Plumber/Carpenter in London wanted

Featured Posts

Looking for a plumber/carpenter willing to come up to Harefield fix a suspected shower tray or sink leak in my bathroom and replace the floorboards and flooring.

The floorboards (underneath tiling) have rotted and sank in there from previous owner’s leak, haven’t been replaced and I think they’ve now collapsed onto the shower or sink piping and water is slowly leaking into cabin bilge. Can hear some water down there which will need pumping out too (no inspection hatch). Don’t think there’s a working bilge pump.

Its a very small bathroom! Ideally this weekend. Anyone know of anyone or want the job or can offer tips of what to do in the interim?!

Many thanks 

Um! This will usually be done by the boat owner.

When making the decision about buying a boat, the owners practical skills should also be taken into account!

Carpentry work, Mechanics, Engine services, Electrics, Boatmansship, Map reading are some of the skills one will need in the ownership of a boat. To attempt to own a boat without at least a small knowledge of any of theese skills is, to my mind,shear folly.

I would say the chances of getting hold of a Carpenter/ Plumber, whatever he is, are nearly imposible within the inner bounderies of the M25.

You may get someone who says he or she can do it, but i doubt if he will be a qualified Carpenter or Plumber.

In any event be prepared with a very full wallet should you find one!

My suggestion is to get hold of some tool and some time and do it yourself, that way you will learn a bit at the same time!

Sorry to be so negative but thats the way it is!

Nipper

With rotten and collapsing floors etc, this could be much bigger job than a one day job, plus will need near by safe parking for the workers van.  If you can’t do it yourself it may be better to go to a boatyard and get them to do it.  But it will cost.

Thanks for advice. I’m on a marina with safe parking, not in central London. I meant someone with carpentry and plumbing skills on boats, doesn’t necessarily have to be certified! I’m clueless about this stuff I’m afraid. I work  long hours and although I’d like to learn, I just don’t have the time at present and just needed a quick fix.

Does your marina have any guys who could do this for you? 

Will the marina allow outside workers to attend in the marina. many won't?

This weekend its the Silverstone Grand Prix, many will be glued to the TV, the whole race is televised.

1 hour ago, Boatsten said:

Thanks for advice. I’m on a marina with safe parking, not in central London. I meant someone with carpentry and plumbing skills on boats, doesn’t necessarily have to be certified! I’m clueless about this stuff I’m afraid. I work  long hours and although I’d like to learn, I just don’t have the time at present and just needed a quick fix.

To get to the rotten floor the shower tray will have to come out, and if the damp has soaked up the wall the tile adhesive may have failed, so tiles will fall off the wall (lack of tile grout could even be the cause of the leak).  I could go on, but this is not going to be a quick fix.  This type of job doesn’t usually need a lot of expensive materials, but it will require a lot of expensive time, hence the advice to diy (or lots of spare cash).

Still the job needs doing, so good luck in finding someone, but from your limited description I think you will need someone for a few days.

Edited by Chewbacka

5 hours ago, Boatsten said:

Ideally this weekend.

:):):):):):):):)

Getting back to the real world, "Pimlico Plumbers" did some works for me but non-boat. I think they will look at most things.  Look at their website. The work you need will cost a bomb unless you do it yourself.

7 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

:):):):):):):):)

Getting back to the real world, "Pimlico Plumbers" did some works for me but non-boat. I think they will look at most things.  Look at their website. The work you need will cost a bomb unless you do it yourself.

Aren’t they the lot where their plumbers are on £100k per year?  

You'll probably get a more helpful answer on either of the London boaters facebook groups. P&S Marine or Winkwell boat yards might know someone. They gave me the number of a boat handyman a couple of years ago but lost it?.

Thank you all that have provided helpful comments. I’m waiting to get approved for the London Boaters group on Facebook, so thought I’d try here (despite the amount of being laughed at when I’m clearly at a loss at what to do). 

I’m aware it’s going to be expensive, but as I say, I work a lot, am often away and the boat is my full rime residence so can’t go long periods without shower facilities. I was honestly just trying on here to see if anyone was looking for the work, nothing else. I have no idea how to refit flooring or fix plumbing and will only make it worse.

PS. I have found workmen to come on short notice even on Sundays, so don’t know what the hilarity is! 

1 hour ago, Boatsten said:

PS. I have found workmen to come on short notice even on Sundays, so don’t know what the hilarity is!

If you've found competent, reasonably priced, workmen at that short notice, you have a magic touch!  Buy a lottery ticket whilst your luck is running.

Edited by system 4-50

51 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

If you've found competent, reasonably priced, workmen at that short notice, you have a magic touch!

Particularly if said workmen are knowledgeable about boats. 

3 hours ago, Boatsten said:

It sounds to me from your description of the work as though the whole of the interior of the boat will need to be stripped out in the shower area, possibly extending into the living accommodation either side, reconstructed and a new shower built. I would say this is about a week's work for two people say say £35 per hour each that comes to £2800.  Add on say £1k for timber, tiles adhesive, shower mixer, tray etc and you're well on the way to £4k.

Chances of a complete and thorough job being done over one weekend are zero, I'd say.

• Greenie 1