Engine

Emily2310

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Severe sense of humour laps, lighten up chaps, Hider means no harm but he does have a very strange idea of what others find funny. Lived with him for years and he is better now than then!

Can't say too much but he has to hide, its a strain for him.

Appreciate that he is different, unique and quite funny on a good day.?

Sam.

I get what you say Sam, but so many first time posters are scared away by such answers, my tother half said it was rude and uncalled for

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I get what you say Sam, but so many first time posters are scared away by such answers, my tother half said it was rude and uncalled for

I must agree to some extent but I can assure you being rude would not be his intention, he is rarely rude or swears.

I'll have a word.

Sam.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I must agree to some extent but I can assure you being rude would not be his intention, he is rarely rude or swears.

I'll have a word.

Sam.

Well he must be Dr Jekyl when he logs on here then.  In around 14 years as a member on this forum, I've only once  had reason to report a post. If memory serves, was only the third he made, removed by a mod before it was able to upset the female member it was aimed at.

37 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Well he must be Dr Jekyl when he logs on here then.  In around 14 years as a member on this forum, I've only once  had reason to report a post. If memory serves, was only the third he made, removed by a mod before it was able to upset the female member it was aimed at.

As an ex share owner and now a boat owner his feelings about us were not top of the world.

8 hours ago, hider said:

Unless you fasten it to a boat, it will sink. Its a stinking petrol engine, usually a grey colour, with a propeller on the bottom end.

Not enough room for 2 adults, 1 will fall off.

#Well, asking a daft question what did you expect?

Its the boat that controls speed, capacity etc. Without that info its an impossible question

totally uncalled for

Also, had you read the original post you would have seen that the boat is 18' by 1.5 m

Edited by Slim

3 hours ago, hider said:

No, To criticise me is unfair, I answered the question as it was asked. What I replied is factually correct.

I have no problems with females, only stroppy males and females on the forum.

I just don't support idiots especially when they ask daft questions that no one can answer fully.

You need to acquire a sense of humour.

No, you need to acquire some manners.

Just accept you were wrong and apologise.

Edited by Slim
  • Greenie 4

I think you are being a little dramatic if you take that as an insult.

Besides, he was a share boater and is now an owner so its a comment about himself really?

There was a company with share boats nearby who were a pain with the lack of consideration but they have moved and we see a lot less of them now. It seemed that they were still full of motorway adrenalin when they first got under way.

Anyway, on his behalf, if you feel hurt or personally offended I apologise.

I am usually the curmudgeonly one!

Sam.

We are not born realising the delicate inferences involved in good communication.

In fact many of us ever realise that three things are required to ensure it happens regardless of our age.

* The words you use

* The tone of your voice

* The non verbal aspects - Facial expression - Body shrugs etc.

Words aren't reliable as they mean different things to different people (sand shoes, plimsoles, pumps, trainers for example)

Tone of voice gets distorted in phone conversations.

Body language is only valid in face to face events, and is the biggest % of the message given. If you need proof of this face somebody and tell them you really like them while shaking your head.  Then check what was the message they got.

The written word is the least effective.  There is every likely hood the OP would have taken hider's words as literally as did we, that's unfortunate.

I'm giving "hider" (whether he wants it or not) the benefit of the doubt that if we'd all been together in a pub his tone of voice and non verbal skills would have made it less abrasive.

We all at times need to remember this and question the suitability of our communication, I know I do regularly, and still get it wrong.

Unless of course the result really is what was intended in which case anyone posting such a reply might benefit from questioning their intentions instead.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Emily2310 said:

I wouldn’t consider myself an idiot, I simply forgot to put some useful information down, which I’ve since corrected and had some helpful responses.  Thank you 

Emily, welcome to the forum. 

Don't worry about Hider/Boater Sam, they gave themselves away a few weeks ago as being one and the same person. Possibly an illness might explain such rudeness at times, and helpfulness at others.

Best just to tolerate his rudeness when it occurs. When pulled up on it he usually claims it was humour , as he has done in this thread. 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

The written word is the least effective.  There is every likely hood the OP would have taken hider's words as literally as did we, that's unfortunate.

I'm giving "hider" (whether he wants it or not) the benefit of the doubt that if we'd all been together in a pub his tone of voice and non verbal skills would have made it less abrasive.

If this was a one off post that could be misinterpreted then I would also give hider sam the benefit of the doubt, but as there has been post after post after post where he proves himself to be most unpleasant with many people but in particular with women then it is important that this behaviour is acknowledged especially to new members. 

• Greenie 3

11 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Lol, shouldn't that have been in "another senior moment"?

LOL :)
I decided not to stir the hornet's nest ;)

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, hider said:

No, To criticise me is unfair, I answered the question as it was asked. What I replied is factually correct.

I have no problems with females, only stroppy males and females on the forum.

I just don't support idiots especially when they ask daft questions that no one can answer fully.

You need to acquire a sense of humour.

What can be said in person with a smile and a wink ‘may’ be acceptable - depending upon how well you know the person, but in print will nearly always come across as aggressive and objectionable - I learnt this the hard way some years ago.  So my suggestion is either tactfully point out what is missing from the question (nobody wants to be made to look foolish) or just don’t reply and leave it to someone else.

Edited by Chewbacka

9 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

What can be said with a smile and a wink ‘may’ be acceptable, but in print will always come across as aggressive and objectionable - I learnt this he hard way some years ago.  So my suggestion is either tactfully point out what is missing from the question (nobody wants to be made to look foolish) or just don’t reply.

Yes it is easy to type something that looks agreeable or funny to one's self, then find that it has offended others. Body language is an important part of a conversation, but sadly missing in the written word. 
That said, I am convinced that some people are intentionally obnoxious.

8 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Hence the last sentence in my post #38

If you truly believe an epiphany can be found in this instance then you're a better man than me. 

Personally I think this is an instance where the participant was completely self aware, knew exactly what he was saying, and achieved exactly what he intended. 

This is merely my opinion and other opinions are available :D

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

If you truly believe an epiphany can be found in this instance then you're a better man than me. 

Personally I think this is an instance where the participant was completely self aware, knew exactly what he was saying, and achieved exactly what he intended. 

This is merely my opinion and other opinions are available :D

He's definitely a better man than you.?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1