What's your favourite canal?

Featured Posts

In descending order (I have only got up north as far as the Caldon...)

Caldon

South Oxford

Trent and Mersey

Grand Union

Gloucester and Sharpness

Staffordshire and Worcestershire

Ashby

South Stafford

Worcester and Birmingham

Kennet and Avon

Droitwich

Coventry

North Oxford

North Stafford

Birmingham and Fazely

Can't really give a definite answer because I like most of them for very different reasons.
If you held a gun to my head I would likely say the Montgomery.

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, billS said:

Caldon

South Oxford

Trent and Mersey

Grand Union

Gloucester and Sharpness

Ashby

South Stafford

Worcester and Birmingham

Kennet and Avon

Droitwich

Coventry

North Oxford

North Stafford

Birmingham and Fazely

The bit east of Cheddleton is nice but not enough to make up for the bad bits.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Rochdale, from Sowerby Bridge to Summit.

"Done" it 4 times and each occasion was different.

The only canal I have fallen in.

You are not supposed to say this here, the "Northern Canals Thought Police"will be having words with you shortly.

.................Dave

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, billS said:

Caldon

South Oxford

Trent and Mersey

Grand Union

Gloucester and Sharpness

Ashby

South Stafford

Worcester and Birmingham

Kennet and Avon

Droitwich

Coventry

North Oxford

North Stafford

Birmingham and Fazely

You’ve opened a couple of new ones there!

The OP chose to exclude rivers which is odd, but several of the canals listed above have river sections which in many/all cases adds the their attraction.

...............Dave

It may be a boring choice but it's hard to go past the Trent and Mersey, simply because it has such variety.

But canals such as the Caldon and the (South) Stratford have great atmosphere, like travelling back in time.

But if I had to spend the rest of my cruising days on one canal it would have to be the Leeds Liverpool, if only for the stretch between Barnoldswick and Skipton.

• Greenie 1

In no particular order.

Caldon. Am I allowed this? It has a river section.

Staffordshire and Worcestershire.

Chesterfield. Especially the last bit up to the Norwood tunnel east portal.

Ashby.

Montgomery. The connected bit.

Common factors seem to be, more rural (Caldon once you are out of Smoke-on-Stench), narrow beam only, winding route, surrounded by trees and hills. A sense of history still there. Non through route (except Staffs and Worc). Less commonly travelled than other routes nearby (except Staffs and Worcs).

I do like urban boating too. Have done much of the BCN, but the appeal is different and the grot, graffiti, and weed hatch visits are part of that. There isn't the magical atmosphere I've experienced sometimes  on the rural ones in my list.

Jen

I would struggle to name one as to a degree it’s the individual locations or areas I like rather than a specific canal.

I’m always drawn to the canals I knew in childhood which is the Oxford and Coventry and unlike many I love cruising the north Oxford.

I’ve always had a fascination with the BCN just from maps at an early age and then cruising the edge of Birmingham - Camp Hill and Garrison - over 35 years ago when it really was quite different from today.

Locally to me the Staffs & Worcs is beautiful and the locks on the Worcs & Bham are superb narrow locks albeit there's maybe a few too many. The Droitwich is a bit odd and when you have to cruise it often it loses a bit of its attraction. Restored canals have a different feel I think. I felt similar about the bit of the K&A I have cruised.

Further afield I’d like to revisit the northern Trent & Mersey which I recall as being more memorable than the Shroppie but the Llangollen doesn’t rank very high on my list of places to visit.

For me the essence of English canals is best represented by the Warwickshire Ring in terms of cruising. If I could make one recommendation to a visitor that would be it.

JP

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I would struggle to name one as to a degree it’s the individual locations or areas I like rather than a specific canal.

I’m always drawn to the canals I knew in childhood which is the Oxford and Coventry and unlike many I love cruising the north Oxford.

I’ve always had a fascination with the BCN just from maps at an early age and then cruising the edge of Birmingham - Camp Hill and Garrison - over 35 years ago when it really was quite different from today.

Locally to me the Staffs & Worcs is beautiful and the locks on the Worcs & Bham are superb narrow locks albeit there's maybe a few too many. The Droitwich is a bit odd and when you have to cruise it often it loses a bit of its attraction. Restored canals have a different feel I think. I felt similar about the bit of the K&A I have cruised.

Further afield I’d like to revisit the northern Trent & Mersey which I recall as being more memorable than the Shroppie but the Llangollen doesn’t rank very high on my list of places to visit.

For me the essence of English canals is best represented by the Warwickshire Ring in terms of cruising. If I could make one recommendation to a visitor that would be it.

JP

Funny how we're all different.  If I could make a recommendation to a visitor on a ring to avoid, it would be the Warwickshire Ring.

Selby.

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Funny how we're all different.  If I could make a recommendation to a visitor on a ring to avoid, it would be the Warwickshire Ring.

Yep we are all different. To me the rivers are vastly better than any of the canals.

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Agreed - it contains all 4 of my least favourite canals (or alternatively 3 of my least favourite canals, and my least favourite bit of the Grand Union).

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Selby.

Yep we are all different. To me the rivers are vastly better than any of the canals.

I think I prefer rivers too.  But I was interested in canals this time.

3 minutes ago, billS said:

Agreed - it contains all 4 of my least favourite canals (or alternatively 3 of my least favourite canals, and my least favourite bit of the Grand Union).

If we all liked the same canal best, just imagine how busy it would get!

Thing is the entire system has very differing things to offer. Some are mostly rural such as the south oxford whereas others are urban. I havnt been on one that I didnt like in its entirety. Funnily enough when this comes up over the years many state they love the ashby which is way way down my list and I usualy avoid it. Ripon is fab but I can no longer do it. Another that peeps love is the Llangollen which is at the very bottom of my list. weird innitt.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thing is the entire system has very differing things to offer. Some are mostly rural such as the south oxford whereas others are urban. I havnt been on one that I didnt like in its entirety. Funnily enough when this comes up over the years many state they love the ashby which is way way down my list and I usualy avoid it. Ripon is fab but I can no longer do it. Another that peeps love is the Llangollen which is at the very bottom of my list. weird innitt.

Now behave. That’s the second time this week I’ve found myself agreeing with you. ? You’ve clearly spent too long outside Yorkshire. ?

It’s not just the Llangollen I agree on, the Ashby too.

JP

• Happy 1