just what I was told ...

6 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have seen that boat! and I suspect that I have more than that on the roof at 3680 watts!

I am not sure about that I was doing 70 when an Audi passed me going shall we say quicker than me and lightning flashed for him

I set my car on cruise at 76mph on a quiet motorway, 64 mph up Stocksbridge bypass average cameras and 54mph through variable 50mph limits. I do know that my Speedo reads slightly fast, but you are currently not going to get snapped at those speeds. 

I regularly drive the M1 between Leeds  and Lutterworth. I have seen an odd car like your Audi flashed but reckon that if the cameras were switched on, they are probably set around 85-90mph. 

9 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

Should be a straightforward engineering job to run a buried cable along towpaths with charge points spaced out, if it was run in a concrete pipe mooring pins wouldn't pose a problem. 

There are power cables under the towpath on the Regents Canal already, voltage is a bit high for charging ;)

Edited by Loddon

10 hours ago, frangar said:

Well if anyone thinks they are taking either my vintage boat engine or my 40 year old Land Rover off me they can jog on...it’s about time we stood up to this political bullshit. How about banning all air travel first? 

You're talking about two different issues really. Low level air pollution including particulate matter and oxides of nitrogen from diesel engines, and carbon emissions from aircraft affecting climate change (although aircraft do affect low level air pollution in the vicinity of airports and take off/landing flight paths of course).

I don't think anyone's going to physically take your vintage engine or land rover away from you. They'll just tax you an increased amount compared to cleaner alternatives and then it's your choice. That's usually how it works.

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You're talking about two different issues really. Low level air pollution including particulate matter and oxides of nitrogen from diesel engines, and carbon emissions from aircraft affecting climate change (although aircraft do affect low level air pollution in the vicinity of airports and take off/landing flight paths of course).

I don't think anyone's going to physically take your vintage engine or land rover away from you. They'll just tax you an increased amount compared to cleaner alternatives and then it's your choice. That's usually how it works.

Higher tax is just another way of removing them. 

Im sorry but aircraft produce far more pollution than other forms of transportation.....why not ban that?

I’ll tell you why because no politician would have the balls to do so...they know they would be out in a trice. Much easier to pick an easy target and make themselves look good. Oh and how long before it’s decided that maybe making electricity isn’t as green as first thought so it better be taxed heavily??

Maybe we should also look at limiting population too...that would help greatly. 

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

Higher tax is just another way of removing them. 

Im sorry but aircraft produce far more pollution than other forms of transportation.....why not ban that?

I’ll tell you why because no politician would have the balls to do so...they know they would be out in a trice. Much easier to pick an easy target and make themselves look good. Oh and how long before it’s decided that maybe making electricity isn’t as green as first thought so it better be taxed heavily??

Maybe we should also look at limiting population too...that would help greatly. 

Yes but when you say "more pollution" you're talking about a different type of pollution. Aircraft don't produce more low level air pollution than other forms of transportation. I agree that air transport pollution isn't being tackled because there isn't the political will, but it's a different issue. It's not either/or. Both forms of pollution will need to be tackled.

And I agree about population control as well. That's the main issue driving all of this, but unfortunately most voters would put the right to have children ahead of your right not to be taxed up the arse for your vintage diesel engine!

Edited by blackrose

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

The system is devised for people who follow the system, and drive by satnav.

Well, that depends. I use Waze and it alerts me to each one :)

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Canal321 said:

I also have a friend who went to a speed awareness course recently. I was told they allow you 10% plus 2 mph. So to get a fine in a 30 zone, you have to be doing at least 35mph. Just what I was told ...

That’s a CPO guidance that the force covering any particular area can follow or ignore. My missus got done for 32 in a 30 limit, so we can assume that in that area at least they allow no tolerance. It cost her a boring afternoon and eighty quid, but no points.