Solar - What's Your Capacity

mark99

Featured Posts

I'm about the same.  We don't have a lot of power demands but I'm always amazed how quick the batteries come up to full charge especially on sunny days.  

A guy came into the marina last week specifically to have panels fitted, and expressed surprise at how few boats in the marina have them.  I replied that these days it's one way of identifying those boats that actually go cruising... 

• Haha 2

500W. Rarely see much more than half of that even on a sunny day, but more than enough to replace the 100Ah I seem to use each day when on board.

From October to March they produce pretty much nothing and I use the genny to keep topped up.

None, I used to have 180 watts but have no need for solar at present. We are full time liveaboards with a plugged in mooring that costs pennies to run. When not plugged in we cruise every day thus charging batteries. I took em off to paint the boat and couldnt be arsed putting them back on. If we ever get another not plugged in mooring then I will whack some on again.

47 minutes ago, peterboat said:

3680 watts its the electric drive thing and all the mod cons in the boat including heating water via the immersion heater, I suspect winter time I should have enough as well not to run the whispergen

Probably enough for everything except hot water.

45 minutes ago, waterdog said:

I know its overkill but we have 1.2Kw, 2 arrays of 2 x 300w panels in series.

As a non live aboard but extensive year round cruiser, I find I can manage pretty well on a quarter of that - and my two slim 150w panels  mean that I can still easily transit the roof.  I find 300w means I can use the engine to do the bulk charge and moor after even a short cruise knowing that the solar will usually take my batteries back to full.  Even in winter it's sufficient to ensure that the batteries are always maintained at float (or slightly lower storage) voltage when the boat is not in use. Of course 300w wouldn't be sufficient for those with a more demanding usage pattern.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

It's not just winter that a genny is useful.  When it's 30 degrees and blazing sun, I go and find the deepest darkest shady mooring. 

A tunnel?

Might cause problems, especially if it's a narrow one. ?

2 x 100W panels mounted horizontally, with a Tracer 20A MPPT controller.  Seen 12 amps maximum.  However the controller drops in to float before the batteries are fully charged, even though the controller thinks they are.

I need to get some more information, but will no doubt be back asking about this!

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As a non live aboard but extensive year round cruiser, I find I can manage pretty well on a quarter of that - and my two slim 150w panels  mean that I can still easily transit the roof.  I find 300w means I can use the engine to do the bulk charge and moor after even a short cruise knowing that the solar will usually take my batteries back to full.  Even in winter it's sufficient to ensure that the batteries are always maintained at float (or slightly lower storage) voltage when the boat is not in use. Of course 300w wouldn't be sufficient for those with a more demanding usage pattern.

Horses for courses I suppose, everyone's power demands are going to be different. We are pretty power hungry liveaboards, currently moored up on the north oxford with 240v fridge, a separate freezer, tv, digibox, satdome, phone and tablet on charge all via the inverter, and according to the mastervolt panel the solar is producing more than we are using :)

600w, gets me back up to 98% most days and occasionally 100% (especially when I'm not there). Keeps the fridge going if I go away for a couple days in summer so saves having to run that down and clear it out. I wonder how much more I'd need to live the same in the winter... it's not about maximum power, its about minimum! 

2 minutes ago, Johny London said:

I wonder how much more I'd need to live the same in the winter... it's not about maximum power, its about minimum! 

Agreed, this is why we went for such a large array, hopefully it will still give something over  winter, or at least minimise the period where it will produce nothing. At the moment we can stop for days and not have to run the engine, hopefully it will reduce engine hours on the shorter days too as we head into and out of winter

Hi Mark.

Nominal 480W, tilting + MPPT.

As I think MtB succinctly commented recently, whatever you have, it will be often be too much in the summer and not enough in the winter?

I find that any extra that you can manage buys you contentment on really dull days when the cloud is 30,000 feet thick, or when shadows conspire against you, or when the earth inconsiderately tilts its self away from the sun?

Also, although tilting panels are aesthetically challenging and not really appropriate for your fine vessel, they do help to grab useful electrons (photons?) early morning and late evening, assuming you have moored on an appropriate heading and in an solar friendly location?

I have 380 watts and a 40A tracer MPPT controller.

No idea what it will run but most mornings when sunny reading 14-15 volts.

I'm Marina based and so plugged in to shore power.

I have a 12 volt under counter fridge and separate 12 volt under counter freezer, which are my boats main power usage items. 12 volt TV. LED lights. pump etc.

Batteries 4 x Trojan T105's One pair very old like 5 years other pair 18 months old.

Must get out soon and try it out!

James

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Usually 540w but currently 100w of that is up on the Rochdale keeping a trapped hysteric happy.

He's not trapped anymore. Or if he is, he isn't trapped where he was!

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Usually 540w but currently 100w of that is up on the Rochdale keeping a trapped hysteric happy.

He's not trapped anymore. Or if he is, he isn't trapped where he was!

525watts ... mppt controller .... 6 x t105's , I also cruise most days through the season, but also have a home mooring with leccy, very power hungry, 12v fridge and seperate 12 volt freezer,2 large 240v led tv's kodi boxes, dvr and office with pc, 24" led screen and laser printer ...

Rick