Skipton to Leeds

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, any advice from skipton to Leeds re moorings and can you moor overnight in Saltaire over night ? Any pub reccomendations welcomed .What is the time limits in Leeds , two or three days will do us, can you get a hook up there ? If going slow where is the best places to moor before Leeds and the last place to moor before Leeds? Thanks.

It's generally accepted that Rodley is the last overnight stop before Leeds.

We always try to get on the offside moorings at Victoria Street bridge in Saltaire. When we were last there CRT were putting in some new towpath moorings, you can't stop overnight on the nice moorings in front of the flats.  It can be a pain to get into the side. 

I'm a bit out of touch with Leeds, our favourite spot used to be the offside moorings above Office Lock, don't like Clarence Dock at all and of course you can get stuck there if the river comes up.

• Happy 1

Agree with Neil2 that Rodley is probably the last place to stop before your descent into Leeds - for me, not because of the alleged issues with locals as I think this is a thing of the past, but in reality there are very few places to moor in between as it’s a bit shallow around the edges.

Also, I think the major mooring points in Leeds have been given different names over time.  When Neil2 is referring to the moorings above Office Lock, i think this is now known as Granary Wharf and is the last basin before you drop onto to the River Aire.  These are decent moorings right in the city centre next to the railway station.  Yes, it’s a little noisy but actually surprisingly quiet at the same time given it’s location. There are some hook up points but I don’t think they actually work, but that aside these are good city centre moorings.

if you drop down onto the river for a short distance (maybe half a mile) just before you reach the next lock on the right you will find the Royal Armouries basin. There are quite a few permanent moorings on the right hand side as you enter but about five or six visitor moorings on the left against a pontoon. These have electric hook up and you can get cards from the CRT North West Office which is located just over the bridge on the other side of the River Aire.  These moorings are about a ten minute walk from the city centre and feel a bit more up market from Granary Wharf but we liked them both for different reasons.

Hope this helps

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Agree with Neil2 that Rodley is probably the last place to stop before your descent into Leeds - for me, not because of the alleged issues with locals as I think this is a thing of the past, but in reality there are very few places to moor in between as it’s a bit shallow around the edges.

Also, I think the major mooring points in Leeds have been given different names over time.  When Neil2 is referring to the moorings above Office Lock, i think this is now known as Granary Wharf and is the last basin before you drop onto to the River Aire.  These are decent moorings right in the city centre next to the railway station.  Yes, it’s a little noisy but actually surprisingly quiet at the same time given it’s location. There are some hook up points but I don’t think they actually work, but that aside these are good city centre moorings.

if you drop down onto the river for a short distance (maybe half a mile) just before you reach the next lock on the right you will find the Royal Armouries basin. There are quite a few permanent moorings on the right hand side as you enter but about five or six visitor moorings on the left against a pontoon. These have electric hook up and you can get cards from the CRT North West Office which is located just over the bridge on the other side of the River Aire.  These moorings are about a ten minute walk from the city centre and feel a bit more up market from Granary Wharf but we liked them both for different reasons.

Hope this helps

Just a couple of small corrections:- the CRT offices are CRT NE not  NW which are, I think,  actually in  Wigan. Granary Wharf is below Office Lock and above River Lock and has a number of moorings including electric hook up points. There are also moorings above Office Lock but I don't think it has any  hook ups.

Howard

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

9 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Hope this helps

The moorings I was referring to are in the pound above granary wharf - (aren't they charged for?) there is a short gated section between Office lock and the railway bridge.  The railway makes it a bit noisy but otherwise it is surprisingly pleasant and our dogs preferred it because there is a grass verge... 

One thing worth a mention is that on a really windy day this whole area can be difficult for a narrowboat to negotiate because of all the tall buildings that seem to funnel the wind in all directions, at least that's been my experience.

Of course the main issue getting from Skipton to Leeds is the number of swing bridges and Millman bridge at Apperley bridge is my most hated location on the entire canal network. 

15 minutes ago, howardang said:

Just a couple of small corrections:- the CRT offices are CRT NE not  NW which are, I think,  actually in  Wigan. Granary Wharf is below Office Lock and above River Lock and has a number of moorings including electric hook up points. There are also moorings above Office Lock but I don't think it has any  hook ups.

Howard

Thanks Howard, you are quite right, NE not NW although the location is right, just across the footbridge.  You are also right that I confused Office Lock with River Lock but whilst there are electric hook up points there I don’t think they work. At least they didn’t  when we were there.

6 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

The moorings I was referring to are in the pound above granary wharf - (aren't they charged for?) there is a short gated section between Office lock and the railway bridge.  The railway makes it a bit noisy but otherwise it is surprisingly pleasant and our dogs preferred it because there is a grass verge... 

One thing worth a mention is that on a really windy day this whole area can be difficult for a narrowboat to negotiate because of all the tall buildings that seem to funnel the wind in all directions, at least that's been my experience.

Of course the main issue getting from Skipton to Leeds is the number of swing bridges and Millman bridge at Apperley bridge is my most hated location on the entire canal network. 

