Back boiler diagram

Carl.b

Featured Posts

Hi all, I'm looking to re do my back boiler system and I could use some help... 

I have a squirrel with back boiler already fitted. It will have just 2 rads on it, I have a jabsco circ pump, and I have a self bleeding valve to be fitted at the back of the fire.

The original set up was half copper 22mm. Then they added a rad with 15mm plastic, also only added water so the rads are rotten inside so a refit is in order. 

If someone could do me a very basic diagram of what where, preferably the pipes all on the bottom as I can't hide the pipes under the gunwals.... 

I am thinking top outlet out the boiler has the self bleed valve (was there originally) then that feeds into the first radiator bottom right then 22mm main pipe with 15mm into the rads by the way.  And then same into the next radiator, then at the bow of the boat elbow small straight then elbow (to make it return lol) and then that part into the left side of each radiator then into the bottom of the boiler. At the bow part I would add the header tank, its the grey box type one with 2 outlets, I was thinking add 1 pipe from the header into the bottom pipe and one into the top pipe? 

Sorry I can't do a drawing I can't sus it out on my phone at the moment. 

Appreciate all the help ?

10 hours ago, davidb said:

Why not draw your idea on paper then post a photo on the forum?

Been trying too... Lol me phone won't let me... My laptop is in for repair so having to use this bloody phone lol... I have tried to add a really bad pic, see if it works...  The diagram I drew with a crayon of course lol was of the Internet, at the end of the system I would add the header tank. 

1562745476659659205477975613164.jpg.a97aaf1ae6d7fef4020a53af30ecc521.jpg

I would put the header tank above the stove with the feed pipe connected to the lowest point in the system and extend the stub with the auto bleed valve up into the header tank above water level. ideally with a shallow swan neck. That way you don't have a self bleed valve that may leak in time and will have a pipe to vent steam and hot water into the header tank in the event of the stove running away or the pump failing and boiling.

If I read you suggestion correctly I think that you intend to put the header tank after the last/top radiator and in that case if the stove boiled in may well push enough hot water into the header tank to make it overflow hot, rusty water/antifreeze mixture over the inside of the boat.

In my view t would be well worthwhile really trying hard to see if it is in any way possible to fit those high level large bore pipe so you can use gravity circulation because with a pump you are totally reliant on the battery supply and pump operation to prevent boiling.

What is the wattage of the two radiators in your proposed system, or is that watt is the whatage? Need to ensure there is enough radiator area to cope with the Squirrel going full blast without boiling the water. Hard to find the power output, but here says 8000Btus. Assuming they actually mean BTU/hr, then this works out as 2.3kW, which seems plausible with a 4 to 5kW total output stove.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies