Compton pub

cornishdave

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I've been looking at our plans for our summer trip and have a very quick query...

I'm looking for a pub about an hour away from Autherley Junction (in any direction really), looking at maybe Compton - there seems to be a few choices such as the Swan, Oddfellows, Newbridge etc.

Ideally we just want a pub serving good (not necessarily posh) pub grub with decent/quiet moorings.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Dave

Just now, Sea Dog said:

How's about a few very decent beers in the Swan and some very decent fish and chips on the way back to the boat? I've always found all the moorings at Compton peaceful enough.

No. Instead, how about some fish and chips on arrival followed by many very decent beers in the Swan?

25 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

No. Instead, how about some fish and chips on arrival followed by many very decent beers in the Swan?

I like your thinking ?

Yeah I did consider the chippy, but for various reasons there's a good chance we'll be having fish and chips a couple of days before that anyway and don't want to repeat.

Certainly an option if plans change though, thanks.

1 minute ago, cornishdave said:

I like your thinking ?

Yeah I did consider the chippy, but for various reasons there's a good chance we'll be having fish and chips a couple of days before that anyway and don't want to repeat.

There’s a Chinese takeaway as well (IIRC). There’s a big eating pub next to the canal but it’s a very run of the mill chain type place.

JP

29 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Ooh, steady on JP, you're not seriously trying to tell us you can have a few in the Swan and not want some fish and chips when you walk past the shop afterwards? :rolleyes:

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Ooh, steady on JP, you're not seriously trying to tell us you can have a few in the Swan and not want some fish and chips when you walk past the shop afterwards? :rolleyes:

No I’m not, but I know that’s getting the liquids and solids the wrong way round for safety’s sake.

7 hours ago, cornishdave said:

I like your thinking ?

The likelihood of repeating fish and chips, or chinese, for that matter, can be considerably aided by the abundant repeating of beers.

2 hours ago, DandV said:

The likelihood of repeating fish and chips, or chinese, for that matter, can be considerably aided by the abundant repeating of beers.

So take some ranitidine (Zantac) before you go out.

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

One quick follow up question for those that know the area though...

There's a winding point just above lock 29 (Wightwick Lock), but on Google Earth it looks a bit tight - will I be able to turn a 70' boat there?

Many thanks

Dave

2 hours ago, cornishdave said:

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

One quick follow up question for those that know the area though...

There's a winding point just above lock 29 (Wightwick Lock), but on Google Earth it looks a bit tight - will I be able to turn a 70' boat there?

Many thanks

Dave

Canalplan doesn't show it as a restricted winding hole. It doesn't look overgrown from the satellite photos but I guess it could be slightly silted up.