What,s changed on the cut ?

jacko264

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Strange.  We always thank them for drawing in their poles and almost always get a cheery greeting.

We always thank them too. It becomes a bit repetitive when passing a fishing match. After the first dozen or so thank you’s you have to mix it up a bit.

15 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

You can pretty much guarantee a friendly greeting from hire boats but private boats - some folk look as miserable as sin and others don't make eye contact at all.  

There’s certainly a few very miserable people out there. I would suggest it’s when a couple have sold the house to live the dream but it’s proved a bit of a nightmare instead

11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

PS what's changed over the last 30 years is that there are more people about. That's all, really. 

Nah, no more Mr Nice Guy. I'll bring the blasted banjo. That'll clear me a mooring space fast enough. And if that fails it's accordion time... 

Don't believe him, his banjo and accordian playing is just fine, spent many happy hours listening to Arthur at the folk club and at Macclesfield marina. Never heard the trombone though. We had some good times there until it was spoilt.

12 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

PS what's changed over the last 30 years is that there are more people about. That's all, really. 

Nah, no more Mr Nice Guy. I'll bring the blasted banjo. That'll clear me a mooring space fast enough. And if that fails it's accordion time... 

And if that still fails I'll join you with my Northumbrian Pipes

Its very busy ont Toxford today lotsa boats passing our mooring. We are going off for a coupla days beering in Banbury so it will be fun mixing with the hirers and hobbyists. I will see if its changed much in the last two weeks since we went twoxford :D

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

Strange.  We always thank them for drawing in their poles and almost always get a cheery greeting.

Must admit we don't usually find fishermen to be unpleasant when moving the boat. I have had a couple of run ins with fishremen (one got quite nasty) but on those occasions I was a pedestrian/cyclist. 

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I can’t think of the last time we had an issue with a boat speeding past when we were moored. Perhaps because we take trouble to tie up properly!

The main thing I find to have changed is the increasing number of people who blank you when you give them a cheery wave on passing. Still doesn’t happen a lot, but it used never to happen.

"Centre rope" moorers are the worst for moaning. Their boat tilts to about 30 degrees when someone passes and they wonder why!

13 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Thanks goodness, I was beginning to think it was just me.  You can pretty much guarantee a friendly greeting from hire boats but private boats - some folk look as miserable as sin and others don't make eye contact at all.  

One thing that hasn't changed over the years is surly fishermen.  I have pretty given up with them especially the long pole brigade.   

Met some very chatty fishermen this trip. Met 20 hire boats today alone and not one was speeding, all happy and waving, the only boater to blank me was the one that put me on the mud, he was on an ex Challenger boat

7 hours ago, Heartland said:

On some navigations, like the Warwickshire Avon it is a case of dodge the car.......

..... or was the flood THAT HIGH!

A-avn4 022.jpg

Is that a plastic pig? I wasn't aware they made their nests in trees!