Hanley Park, on the Caldon

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Ange said:

It's telling that it's never first hand experience

Strange comment, considering the OP and the vast majority of posters are referring to their own first hand experiences in and around Stoke.

We've just been up the Caldon again. Moored in Hanley Park for lunch but I wouldn't stop there overnight; it would be great if the current works improved things but I wouldn't count on it. We've often stopped overnight a little way after bridge 14 with no problems & I always regard that as my first safe stop. This year however we stopped below Engine lock, it was very busy there.

In Stoke we often stop overnight at Westport Lake and have never had problems; ditto the Toby Carvery except just once, 20 years ago, a couple of guys sitting outside the pub had had a bit too much to drink so as they got up to leave they threw their empty bottles towards the boats - that's not enough to out me off & we had a good meal there on Tuesday night.

When I first went through there in 2014 we thought of mooring in the park, as was recommended in Nicholsons. It just looked like there might be a few teenagers around who might cause trouble, so we went half a mile further to the next bridge (8 I think) and moored there overnight without problems. 

The next time I went through in 2017 I moored overnight both ways by the Limekilns and new residential developments a bit further on, maybe near Bridge 9. We had no significant problems, although on the last night a loud group of boaters went past quite late, looked like they were having a party. I confess to curtain twitching as they went past, and got shouted it and they thumped the side of the boat in reply. 

We're on the way back now.... but what a beautiful canal, just got to find out what the perfumed flowers are along the canal. 

We'll be stopping at Milton for the butcher and brilliant bakers, the Co Op, the 2nd handbook shop is going strong :) Miner's Arms I'm afraid is boarded up.

From Milton we'll not be stopping until we're back on the T&M - but what a shame, the council/CRT have done a brilliant job to encourage boaters to stay at the park. 

Had a real stroke of luck, we bumped (not literally) into fuel boat Halsall, they gave us a diesel top up. Think they'll be going through Froghall tunnel - what a challenge :).

The Caldon Canal is fabulous, it's enchanted!

Edited by Jennifer McM

For goodness sake dont tell people.

hard locks vandals empty pounds no pubs fat boats moored on bends no views.

good thats redressed the balance its awful.

got an amazing shot of our old boat mecca in full LMS livery passing a steamer and carriages also in LMS livery on the railway.

• Happy 1

26 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

We're on the way back now.... but what a beautiful canal, just got to find out what the perfumed flowers are along the canal. 

We'll be stopping at Milton for the butcher and brilliant bakers, the Co Op, the 2nd handbook shop is going strong :) Miner's Arms I'm afraid is boarded up.

From Milton we'll not be stopping until we're back on the T&M - but what a shame, the council/CRT have done a brilliant job to encourage boaters to stay at the park. 

Had a real stroke of luck, we bumped (not literally) into fuel boat Halsall, they gave us a diesel top up. Think they'll be going through Froghall tunnel - what a challenge :).

The Caldon Canal is fabulous, it's enchanted!

I hope you gave Mrs Grumpy a wave at Milton Br 18.  Did you do the arm up to Leek as well as Froghall ?  A shame the Miners Arms is still boarded up as it has been for a a few years now. The Caldon is great canal, we may go up there again in September. Unfortunately we can't get through Froghall tunnel but it's still a pleasant walk over the top.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

I hope you gave Mrs Grumpy a wave at Milton Br 18.  Did you do the arm up to Leek as well as Froghall ?  A shame the Miners Arms is still boarded up as it has been for a a few years now. The Caldon is great canal, we may go up there again in September. Unfortunately we can't get through Froghall tunnel but it's still a pleasant walk over the top.

? We will be making sure we give Mrs Grumpy a big wave. Can't let the side down ?

No we didn't go through Froghall tunnel, we winded above Flint Mill Lock, breathing in as we passed the station. We didn't think we'd have much room going through the tunnel, what with the boat still 'traumatised' after a visit through Standedge tunnel. Another boater said there wasn't much through the tunnel (?), so we didn't push it. We could be returning next year to go through the Leek arm, but we're now on a mission to visit Liverpool and Elsmere Port before Autumn starts (plans do have a habit of changing though ?)

7 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

? We will be making sure we give Mrs Grumpy a big wave. Can't let the side down ?

No we didn't go through Froghall tunnel, we winded above Flint Mill Lock, breathing in as we passed the station. We didn't think we'd have much room going through the tunnel, what with the boat still 'traumatised' after a visit through Standedge tunnel. Another boater said there wasn't much through the tunnel (?), so we didn't push it. We could be returning next year to go through the Leek arm, but we're now on a mission to visit Liverpool and Elsmere Port before Autumn starts (plans do have a habit of changing though ?)

Good for him, a real waste of time going through there

12 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Liverpool & Ellesmere Port are well worth a visit. We went to Liverpool last September & had a great week there.

• Greenie 1