Hanley Park, on the Caldon

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

We've now moored just past Bridge 18 cos we've picked something up, and have hardly any reverse. Unfortunately we've upset a native in a posh house across the way, we were struggling to moor (cos it's shallow and silted up, plus hardly any reverse) and we made a bit of noise  This mooring also looks good for a CoOp.  Internet looks strong, so what's not to like for a weekend mooring :) 

We had a similar experience at the same spot just past Br 18 a few years ago. As we moored up, the woman opposite stood with her hands on her hips and stared at us for some time then hurriedly took her washing in. She then went and closed all the curtains in her conservatory. On the return journey we made a point of stopping in exactly the same spot so she could enjoy the experience again.  :D

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

We had a similar experience at the same spot just past Br 18 a few years ago. As we moored up, the woman opposite stood with her hands on her hips and stared at us for some time then hurriedly took her washing in. She then went and closed all the curtains in her conservatory. On the return journey we made a point of stopping in exactly the same spot so she could enjoy the experience again.  :D

Yes that's the one.... ??

She's the only one with a conservatory! My OH waved at her, while I looked embarrassed, she's still got the habit of having hands on hips. She does a good flounce though :) 

The Caldon, just before the pub at Milton, is the only canal where I have been shot at with a air rifle ? (did get shot at once at Bedworth on the Coventry, but that turned out to be a harmless BB gun). Still scary though.

The beginning is much better now its been redeveloped, used to de decrepit old factories, but I still wouldn't moor overnight after Etruria or before the pub at Milton.

The rest is lovely,  especially the Froghall branch.

Again in Stoke the only places to moor overnight are Etruria, the Carvery, Westport Lake and the southern end of Harecastle Tunnel. In the past I have moored at the northern end of Harecastle Tunnel because of just missing the last transit. Nowadays I make sure I get there in time to transit the tunnel.

56 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Yes that's the one.... ??

She's the only one with a conservatory! My OH waved at her, while I looked embarrassed, she's still got the habit of having hands on hips. She does a good flounce though :) 

Perhaps we should arrange a "just past br 18" boat rally there !!   :giggles:

3 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Perhaps we should arrange a "just past br 18" boat rally there !!   :giggles:

Yes great idea, can it be in the winter with the chimneys smok---....? no, no, I'm not going there ?

The canal is so narrow, we're just half a boat away from the bottom of her garden - if she doesn't like us boaters, then it must really infuriate. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I remember her too. Never understood why people like that buy houses on the canal. It was almost certainly there when they moved in.

If you walk into the village, the stationers on the left is also a very fine second hand bookshop. 

Brilliant Arthur, thanks for the tip. I'm taking it the village is where the CoOp shop is? 

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Brilliant Arthur, thanks for the tip. I'm taking it the village is where the CoOp shop is? 

If you go east from Br18, the shops are not far from the Miners Arms. I'm not sure if the Miners Arms is still in use.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Don't forget to give your Divi number.

I've just joined the CoOp last month cos I use them a lot as we travel about, thinking I might get a few coppers back. Went shopping in the CoOp by Glascote locks, presented them with my new card, only to be told they are the 'wrong sort' of CoOp. :(

Apparently some shops are independent CoOp shops, some are not..... Grrrr ?

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Don't forget to give your Divi number.

My mother used to send me the 1 mile to the Coop with her shopping list, I can still remember her number 153430.  The Portsmouth Coop paid a massive 1s/ 8pence in pound dividend, other areas were much less. The divi gradually reduced over the years and then disappeared.

Edited by Flyboy
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

I've just joined the CoOp last month cos I use them a lot as we travel about, thinking I might get a few coppers back. Went shopping in the CoOp by Glascote locks, presented them with my new card, only to be told they are the 'wrong sort' of CoOp. :(

I just used the divi number 365748  but this was about 65 years ago. 

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

There's another Co-op not far from the Caldon at Endon.  Just after the obstacle course of the 'roundabout', bridge, and sharp right hand turn (where there's an old arm with moorings in it), there are some good moorings.  Walk back to the bridge, take the path across the fields to the main road, and the Co-op is down the road to the left.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

There's another Co-op not far from the Caldon at Endon.  Just after the obstacle course of the 'roundabout', bridge, and sharp right hand turn (where there's an old arm with moorings in it), there are some good moorings.  Walk back to the bridge, take the path across the fields to the main road, and the Co-op is down the road to the left.

Thank Adam, good information! :) 

7 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

In the town, the only places I'd consider mooring are the Lake or by the Carvery. 

A local boater was telling me that he has had trouble at both the lake and the carvery. Its probably best not to stop in Stoke at all but unfortunately the Holy Inadequate is such a good pub that a stop just has to be risked.

.............Dave

I've done my best - unfortunately there are folks determined to make Stoke a place not to be visited. That does upset me but hey ho , I can't compete with the third hand reports and pre conceived ideas based on third hand reports. Bearing in mind I actually lived there. My opinion is of course trumped by people who pass by. I give up trying to be give an opinion based on living in the area

I'm really struggling to understand why anyone would condemn an area based on second or third hand reports.

I'd be more than happy to moor at Westport Lake and China Gardens. I lived there.

It saddens me that one particular forum member is determined to denigrate Stoke.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Ange said:

It's telling that it's never first hand experience

Both the OP's experience and the one in the same place a few years back were first hand. So were my comments. 

But it's probably no different from any other inner city area - large number of people, some of whom will be scroats and a lot who aren't. Some places there are safe and some aren't, that's all. Westport Lake is fine. 

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Ange said:

I'd be more than happy to moor at Westport Lake and China Gardens. I lived there.

It saddens me that one particular forum member is determined to denigrate Stoke.

And dozens of people do every night throughout the summer months, you can be hard pushed to find a spot by the lakes if you dont arrive early.

22 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And dozens of people do every night throughout the summer months, you can be hard pushed to find a spot by the lakes if you dont arrive early.

We came out of the tunnel last week wanting to moor by the lake. No chance! The only space was immediately after the bridge where the Geese roost with there associated droppings that had to be 4 inches deep and rocks to prevent you getting within 2 ft of the edge anyway! we ended up moored to nice mooring rings at Longport, a dodgy area by the bridge at Stoke boats. had a good quiet night.

Quiet until the lorries arrived to the concrete works a few yards away at 7 in the morning..

Nipper

Edited by nipper
School boy english!