Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
catweasel

Another Senior Moment.

Featured Posts

Must have done 40 or 50 boat engine oil changes over the years, and today did yet another. Changed the engine and gearbox oil and checked the various other things that one does whilst in there, double checked levels, then started putting my stuff away and saw the brand new oil filter ready to go on. Forgot to change the bloody thing! Changed it of course :)
I then doubted myself and double checked that I had tightened the drain plugs etc! 
I used to take the mick out of older workmates when they did stuff like this; better not tell my son....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Must have done 40 or 50 boat engine oil changes over the years, and today did yet another. Changed the engine and gearbox oil and checked the various other things that one does whilst in there, double checked levels, then started putting my stuff away and saw the brand new oil filter ready to go on. Forgot to change the bloody thing! Changed it of course :)
I then doubted myself and double checked that I had tightened the drain plugs etc! 
I used to take the mick out of older workmates when they did stuff like this; better not tell my son....

Know the feeling.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Nightmare isn't it?  My "party piece" was waking in the middle of the night, convinced I'd left a crucial nut or bolt loose.  Would have to get the customer back on a pretext and quickly check the nut/bolt.  They were always tight, just couldn't remember doing it. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Nightmare isn't it?  My "party piece" was waking in the middle of the night, convinced I'd left a crucial nut or bolt loose.  Would have to get the customer back on a pretext and quickly check the nut/bolt.  They were always tight, just couldn't remember doing it. 

Yes, then there are the "fridge moments" when you start to do something, and promptly forget what you were doing.
As for the TV remote, I am going to tie it to the telly with a length of string.
Then when you are half way through a tale........

Edited by catweasel
  • Happy 1

28 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Just to cheer you up a bit, it is simply that your brain has gone onto autopilot since you've done the task countless times and the brain no longer needs your conscious input. ( https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/the-minute-therapist/201803/is-your-brain-automatic-pilot  ), the line from the article I quite like is,"... When our automatic level of consciousness is engaged, our conscious mind is free to perform other tasks....". You just need to remind yourself that you know what you are doing;)

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

9 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

I reckon the brain is always full of stuff, as new stuff is added other less vital stuff drops off. 

I'm partly with you.  I agree that stuff drops out when your brain is full, but from experience I'm not sure it's only the less vital stuff!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm partly with you.  I agree that stuff drops out when your brain is full, but from experience I'm not sure it's only the less vital stuff!

Agree with that, I could only say if it was less vital......if I could remember what it was:huh:

It's the same with the junk you come across in drawers and cupboards.

My Father used to hold something in his hand and say to nobody in particular …….

"No idea, probably useless junk I'll never need, better keep it close to me for the rest of my life ….. unless it's crucial and the only one I have, in which case …. better misplace it immediately"

15 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

My Father used to hold something in his hand and say to nobody in particular …….

"No idea, probably useless junk I'll never need, better keep it close to me for the rest of my life ….. unless it's crucial and the only one I have, in which case …. better misplace it immediately"

I have a different approach. I hold the piece of junk and ask myself "shall I throw this away now? Or shall I keep it for ten years and THEN throw it away...??

Guess which I usually choose.....

Ever find yourself in a room in the house having no idea why you're there?

There's nothing wrong, it's just nature's way of making sure you get enough exercise as you get older.

HH

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Harpur Hill said:

There's nothing wrong, it's just nature's way of making sure you get enough exercise as you get older.

HH

Often! A "what am I doing here" moment...

Heard myself say …..

"I'll never forget good old what's-his-name ……"

• Greenie 1

Last time I serviced the engine I wrote a checklist to tick off jobs as I went along, that way I wouldn't have to worry about whether I had tightened to odd nut etc.

I found it the other day still in the toolbox unused. There's no hope

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Just to cheer you up a bit, it is simply that your brain has gone onto autopilot since you've done the task countless times and the brain no longer needs your conscious input. ( https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/the-minute-therapist/201803/is-your-brain-automatic-pilot  ), the line from the article I quite like is,"... When our automatic level of consciousness is engaged, our conscious mind is free to perform other tasks....". You just need to remind yourself that you know what you are doing;)

that is very comforting ..... thank you.

1 hour ago, Harpur Hill said:

HH

Worse than that is getting to a certain room too late.....lol.  (No Tumsh, it hasn't happened yet) :giggles:

Still on the "I must be getting old" theme:
I was largely brought up by my grandmother who had some very interesting sayings, like when getting up from her chair to do something she would say "It's cold when you move," or another favourite, "Don't play by the doors, you will be in a draught."
I had no idea what these things meant, at least not until I turned 60, and alas now know what they mean.

54 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Worse than that is getting to a certain room too late.....lol.  (No Tumsh, it hasn't happened yet) :giggles:

Aye, the joys of advancing years...

But don't forget - Thrifty to fifty then spend to the end.

• Greenie 1

The old saying I fear the most, "Once a man, twice a boy" 😉 Funny but not really.....

15 hours ago, catweasel said:

I did something similar at the age of 18, changing the oil on my first car, a Riley Elf (Mini with a boot). I changed the filter, (which was a relaceable paper element in a metal case, secured by a long bolt going tnrough its centre, but forgot to tightem up tne securing bolt sufficiently.

Started the engine, wondered why the oil pressure gauge come up to pressure then began to drop. Switched off the engine and found a huge puddle of oil on the garage floor... 😣

26 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I did something similar at the age of 18, changing the oil on my first car, a Riley Elf (Mini with a boot). I changed the filter, (which was a relaceable paper element in a metal case, secured by a long bolt going tnrough its centre, but forgot to tightem up tne securing bolt sufficiently.

Started the engine, wondered why the oil pressure gauge come up to pressure then began to drop. Switched off the engine and found a huge puddle of oil on the garage floor... 😣

Filling the engine with 5lt of lovely new clean (and expensive oil) then when it's all gone in you then notice you've forgot to replace the drain plug. 😟

Worked for a garage boss who was so tight he could have peeled an orange in his pocket, plus he was also never wrong.  He wouldn't invest in a drum pump, so we had to lay 200 litre drums on there side and just use a drum tap.  One day he'd just put a jug under the tap when the phone rang, off he rushed to answer it.  I was down the other end, working on a two post ramp.  I estimate about two or three gallons ran out onto the floor, before I "rushed" over to turn it off.

That was maybe 35 yrs ago an' I'm still chuckling at the ear bashing his wife gave him.  We had drum pumps after that.....

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

New brake pads on the ex wife's car, easy job and off we drove to do married couple things...

A mile down the road she looked at me and asked is the car ok? I pulled over and without any comment got out and tightened the wheel nuts, which I remembered I forgot to tighten,  on all 4 wheels.

"Cars fine" said myself and off we went

• Haha 1

There's a really busy and rather dangerous traffic light controlled junction on the road to my old workplace.  It needs a lot of concentration because of all the red light dodgers.  I often got to work to find that I had absolutely no recollection of going across the junction that morning.

33 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

There's a really busy and rather dangerous traffic light controlled junction on the road to my old workplace.  It needs a lot of concentration because of all the red light dodgers.  I often got to work to find that I had absolutely no recollection of going across the junction that morning.

Do you see many accidents in your rearview mirror?🤣