Consultation on exhaust emissions on inland waterways

GUMPY

Featured Posts

45 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Imagine the price of fish if all the trawlers were converted? Not that that would be considered. It seems OK to exclude swathes of the population from growing numbers of activities by pricing them out. Next, following exclusion, the same politicians who instigated the exclusions, who often state 'inclusion' as their driving force become very angry about the situation they themselves have created.

You couldn't make it up. 

How many politicians have you heard of that run electric cars?  How many car maker bosses run electric cars?  The answer is none I reckon.

• Greenie 1

The biggest single problem facing mass electrification is the generation and charging infrastructure - ONE boat will work, probably 100 will, without much improvement, but the scale to ensure that 35000 boats can get enough charge when they need it is daunting to say the least. IIRC correctly only one quarter of the UK's energy consumption is electricity

Boaters aren't going to be first in the queue for supply when demand ramps up, - that'll be road vehicles and industrial processes. Also ISTR we are a net importer of electricity, and as our demand surges and we lack the means of supply, two things will happen - suppliers will see a profit opportunity and the import of electricity will become more expensive and more problematic as our continental neighbours also go to zero emissions 

And whilst we see much on strategies to stop us using fossil fuels I see much less on strategies to generate potloads of leccy to replace them - and wait til the campaigns against new generating facilities starts. 

I can see a business opportunity in a horse breeding programme and stables at popular spots if leisure boating is to survive...

57 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Oh right - cos the post before mentioned a festival and to be honest festival is not the optimum environment for running turbines.  

That will have been me mentioning festivals...the majority of the power at them comes from diesel generators...and we tried bio fuel...it was shite! Clogged filters continually....caused no end of problems..,,however the hippies love a wind turbine so one promoter decided it would look good...totally fake unit but hey it looked cool and the green lobby   happy....another well known “eco” rock group did a tour that was powered by a massive bank (think many containers) of batteries with solar panels mounted on them...they just about lasted a gig then when the public had left the generators were switched on to recharge them for the next date...when they shipped them internationally they were charged using the ships diesel generators...like a fridge container.....

49 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Could you provide a link to that please, cos it sounds interesting but I can't find anything on their website, I must be looking in the wrong place. 

Operations and maintenance phase

In the post-commissioning phase, low-voltage power can also be supplied at the base of each turbine to power ancillary equipment, such as lighting and the hydraulic pumps to turn the rotor (to prevent bearing lock up). Alternatively, a central high voltage package can power the integrated system from one point of connection, keeping transformers and switchgear running, in addition to the turbines.

Maintenance typically uses temporary power from standard generators, while transformers are also made available for the higher voltages, such as 690V (the industry standard for many years). In fact, transformers have been supplied for multiple uses. To connect the circuits in the field, 480 V/34.5 transformers in the 2,500 to 5,000 kVa range are provided. To keep the system operational, power has been supplied to the field when the main transformer has failed or the utility has to take the distribution system out of service.

https://www.windpowerengineering.com/projects/offshore-wind/reliable-standby-generation-essential-offshore-wind-farms/

Most offshore wind turbines are installed with an on-board diesel generator to provide auxiliary power 
One of the basic needs of a wind turbine is the provision of auxiliary power, especially before it is connected to the onshore electricity grid. Power is required for cranes mounted on foundations. Once the wind turbine is installed, further power is needed to provide lighting, heating, clean air systems and to turn over sensitive equipment. Typically, this power is provided by small diesel generators; the London Array, the world's largest offshore wind farm, had a diesel generator located on each of its 175 turbines. If the connection to the onshore electricity grid is delayed then the diesels may need to provide continuous power for many months.

http://www.tridentenergy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/White-Paper-The-Market-Opportunity-for-Offshore-Auxiliary-Power.pdf

On behalf of EnBW we delivered a temporary power supply solution at the Baltic 2 offshore wind farm that included state of the art TODO refuelling equipment.

The system, used in Formula One racing as it withstands high pressure and allows for faster refuelling, is a completely safe, drip-proof fuel transfer system and includes an automatic shut-down valve.

