Engine

Emily2310

Featured Posts

Hi, could anyone tell me what a Yamaha 8HP 4 stroke is like please?, how fast would that go with 2 adults and a bit of stuff on board?. 

Thanks for your help. 

Sorry it’s 18ft long and 1.5 meters wide. 

Edited by Emily2310
Missing info

Unless you fasten it to a boat, it will sink. Its a stinking petrol engine, usually a grey colour, with a propeller on the bottom end.

Not enough room for 2 adults, 1 will fall off.

#Well, asking a daft question what did you expect?

Its the boat that controls speed, capacity etc. Without that info its an impossible question

• Haha 1
  • Angry 2

12 minutes ago, Emily2310 said:

Hi, could anyone tell me what a Yamaha 8HP 4 stroke is like please?, how fast would that go with 2 adults and a bit of stuff on board?. 

Thanks for your help. 

They are good engines. My buddy has one on his day boat. As others have said though your question is unanswerable at present.

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Welcome to the forums. Emily. A more tactful response than Hiders is that it will power many small dinghies and boats even small short narrow boats on calm inland waters.

But may not be any good at charging the batteries for domestic use.

Welcome to the forum.
Tell us about the boat concerned and you will get more helpful answers. Please disregard those with a chip on their shoulder; 99% here are friendly and helpful, and will give reasonable answers.
From a canal perspective,the downsides of outboards are petrol availability, the higher price of petrol (full "road" tax unlike canal diesel at present) and poor/no battery charging facility or domestic water heating..
On the plus side, outboards are cheaper to buy, the savings of which can contribute to solar panels etc.

Edited by Guest

58 minutes ago, hider said:

Unless you fasten it to a boat, it will sink. Its a stinking petrol engine, usually a grey colour, with a propeller on the bottom end.

Its the boat that controls speed, capacity etc. Without that info its an impossible question

Reading between the lines, I'd guess that Emily is as new to boating as she is to this forum and you think that's an acceptable response to a first post?

You really do appear to have a problem with females.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Welcome to the forum.

The answers to your question depend on what sort of boat you have - is it a 12 foot dinghy, a 70 foot narrowboat or something in between?

10 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Reading between the lines, I'd guess that Emily is as new to boating as she is to this forum and you think that's an acceptable response to a first post?

You really do appear to have a problem with females.

Thank you, yes very new to all of this. 

It’s 18ft long and 1.5 meters wide. Thanks 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Emily2310 said:

Thank you, yes very new to all of this. 

It’s 18ft long and 1.5 meters wide. Thanks 

Ahh

Then its a very fine engine indeed and will move you and friend/s admirably at a reasonable speed on both canals and non tidal rivers. Tidal if you play your cards right ?

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, hider said:

If you have nothing good to say say nothing it stops you looking like a right idiot, for the record my widebeam is 57 x 12 foot and because I have an electric motor I can tell you that 3000 watts will move it at 3 mph 3000 watts equals 3 and 3/4 HP so I am sure 8 HP will move Emilys boat

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Yes I agree with @mrsmelly It should do the job just fine, I've seen 8HP cope admirably on 18ft yachts.

Yes, agree too that it should be plenty to push such a boat, more than enough for the canal. I've used an 8hp Yam 2 stroke to push a 20' one ton yacht against tidal river currents in the past and it was well suited to the job. At 1.5m (approx 5ft) wide and`18' long, it sounds as though yours is an open or cuddy dayboat so probably a good bit lighter than one ton. As a comparison, I'm currently using a 5hp Yam on a 19' cabin cruiser (approx 800kg all up with me and kit) on narrow canals and it is quite adequate. I also used a similar 5hp engine as an auxillary on a 16' fishing boat on the sea and in benign conditions would have a run out using it instead of the main engine. It did the job fine. Maybe the question should not be 'how fast will it go?' but 'will I be able to go slow enough on the canal to avoid creating a breaking wash'.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

19 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Yes, agree too that it should be plenty to push such a boat, more than enough for the canal. I've used an 8hp Yam 2 stroke to push a 20' one ton yacht against tidal river currents in the past and it was well suited to the job. At 1.5m (approx 5ft) wide and`18' long, it sounds as though yours is an open or cuddy dayboat so probably a good bit lighter than one ton. As a comparison, I'm currently using a 5hp Yam on a 19' cabin cruiser (approx 800kg all up with me and kit) on narrow canals and it is quite adequate. I also used a similar 5hp engine as an auxillary on a 16' fishing boat on the sea and in benign conditions would have a run out using it instead of the main engine. It did the job fine. Maybe the question should not be 'how fast will it go?' but 'will I be able to go slow enough on the canal to avoid creating a breaking wash'.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

If you have nothing good to say say nothing it stops you looking like a right idiot, for the record my widebeam is 57 x 12 foot and because I have an electric motor I can tell you that 3000 watts will move it at 3 mph 3000 watts equals 3 and 3/4 HP so I am sure 8 HP will move Emilys boat

No, To criticise me is unfair, I answered the question as it was asked. What I replied is factually correct.

I have no problems with females, only stroppy males and females on the forum.

I just don't support idiots especially when they ask daft questions that no one can answer fully.

You need to acquire a sense of humour.

19 minutes ago, hider said:

No, To criticise me is unfair, I answered the question as it was asked. What I replied is factually correct.

I just don't support idiots especially when they ask daft questions that no one can answer fully.

I think you need to read what you put or not answer the question

Yamaha outboards are good reliable  motors.

Had the 6hp one on a Norman 20,and it was more than enough on canals.

Was only pull start,and wouldn't charge the battery.

Some of the smaller outboards as optional exras have electric start and an alternator for battery charging.

55 minutes ago, hider said:

If someone has no experience of boating they don't know the right questions to ask or the right information to give.

1 minute ago, catweasel said:

Many moons ago my late Dad had a Yamaha outboard (15hp IIRC) that ran on paraffin. It was a fine engine but did tend to stink a bit. 

Hmmmmmm burning paraffin ❤️

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut and let people think your a prat, rather than opening it and expelling all doubt.

Severe sense of humour laps, lighten up chaps, Hider means no harm but he does have a very strange idea of what others find funny. Lived with him for years and he is better now than then!

Can't say too much but he has to hide, its a strain for him.

Appreciate that he is different, unique and quite funny on a good day.?

Sam.