Hacking attempts solved.

Featured Posts

Having suffered several attempts at hacking my account I have I think worked out how it was done.

It would appear that someone, possibly another forum user, was trying to guess my password for the forum.

If 3 or more incorrect attempts are made the forum software or its hosting company automatically sends out an email warning of the attempts and advises that the password should be changed. It also says that if the attempt continue the account could be locked. This has never happened however.

Whoever it was must have used a proxy server as the locations of the attempts kept changing.   London, Canada, various other towns in the UK and even Malaysia featured amongst others.

After I posted that it was possibly another user it seems to have ceased, perhaps they have found a more interesting way of exercising their knuckles, thankfully.

Though nothing bad ever happened, it was very unnerving having these email messages pop up many times a day. I really hope that this is the end of the foolishness. 

Sam.

I recently did this to someone by mistake.  I use the same user name on many forums but there was one my user name was taken so I had to use something else. 

Went back after a couple of months and forgot I used a different user name. Tried repeatedly to log in, did the recover password thing which never came to my email. Finally figured out that it wasn't my account! So I am sure that fellow thought I was trying to hack his account. 

I was putting it down to an error by someone for a while but it happened so often and only when I was on line to the forum that it cannot be anything other than a concerted effort.

I doesn't happen on any of my other forums accounts.

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Having suffered several attempts at hacking my account I have I think worked out how it was done.

It would appear that someone, possibly another forum user, was trying to guess my password for the forum.

If 3 or more incorrect attempts are made the forum software or its hosting company automatically sends out an email warning of the attempts and advises that the password should be changed. It also says that if the attempt continue the account could be locked. This has never happened however.

Whoever it was must have used a proxy server as the locations of the attempts kept changing.   London, Canada, various other towns in the UK and even Malaysia featured amongst others.

After I posted that it was possibly another user it seems to have ceased, perhaps they have found a more interesting way of exercising their knuckles, thankfully.

Though nothing bad ever happened, it was very unnerving having these email messages pop up many times a day. I really hope that this is the end of the foolishness. 

Sam.

Yes indeed, this is how the forum system works.

I could make it so that the forum system does not send out the email notifications or alerts as you say though this will not stop anyone trying to login as you using incorrect details. - It just means you'd never get to know about it. 

Unless anyone does gain access to your account (you'd also be notified by email in this case) then I wouldn't worry about it. - The best thing you can do is to ensure you have a strong password that is not easy to guess and isn't used elsewhere. + Providing your email account (i.e. the one associated/linked to your Canal World account) & computer are not compromised, it's extremely unlikely anyone would actually gain access to your forum account. 

9 minutes ago, RichM said:

I could make it so that the forum system does not send out the email notifications or alerts as you say though this will not stop anyone trying to login as you using incorrect details. - It just means you'd never get to know about it. 

Unless anyone does gain access to your account (you'd also be notified by email in this case) then I wouldn't worry about it. - The best thing you can do is to ensure you have a strong password that is not easy to guess and isn't used elsewhere. + Providing your email account (i.e. the one associated/linked to your Canal World account) & computer are not compromised, it's extremely unlikely anyone would actually gain access to your forum account. 

Thank you, that was the most helpful reply.

Sam.

13 hours ago, RichM said:

Which is exactly what was said the last time we had this pity party. :rolleyes:

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

Which is exactly what was said the last time we had this pity party. :rolleyes:

What a sour comment. Not a "pity party" at all just passing on what I experienced in case someone else has the same happen to them.

That was not worthy of you Tumshie, what happened to the occasional hug for me?

I used to look forward to them.

I trust it was not you messing with my passwords or am I wrong??

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

I trust it was not you messing with my passwords or am I wrong??

No part of me cares enough to waste my time bothering. Though I suspect that when DoS started as is was only on your account and as you said it was only when you were active that it was some who didn't find your humour funny and as we've established that wasn't necessarily me. I also suspect that being locked out of your account is what triggered you using the the "hider" account. Though I can't say that I care why just that you do and have made up this elaborate back story. 

5 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

That was not worthy of you Tumshie, what happened to the occasional hug for me?

I used to look forward to them.

You got hugs because though you were grumpy you were assumed to be honest - you are no longer assumed to be honest. It's not me that's not worthy my friend. 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

No part of me cares enough to waste my time bothering. Though I suspect that when DoS started as is was only on your account and as you said it was only when you were active that it was some who didn't find your humour funny and as we've established that wasn't necessarily me. I also suspect that being locked out of your account is what triggered you using the the "hider" account. Though I can't say that I care why just that you do and have made up this elaborate back story. 

You got hugs because though you were grumpy you were assumed to be honest - you are no longer assumed to be honest. It's not me that's not worthy my friend. 

Utter balderdash, can't be bothered to set you straight, you know less than you think. Sadly i will ignore you, bye.

Sam

Just now, Boater Sam said:

Utter balderdash, can't be bothered to set you straight, you know less than you think. Sadly i will ignore you, bye.

Sam

There is nothing you can say now that I would believe so I'm afraid there is no changing my mind on this one. By all means put me on ignore I have nothing to say to you. 

• Greenie 3

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Translation:

"I can't be bothered because deep down I know you're right, but I won't even admit it to myself. So I'll carry on sticking to the line that my rudeness is humour and hider is my son.

Ooooh you are a bad man ?

But you are sooo right.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2