With her superior payload capability and exceptional comfort in transit, high bollard pull and 24,000l fuel transfer capability, CWind Sword has proven exceedingly useful. She is also extremely competitive with vessels much larger in size and maintains speed and smooth motion in rough seas. Additionally, there’s no drop in performance even when carrying large bunker loads, and the spacious foredeck gives twice the deck capacity of our smaller vessels.

https://cwind.global/vessels/cwind-sword/

2 hours ago, frangar said:

That will have been me mentioning festivals...the majority of the power at them comes from diesel generators...and we tried bio fuel...it was shite! Clogged filters continually....caused no end of problems..,,however the hippies love a wind turbine so one promoter decided it would look good...totally fake unit but hey it looked cool and the green lobby   happy....another well known “eco” rock group did a tour that was powered by a massive bank (think many containers) of batteries with solar panels mounted on them...they just about lasted a gig then when the public had left the generators were switched on to recharge them for the next date...when they shipped them internationally they were charged using the ships diesel generators...like a fridge container.....

Yes and there in lies the problem, people don't realise that turbines do not* cope particularly well in domestic or lower level settings so a turbine at a festival is never going to work as well as it could. At places like festivals and shows they can only ever be a gimmick or for promotion. I think that's why the little marine ones don't work so well on narrowboats. 

*typo corrected by Magpie Patrick

iu.jpeg

Edited by magpie patrick

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

Yes and there in lies the problem, people don't realise that turbines do not cope particularly well in domestic or lower level settings so a turbine at a festival is never going to work as well as it could. At places like festivals and shows they can only ever be a gimmick or for promotion. I think that's why the little marine ones don't work so well on narrowboats. 

I made a typo in my last post #181 but it was out of the allotted time for making edits. 

On 11/07/2019 at 23:12, MHS said:

Nope, I got done by one on the M4, gantry wasn't lit up. Was 1am and I was making good progress!

34 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Nope, I got done by one on the M4, gantry wasn't lit up. Was 1am and I was making good progress!

The ones round Bristol (M4, M5) are live above 70mph, not sure of trigger speed but I do slow down for them.

AFAIK the M1, M25 ones are still not live when boards are off.

Edited by Loddon

35 minutes ago, sirweste said:

But they’re not set at 70. Likely 85-90 I reckon, otherwise the roads would be empty of reps and middle management driven cars!!

18 hours ago, DandV said:

Next stage will be new diesel engines have to be Euro, or is Britto 7? emission standard or better for boats.

Given the problem that the latest Euro spec diesels have when they're being run under load on the roads suggest that they will simply die when put on a canal boat because they never get hot enough - although sea going boats might possibly get them hot enough.

Passive regeneration 

Passive regeneration occurs when the car is running at speed on long motorway journeys which allows the exhaust temperature to increase to a higher level and cleanly burn off the excess soot in the filter.

So it is advised that drivers regularly give their diesel vehicle a good 30 to 50 minute run at sustained speed on a motorway or A-road to help clear the filter.

However, not all drivers do this type of driving regularly – which is why manufacturers have designed an alternative form of regeneration.

Active regeneration 

Active regeneration means extra fuel is injected automatically, as part of the vehicle's ECU, when a filter reaches a predetermined limit (normally about 45%) to raise the temperature of the exhaust and burn off the stored soot.

Problems can occur, however, if the journey is too short, as the regeneration process may not complete fully.

If this is the case the warning light will continue to show the filter is still partially blocked. 

In which case it should be possible to complete a regeneration cycle and clear the warning light by driving for 10 minutes or so at speeds greater than 40mph.

You will know whether active regeneration is taking place by the following symptoms:

• Engine note change
  • Cooling fans running
  • A slight increase in fuel consumption
  • Increased idle speed
  • Deactivation of automatic Stop/Start
  • A hot, acrid smell from the exhaust

Expensive repairs

If warnings are still ignored and soot loading continues to increase then the most likely outcome will be a new DPF costing around £1,000.

Edited by StephenA

22 hours ago, peterboat said:

No I am not, I knew this was coming, its been as plain as the nose on my face! Everything says that diesel is bad, diesel car sales are dropping daily, electric car sales are going up daily, boat makers are producing electric and Hybrid boats, stamping our feet and holding our breath wont help, come up with a sensible reply to the consultation and send it in

I thought I read a few days ago that electric car sales have dropped i the last year.

Sales of cars with alternative fuels – including battery electric vehicles and hybrids – were down 11.8% in June compared with the same month last year, the first annual decline since April 2017, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT).

Electrified vehicles accounted for about one in every 17 cars sold in June. Their share of the market needs to increase rapidly for the UK to meet its target of net zero carbon dioxide emissions by 2050.

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

Interesting video about a “zero emission” JCB mini digger....the language is a bit rich at times mind you! 

Please can you put it on in a format that non Facebook members can view?