What's your favourite canal?

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

To me the rivers are vastly better than any of the canals.

That’s better. I should have read that first.

For a Midland’s boy like me the canals were our rivers. That’s really the point of them. In Coventry you struggle to actually find a natural watercourse other than a little brook. Maybe that’s why I get the sense that canals are integral to so many Midland’s towns in a way they don’t quite seem to be elsewhere.

I have no great interest in rivers at all other than the fact I happen to live near one so have to use it for access to canals. I’d never consider using the Severn simply to go cruising.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

Any canal that I have cruised with the exception of the Hatton and even more so the five locks following

Special mention of the South Oxford 'cos its mostly pretty and has unusual lock gear

The North Oxford is boring 'cos it's only got 4 locks

Staffs and Worcester because the late Peter Milward and his lovely wife Lynda who taught me all I know about boating and introduced me to Ted Spash (Beta), Chris Coburn (Lee Sanitation,  Oxfordshire Narrowboats,  the man who rescued the canal system - because he had an Alvis, The "Wing Commander" ( I think he was a squadron leader, but I always promote ex-military folk)  ABC and many, more. The canals for me are about the people who make things happen and rescued the system from total dereliction.... 

Within the rules, the South Oxford and the Ashby.

If we were allowed canals in furrin parts, the Garonne and its branch to Montauban. But we aren't, so I shan't mention that one.

Not sure about the Ashby spent to many hours struggling to get along when we loaded at Gopsall , but it is very rural .

The southern oxford is probably the nicest Midlands Canal . 

When we eventually had a small enough boat the Leeds and Liverpool took some beating.

if rivers were included the upper Thames to Lechlade with those great big bends and engine roaring away, magic.

Personal experience can play a big part.  I've only been down the south oxford once and the wind howled and the rain poured the whole way.  It's made me not want to return.

All my memories of the Llangollen are of glorious sunshine, gorgeous landscapes, amazing historic structures, loads of wildlife.  Lazy, balmy evenings barbecuing on the towpath or relaxing in a drunken haze in beer gardens.  Then Llangollen itself is a real prize at the end, whereas Oxford the town is nice but the moorings are far less so.

What could anyone have against the Llangollen?  I know it gets a bit busy, but there's a good reason for that!

Like Captain Pegg I have a slight preferfence for the narrow canals of the Midlands to broad canals or rivers, although I have cruised most of the connected system over the past 40 odd years.

I don't have any particular favourite. I like them all, rural and urban have their own seperate delights. Some of the removed parts of the BCN, combine both within an hour ot two's cruising, for example the mooring at Chasewater gives the impression of being very remote when in fact it's a stone's throw from the A5 and M6 Toll Road!

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

In no particular order.

Caldon. Am I allowed this? It has a river section.

Staffordshire and Worcestershire.

Chesterfield. Especially the last bit up to the Norwood tunnel east portal.

Ashby.

Montgomery. The connected bit.

Common factors seem to be, more rural (Caldon once you are out of Smoke-on-Stench), narrow beam only, winding route, surrounded by trees and hills. A sense of history still there. Non through route (except Staffs and Worc). Less commonly travelled than other routes nearby (except Staffs and Worcs).

I do like urban boating too. Have done much of the BCN, but the appeal is different and the grot, graffiti, and weed hatch visits are part of that. There isn't the magical atmosphere I've experienced sometimes  on the rural ones in my list.

Jen

We've just 'stepped' onto the Caldon this morning. (Apparently it should have been called the Cauldon Canal (named after the quarry), as it went through an Act of Parliament in 1770s (?), it went through with the 'spelling' mistake).

It seems that almost every canal we join, is the best one so far. We've not gone far but you can just feel the history. Really looking forward to the rest of it :) 

• Happy 2

4 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Not sure about the Ashby spent to many hours struggling to get along when we loaded at Gopsall , but it is very rural .

The southern oxford is probably the nicest Midlands Canal . 

When we eventually had a small enough boat the Leeds and Liverpool took some beating.

if rivers were included the upper Thames to Lechlade with those great big bends and engine roaring away, magic.

Fabulous. Done it plenty of times including last summer and think we are whizzing on there again later this year.

23 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

On the connected England and Wales system.

No rivers.

From the few that I have travelled my Top 5 are...

1. The Llangollen... Pretty much all of the canal is very beautiful, with great countryside and spectacular views (especially the last 10 miles or so) and the 2 stunning aqueducts.

2. The South Stratford... Again attractive countryside, some really interesting buildings and places to visit, nice lock flights, pubs and good mooring in Bancroft Basin to visit Stratford Upon Avon.

