The tenant of Brewery Basin

Heartland

Featured Posts

The building of the Malthouse Pub beside the canal in Birmingham was accompanied by the placing of a small craft in Brewery Basin, adjacent. There it stays, but what was, or is, it? This craft has the appearance of a cut down narrowboat, but was this the case?

DSC_0010r.jpg

Canal Art, is a good explanation to a scale smaller than a normal boat. perhaps, but this appears too accurate and the questions of the hows and whys are a growing list. I do not recall reading anything about it, but seeing it one day in place.

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yeah, it's a rigidly mounted art installation.  I thought it was a boat too, but @cheshire~rose told me it wasn't so I hopped the wall to have a closer look.

It's not even sat in the water sometimes!

20190606_211908.jpg.9f9d486fdcbf8544ea77636fc7828a0e.jpg

20190606_211943.jpg.5ef0ec0e67f7bc6e0698ee9e80afafee.jpg

Don't go bringing me into it - someone will accuse me of flogging off the cabin brass :) 

I’m sure at one point this had a builders name on it and it was one of the more well known late 80’s-early 90’s builders.....maybe Doug Moore or Peter Nicholls?? I think there might even have been and article about it in waterways world. 

Its sadly lost lost some of its brasswork over the years too. 

39 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Is it scaled down? Sitting on a plinth, or what? Dummy chimney; wrong size; no collar - nothing within?

I'm surprised it hasn't been vandalised and painted on.

Apart from the length, it seems to be a properly proportioned boat. The photographs are misleading

There should be enough clues in the work to identify the builder, that rain strip over the doors on the front of the cabin is distinctive. It's a shame the bow is concealed

Richard

Given I just happen to be on the spot, I just walked round to have a close look at it.

I would say that it is full scale, just very short, and it does not look to be floating.  It is basically decoration.

Features like the rear hatch and gas locker are just welded in place to look appropriately correct and the swan neck has no diameter reduction for the tiller bar.

IMG_3816.JPG

IMG_3818.JPG

IMG_3819.JPG

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Heartland said:

I came across an image that shows a similar craft moored in Birmingham. It has a wooden rudder with the name Ross engraved on it.

647042.jpg

That's now at bclm, along with Coventry (might be wrong) but I got told the 2 were owned by the same person