I’m pretty sure the moorings in Granary Wharf are free, as they are in Royal Armouries. I know the gated section you mean but personally, despite the gate I don’t think I would feel safe on that mooring but that might just be me! Agree about the swing bridges which I imagine are particularly difficult for single handers.

OK - we did it in 21ish moving hours - you could probably shave on that time with an active crew but why bother?

There are lots of "Why don't we just stop here - its nice" places on this run but we have certain 'standard' stopping places:

- Kildwick - after br187/winding hole - great views and down the hill to The White Lion

- Riddlesden br197 to 197a - a bit boring but rings along the towpath + Marquis of Granby at br197a

- Bingley - sanitary as you wait at the top / limited access to flights but manned

- foot of Three Rise, rings on the offside but adjacent road/railway - continue to

- br205 - bollard and hard standing next to The Fishermans - canalside seating

- Saltaire - nice looking bankside on the run in although never tried / Boathouse Inn down from br207a

- 6hour, daytime moorings opposite Salts Mill (visit!!) then CRT have installed a whole stack of rings after the converted mill with no posted time limit.  Problem is they didn't measure the water depth so you will have real trouble getting the whole boat next to the bank. I tried! Twice!!

- Shipley - another 2-300 meters further on on the offside - nice/quiet visitor moorings - ??pubs nearby....

locks 15-14 - tack on water etc - last chance before Leeds

- Apperley Bridge - useful fuel station/mini chandlery/tea shop at the marina then rings hidden in the grass on the towpath side after marina.  Pubs up the hill from br214a - not sampled

- Rodley is the acknowledged last jumping off point before entering bandit country on the way into Leeds.  I have never had a hint/sniff of bother personally on that stretch! Nice looking moorings before and a short jetty (?three boats) at br218.  Next to The Rodley Barge

- we skipped Rodley this time and rand ahead to Aire Valley Marina br 224 where we spent a quiet night. Then 2hrs into Leeds.  There are (?unpublished) limited access times to locks 13 to 8 so check.

- Office Lock - there used to be a water point there but now cut off.  Its now right next to a very active building site (cutting concrete as we passed!!), it is VERY weedy and there is one boat in residence with a large collection of stuffed toys and dogs

- Granary Wharf - floating pontoons for ?four boats marked up as 48hrs.  We stopped on the edge of that basin - no posted limited but ??14 days.  ?all free - we didn't pay anyone!  There is a bollard and plug in points but look derelict so may not work.  I did try the tap- Mole wrench required - and got a dribble but did not use it.  Very noisy/active during the day/evening but, come 9.30pm someone pulls the plug and the station is your only noise.  Very windy for moving the boat but comes and goes.  Last pound before river so water level can vary by about 2feet.  Great access to city (and adjacent bars [Asylum/Hilton/Archies!!] - a couple of smaller basins round the corner or on line.  Never moored at Armories but it looks nics if there is space

Thats about it - good sailing.....

• Happy 1

Thank you for that post, looking on line I think I will drop down the river to the armouries, thanks for all posts. If only the Calder and hebble was a couple of feet longer, damn.

7 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

No idea where it is precisely but we moored somewhere, took a walk and had a drink in the oringinal Woolpack of Emmerdale Farm fame.  Just saying.

Esholt sewage works.

7 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

No idea where it is precisely but we moored somewhere, took a walk and had a drink in the oringinal Woolpack of Emmerdale Farm fame.  Just saying.

Esholt, near Shipley. On filming days the production crew used to hang a ‘Woolpack’ sign over the pub’s real name “The Commercial Inn’, and you could see the hooks sticking out of the sign. Eventually the landlord figured it would be simpler for all concerned if he just changed the name of the pub to The Woolpack.

There used to be a cardboard cutout of the Emmerdale vicar with his hand outstretched, stood in the entrance to the chapel, for folk to chip in to the church restoration fund. 

On 11/07/2019 at 00:20, Timx said:

Thank you for that post, looking on line I think I will drop down the river to the armouries, thanks for all posts. If only the Calder and hebble was a couple of feet longer, damn.

How long is your boat? I have personally taken a 60 foot boat up the C&H sharing all but Salterhebble Top lock with a 45ft boat.

Don't believe the 57ft myth!

17 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

How long is your boat? I have personally taken a 60 foot boat up the C&H sharing all but Salterhebble Top lock with a 45ft boat.

Don't believe the 57ft myth!

Better going up than down. Leaking top gates were a real concern of swamping my 57ft back deck when descending.

22 hours ago, Timx said:

Marquis of Granby now shut

In Riddlesden?  That was my late FiL’s local. I knew many of the regulars plus the landlord & landlady. 

1 hour ago, Opener said:

First Puffer Parts, now MoG. Close the Co-op and there'll be no reason to stop (apart from the 'secret' water point).

Stop at the MoG, walk down to Riddlesden Road and turn right. Little corner shop type store and a really good chippy about 100yds away.