3. The Grand Union (Leicester line to Mkt Harborough)... Attractive countryside, easy mooring, that stretch of canal offers long tunnels, staircase locks, locks, swing bridges, pubs and good mooring in Market Harborough.

4. Kennet and Avon Canal (Bath to Devizes)... Stunning countryside and attractive towns between Bath and Bradford on Avon, the Caen Hill Lock Flight, Avoncliffe and Dundas aqueducts. Good Pubs. Lack of good mooring prevents it being higher up the list.

5. Ashby Canal... Attractive rural canal for a relaxing trip (no locks), good mooring and interesting places to visit. Lack of waterside pubs means it ranks lower than others in this list.

3 minutes ago, Montgomery said:

From the few that I have travelled my Top 5 are...

1. The Llangollen... Pretty much all of the canal is very beautiful, with great countryside and spectacular views (especially the last 10 miles or so) and the 2 stunning aqueducts.

2. The South Stratford... Again attractive countryside, some really interesting buildings and places to visit, nice lock flights, pubs and good mooring in Bancroft Basin to visit Stratford Upon Avon.

3. The Grand Union (Leicester line to Mkt Harborough)... Attractive countryside, easy mooring, that stretch of canal offers long tunnels, staircase locks, locks, swing bridges, pubs and good mooring in Market Harborough.

4. Kennet and Avon Canal (Bath to Devizes)... Stunning countryside and attractive towns between Bath and Bradford on Avon, the Caen Hill Lock Flight, Avoncliffe and Dundas aqueducts. Good Pubs. Lack of good mooring prevents it being higher up the list.

5. Ashby Canal... Attractive rural canal for a relaxing trip (no locks), good mooring and interesting places to visit. Lack of waterside pubs means it ranks lower than others in this list.

Whilst I disagree entirely with your list I do love the way you rank them by location of good pubs :cheers:

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Whilst I disagree entirely with your list I do love the way you rank them by location of good pubs :cheers:

I generally like to end my day with a pint or six and possibly some food, so always try to moor close to a pub.... It does affect my ranking if there are a lack of "essential" facilities along the canal! ? Haha.

1 minute ago, Montgomery said:

I generally like to end my day with a pint or six and possibly some food, so always try to moor close to a pub.... It does affect my ranking if there are a lack of "essential" facilities along the canal! ? Haha.

:D  ?

13 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Despite the business I love the Llangollen.  One day I shall spend the winter cruising up and down that canal.

We have had 2 Christmases up there with no leaves on the trees so you can see out over the valleys. Just had a couple of days up there this week. 

• Greenie 1

No-one seems to have mentioned the Shroppie yet - top of my list, atmospheric and love the less used part from Nantwich to Chester

Second for me - South Oxford, love the summit, bend after bend going nowhere in particular

Third Staffs and Worcs especially south of Autherley to Kiddy

Fourth - the vastly underrated Middlewich branch

Fifth - Grand Union, which has some sort of business-like aspect to it which I like. Nicest south of Braunston?

Finally an honourable mention for the BCN, done the challenge a couple of times and the feel of seeming remoteness in an urban area is something I like. Feels like you're really under the skin of the place.....

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Gipsymac said:

No-one seems to have mentioned the Shroppie yet - top of my list, atmospheric and love the less used part from Nantwich to Chester

Second for me - South Oxford, love the summit, bend after bend going nowhere in particular

Third Staffs and Worcs especially south of Autherley to Kiddy

Fourth - the vastly underrated Middlewich branch

Fifth - Grand Union, which has some sort of business-like aspect to it which I like. Nicest south of Braunston?

Finally an honourable mention for the BCN, done the challenge a couple of times and the feel of seeming remoteness in an urban area is something I like. Feels like you're really under the skin of the place.....

What about the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction canal? I can understand some might be a little put off by the straightness of it, but the cuttings and embankments further south (and some of the pubs!) and even the skew bridges give it a real identity of its own in my opinion. Also I don't think it gets much better than Audlem in terms of canalside villages. I would rate this as my favourite, partly because it was the one I always looked forward to cruising most when I was a child!

Edited by Philip

On 09/07/2019 at 18:22, Mike Adams said:

Basingstoke of course -very few boats , no marinas and no CM's and apart from Woking, which is a hideous blot on the Surrey landscape, the most unspoilt you can find.

If you have a boat that is two foot tall, or there about.?

2 hours ago, Gipsymac said:

Absolutely: once one has ticked past the Fenny Endless Moorings, the section to Marston Doles is an ample reward.