Canal for sale

Clodi

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

- what will be £200,000 be worth in 700 years (Nowt !!!) so you will need to right off the Capital.

If you right it off, does that mean there will be none left...?

:giggles:

• Horror 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Spooly Chukka again !!!!!

WRITE IT OFF

Lol!

Actually the first question that popped into MY mind that no-one has mentioned yet, was what did this geezer pay for it 15 years go? 

I bey it was a tonne less than £200k, unless it was him granted the long lease to BW/CRT. 

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

"Evidence for the Romans building the waterway includes a statue of the god Mars which was recovered from the water near Torksey in 1774 and is now on display in the British Museum."

Perhaps it's just me, but if the Romans were going to chuck a statue of a god into the canal, wouldn't it have been Neptune? 

The fact that it was chucked in by somebody at some date before 1774 is somewhat inconclusive, methinks.

Perhaps Mars, being the Roman God of War, tturned up to intervene when there was a dispute between a speeding widebeam and someone overstaying and moored with a centre line. That little lot ought to be sufficient for at least a medium scale conflict which could easy result in an immersion. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Spend £200K of their capital in order to save £9.5K expenditure per annum?  I'd be very surprised.

I wasn’t thinking from that angle, more an opportunity to expand. 

And being a charity, couldn’t CRT rather than use their capital, raise funds from wherever? 

Maybe they already have? 

Edited by Goliath
added a comma

20 minutes ago, Goliath said:

And being a charity, couldn’t CRT rather than use their capital, raise funds from wherever? 

Maybe they already have? 

They have been trying but woefully failed.

The funding from DEFRA is reliant on several Key Performance Indicators and only by some very inventive measuring have C&RT been able to retain the funding - the figures of something like 1,000,000 visits per day to the canals being one of them.

Their costs of raising 'Charitable Income' is exceeding their 'Charitable income' :

Voluntary income was £3.4m last year. Expenditure raising that income was £3.9m. Loss £500,000. 

Their cumulative loss for 'Charitable Income' over the last 6 years is £5,500,000.

If they hadn't tried to raise an income they would have been better off by £5.5m.

The target for 'friends' is years behind target.

The number of days the canals are 'closed' is way over target

All of the figures are available in their accounts.

On 08/07/2019 at 19:45, WotEver said:

So if you bought it and put your own unlicensed boat on it and never moved, could CaRT S8 it?

I reckon probably yes. It depends on the terms of their lease, but my guess would be that somewhere in there will be a clause allowing CRT to apply their licence fees subject to the same laws as their own canals. Leases normally delegate all sorts of rights to the tenant.

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

If anyone here is disappointed to have missed out, I have another opportunity for you. I am offering the Kennet and Avon Canal for sale for £250k.

Or £200k cash in a Tesco carrier bag for a quick sale. PM me for details of where to leave the money. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If anyone here is disappointed to have missed out, I have another opportunity for you. I am offering the Kennet and Avon Canal for sale for £250k.

Or £200k cash in a Tesco carrier bag for a quick sale. PM me for details of where to leave the money. 

Is that after the squatters have been removed, or with 'sitting tenants' ?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that after the squatters have been removed, or with 'sitting tenants' ?

Aha, a live one!! 

Whichever you prefer Alan. I'll get rid of the sitting tenants once I've picked up the cash.....

Possibly......