Ford watermota / wortham Blake gbox

Canveysteve

Featured Posts

Hi all have a oil leak at the rear of the engine I have removed the gear box but seems a gear stays atatched to the flywheel is this normal ? Looks as though it just bolts to the flywheel bolts ( to crank ) 

It in a Eastwood 24 if that helps 

Also what oil  should go in the gear box 

56 minutes ago, Canveysteve said:

Hi all have a oil leak at the rear of the engine I have removed the gear box but seems a gear stays atatched to the flywheel is this normal ? Looks as though it just bolts to the flywheel bolts ( to crank ) 

Welcome to the forum.  I'm not completly familiar your setup be I think what you are looking at is a dog shaft which connects the engine to the gearbox. If you can get to the flywheel bolts I would just undo them and remove the flywheel.  This link might help, lots of info there.

https://www.freemancruisers.com/engines/watermota

I've just noticed you are from Canvey. I was born on there in 1949  at 42 May Avenue, I expect it's now a giant housing estate.

Edited by Flyboy

26 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Welcome to the forum.  I'm not completly familiar your setup be I think what you are looking at is a dog shaft which connects the engine to the gearbox. If you can get to the flywheel bolts I would just undo them and remove the flywheel.  This link might help, lots of info there.

I've just noticed you are from Canvey. I was born on there in 1949  at 42 May Avenue, I expect it's now a giant housing estate.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5190866,0.599824,3a,60y,234.7h,73.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sujLnASMDxUaXz_vdVxZQJg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Thanks for that.  It was the semi detached chalet style house on the right. When my father was demobbed from the RAF after ww2 he worked as an engineer for R.G.Odells tugs on the Thames towing strings of rubbish barges. They used to take a lot of scenery from the film studios from up the Thames and dump it in the Estuary. The tug he was on was called Trela.

Edited by Flyboy
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Canveysteve said:

That is fairly typical for sun & planet wheel gearboxes made by a number of manufacturer's at that time so it is normal. Can't help you with the oil because it all too long ago but I suspect its engine oil but may be gear oil like the similar Lister boxes. I suggest you chat to either Sheridan  Cruisers at Moulsford on Thames or Chertsey Mead Marine, also on the Thames. Just undo the flywheel bolts to get it off but they often were a fairly tight fit on dowles or  a register in the flywheel or that shaft flange. It may need a few taps with a soft hammer.

12 hours ago, Flyboy said:

That's just a short walk from mine lol , na still all house atm

Sweet thanks all will give it a go n get it off UST to them having a damper / drive plate !

FWIW I had many years of happy holidays in my Nan's holiday bungalow/shack in Oxford road on the island, same road as the then telephone exchange. Don't recognise the island now. Most of the big pubs gone, a new main access road and hundreds of new houses.

44 minutes ago, Canveysteve said:

Sweet thanks all will give it a go n get it off UST to them having a damper / drive plate !

Don't know what the spill chucker has done so don't understand the UST. If you meant "most" than that is totally untrue for sun and planet wheel gearboxes.

Used to was ment to say ! 

Was meant to say I'm used to having damper or drive plates fitted I've never worked on a boat without one and didn't expect the part of the gears come out the gearbox

You live and learn. In days gone by that was very common, it seems to me the drive plate thing came in when the gearboxes changed to more like car boxes and the engines became marinised automotive/industrial units. MY 1991 DV36 does not have a drive plate but it is a proper marine engine.

My uncle Cyril, auntie Nellie and cousins Colin and Margaret lived in a chalet bungalow on stilts in Southwick road Canvey.  Before the big flood we were regularly taken there as kids to visit them. Had a great time playing in the marshy fields between the bungalow and the old earthen sea wall. In the evening we would all walk along the top of it to the funfair near the Haystack pub.  Then of course came the big flood in 1953 when the sea wall broke, they remembered a huge wave coming up Southwick road at 6am, clambered up on the bungalow as high as possible and were rescued by boat.  Another uncle and aunt put them up in Ilford until the council found another house for them in South Benfleet.  They all came round to us in Chadwell Heath to watch the Coronation on our old Ferguson telly. It poured with rain on that day and we couldn't go out to play and had to endure the coronation.   The sea wall on Canvey was of course completely rebuilt and made higher too.  I still have a cousin and his family living on Canvey, Aimland rd on the northern side, near the creek.

