Consultation on exhaust emissions on inland waterways

GUMPY

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Please can you put it on in a format that non Facebook members can view?

I’ll have to dig the laptop out tomorrow and have a go....I did try to rip it on my phone but Facebook was having none of it! 

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Me too.

Takes 8 hours to charge it with a 'flipping big diesel generator' and 2 hours use to flatten the battery.

"Green - My arse !!!!"

It's called progress ;)

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Me too.

Takes 8 hours to charge it with a 'flipping big diesel generator' and 2 hours use to flatten the battery.

"Green - My arse !!!!"

No doubt Peterboat  will be along in a bit to say it just needs a solar panel on the cab and you only need to dig for 2 hours anyhow...

• Greenie 2

Has anyone got any evidence that these government "consultations" ever result in any modification of the original intention?

I suspect strongly that some anonymous civil servant has decided what government policy is going to be, a "consultation" has been floated. the result will be completely disregarded, and some politician will be presented with a bit of new legislation that has been thoroughly consulted upon and is now ready for implementation.

Get your historic boat now, before it's too late; or start saving up for batteries and electric motors.?

1 hour ago, DRP said:

Has anyone got any evidence that these government "consultations" ever result in any modification of the original intention?

I suspect strongly that some anonymous civil servant has decided what government policy is going to be, a "consultation" has been floated. the result will be completely disregarded, and some politician will be presented with a bit of new legislation that has been thoroughly consulted upon and is now ready for implementation.

Get your historic boat now, before it's too late; or start saving up for batteries and electric motors.?

I think you're right. Having consultations gives an air of democracy but it's just that, air.

19 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

At least you have room for the battery storage ... :D

And if you get a butty as well you would have enough room to store sufficient batteries to moor for up to 48 hours ?

Has the consultation been cancelled? No so it must still be going ahead then which only goes to show that you lot saying it won't and can't happen doesn't make one haperth of difference does it?

Have any of you replied to it yet? Probably not so again you won't make a difference?

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Has the consultation been cancelled? No so it must still be going ahead then which only goes to show that you lot saying it won't and can't happen doesn't make one haperth of difference does it?

Have any of you replied to it yet? Probably not so again you won't make a difference?

Don’t judge....and if you think you might be a one man revolution you can think again.....

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Don’t judge....and if you think you might be a one man revolution you can think again.....

I think it's already happening diesel 1.50 swuids a litre boat builders already building electric boat's and inner cities and towns planning to charge cars ....,.....

It's interesting to see the backlash on here, considering by 2050 I expect most of the current boaters will be (a) dead or (b) too old to be boating for 8 hours a day.  The current crop of youth are much more switched on and accepting of new ideas and the angst of those who love the sound of a diesel engine will fade into history.

Technology advances move in one direction.  If it didn't we'd still be writing on stone tablets instead of Canalworld.net.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Old Son said:

And you cant cruise your boat in the winter. What will be will be. When everything is electric the government will start raising taxes and wipe that smug grin off your face...…...

I ain't a dinosaur and I can cruise ad much as I want to. My solar provides me with my power so is the sun going to be taxed? Or is it I won't see the sun because of all the pollution? Anyway this consultation is happening and its up to you to try and justify why the status quo should remain good luck with that

• Greenie 1

On 13/07/2019 at 10:43, peterboat said:

Mike I havent bought diesel for over a year, and when I did it was bio diesel, I have added kero to the tank, but havent run the whispergen other than for a test run when I installed it at the beginning of the year. The 3.7KW of solar can be all switched to domestic use so even in the winter I get enough power from the sun, I am trying to clean up my lifestyle before the big sticks are brought out to force us

Where can you get bio diesel on the cut?   If you are using kerosene in your whispergen the engine is not going to last very long, unless you're adding oil to it.  I have it on good authority from a lab guy at Esso Fawley that Kerosene has a much higher sulpur content that ULS diesel. So you're not so green after all.

10 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Where can you get bio diesel on the cut?   If you are using kerosene in your whispergen the engine is not going to last very long, unless you're adding oil to it.  I have it on good authority from a lab guy at Esso Fawley that Kerosene has a much higher sulpur content that ULS diesel. So you're not so green after all.

It's a Stirling engine which doesn't work like a diesel, its NOX emissions are very low and it's been run once in 7 months, I doubt very much that it's high sulphur as it's 28 second heating oil, look to your emissions not mine I do as much as possible to be emissions free

56 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I ain't a dinosaur and I can cruise ad much as I want to. My solar provides me with my power so is the sun going to be taxed? Or is it I won't see the sun because of all the pollution? Anyway this consultation is happening and its up to you to try and justify why the status quo should remain good luck with that

So how long per day can you cruise in late autumn/winter?? And how many days continually without finding a hook up or generator?? 

16 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It's a Stirling engine which doesn't work like a diesel, its NOX emissions are very low and it's been run once in 7 months, I doubt very much that it's high sulphur as it's 28 second heating oil, look to your emissions not mine I do as much as possible to be emissions free

28 second heating oil is Kerosene & has a much higher sulphur content than ULS diesel.  Are you saying that an Esso lab guy is wrong ?

1 hour ago, frangar said:

So how long per day can you cruise in late autumn/winter?? And how many days continually without finding a hook up or generator?? 

As long as I want to is the answer, I get bored to tears after a few hours, I don't have hook up and have run the whispergen once in 7 months and that was to test it! 

I am out at the moment on the Trent in a mates boat, its noisy and 8 hours yesterday was six hours to much for me!!!!

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

28 second heating oil is Kerosene & has a much higher sulphur content than ULS diesel.  Are you saying that an Esso lab guy is wrong ?

But you arnt buying uls diesel are you? You are buying whatever is available

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

As long as I want to is the answer, I get bored to tears after a few hours, I don't have hook up and have run the whispergen once in 7 months and that was to test it! 

I am out at the moment on the Trent in a mates boat, its noisy and 8 hours yesterday was six hours to much for me!!!!

So totally impractical for any sort of meaningful travel then....although I’m guessing continuous moorers will love it...”can’t move more than a hour cos me battery is dead....but I’m really environmentally sound honest guv”.......

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

But you arnt buying uls diesel are you? You are buying whatever is available.

Yes I am, all diesel is now ULS including red. You still haven't answered where you get bio diesel on the cut.

Edited by Flyboy

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

Just looked at the crown oils website and heating oil is ULS so looks like your mate is behind the times as the rules for it were changed in 2016 

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

Yes I am, all diesel is now ULS including red. You still haven't answered where you get bio diesel on the cut.

Rotherham bio fuels has been open for years and is where I have bought my fuel from

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

So totally impractical for any sort of meaningful travel then....although I’m guessing continuous moorers will love it...”can’t move more than a hour cos me battery is dead....but I’m really environmentally sound honest guv”.......

Don't worry I am sure you will be able to use horses again?

• Greenie 1