Unfortuneately only Lager seems to be sold on the Island.

Edited by bizzard

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is fairly typical for sun & planet wheel gearboxes made by a number of manufacturer's at that time so it is normal. Can't help you with the oil because it all too long ago but I suspect its engine oil but may be gear oil like the similar Lister boxes. I suggest you chat to either Sheridan  Cruisers at Moulsford on Thames or Chertsey Mead Marine, also on the Thames. Just undo the flywheel bolts to get it off but they often were a fairly tight fit on dowles or  a register in the flywheel or that shaft flange. It may need a few taps with a soft hammer.

The funny thing is that originally both the Lister LM and LH150 boxes used engine oil according to my ancient manual. As there are only strait cut spur type gears in the boxes it was ok. A little later they changed the spec to Hypoy gear oil I suppose mainly to improve hydraulic pressure (but that is adjustable anyway) as its thicker of course. And of course the reduction gear always used Hypoy oil because of hellical gears.

Edited by bizzard

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

My uncle Cyril, auntie Nellie and cousins Colin and Margaret lived in a chalet bungalow on stilts in Southwick road Canvey.  Before the big flood we were regularly taken there as kids to visit them. Had a great time playing in the marshy fields between the bungalow and the old earthen sea wall. In the evening we would all walk along the top of it to the funfair near the Haystack pub.  Then of course came the big flood in 1953 when the sea wall broke, they remembered a huge wave coming up Southwick road at 6am, clambered up on the bungalow as high as possible and were rescued by boat.  Another uncle and aunt put them up in Ilford until the council found another house for them in South Benfleet.  They all came round to us in Chadwell Heath to watch the Coronation on our old Ferguson telly. It poured with rain on that day and we couldn't go out to play and had to endure the coronation.   The sea wall on Canvey was of course completely rebuilt and made higher too.  I still have a cousin and his family living on Canvey, Aimland rd on the northern side, near the creek.

Unfortuneately only Lager seems to be sold on the Island.

I also ran aground on Canvey Point in the middle of the night in my old ex P&O conveted ships life boat while on passage from Leigh-On-Sea to ports unknown. I spent a long but most comfortable and lovely intimate night with my girl friend who thought I was clever and infallable ''silly girl thinkin that'' until next day when the pubs opened.

Edited by bizzard

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

The funny thing is that originally both the Lister LM and LH150 boxes used engine oil according to my ancient manual. As there are only strait cut spur type gears in the boxes it was ok. A little later they changed the spec to Hypoy gear oil I suppose mainly to improve hydraulic pressure (but that is adjustable anyway) as its thicker of course. And of course the reduction gear always used Hypoy oil because of hellical gears.

Just found a manual for the box and is stated 20/50 or 50 engine oil ( same as the engine 

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

I also ran aground on Canvey Point in the middle of the night in my old ex P&O conveted ships life boat while on passage from Leigh-On-Sea to ports unknown. I spent a long but most comfortable and lovely intimate night with my girl friend who thought I was clever and infallable ''silly girl thinkin that'' until next day when the pubs opened.

The point is where I'm located now 

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

You live and learn. In days gone by that was very common, it seems to me the drive plate thing came in when the gearboxes changed to more like car boxes and the engines became marinised automotive/industrial units. MY 1991 DV36 does not have a drive plate but it is a proper marine engine.

Ahh ok she is an old pre crosflow approx 69' but with modified bits n bobs , hadn't been run in 20 years to what I was told  , set the point. Clean the carb n after a few turns fires in to life , she over heated pulled the head to find no water ways as full of rust n shite, washed it all out with fresh water ( and alot in the sump?)

Cleaned n draind now runs great bare ages teathing probs , getting between 6-10 mph so not bad on tidal Thames

I think I have a couple of those gearboxes in the unit along with the input shafts. If I can find them, I'll take a picture of the shaft. Then you should have an idea of what you are dealing with

Richard