What,s changed on the cut ?

jacko264

Featured Posts

Hi all long time 

This year we did the Warwick ring and two things seem  to stand out this year  to us 

no 1 people seem to love parking on tight corners   

no. 2 people seem to love shouting slow down  from private  boats even when we where on tick over 

the funny thing is that the boats that speeded past us where private owned boats not hire boats

Apart from this we had a fantastic two weeks holiday and look forward to next time 

jacko

3 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Hi all long time 

This year we did the Warwick ring and two things seem  to stand out this year  to us 

no 1 people seem to love parking on tight corners   

no. 2 people seem to love shouting slow down  from private  boats even when we where on tick over 

the funny thing is that the boats that speeded past us where private owned boats not hire boats

Apart from this we had a fantastic two weeks holiday and look forward to next time 

jacko

It was ever thus.

Don't get me started on share boats!

Some of the most pleasant and considerate boaters are hirers I have found recently, whereas over the years the others, owners and shares have become evil or hateful.

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

I used to be nice till I bought the boat. Now I drive it either like a maniac with a two foot wash or dawdle and won't let anyone pass. Then I hog the best moorings while I go off on holiday and at the same time have to stick around the middle of town so my kids can go to school and I can claim my benefits, while yelling at everyone else to slow down. Luckily, there's loads of room on the towpath for my old cooker and washing machine and my rottweiler has only bitten three kids and a fisherplonker so far. CRT don't know I haven't got a licence because I painted someone else's number on the boat and who cares anyway? The "rules" have no basis in law. I know my rights. 

And as for share boats, bloody hell, I could tell you a thing or two. 

You'll be telling us you practice your trombone on it next!

:D

PS what's changed over the last 30 years is that there are more people about. That's all, really. 

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You'll be telling us you practice your trombone on it next!

:D

Nah, no more Mr Nice Guy. I'll bring the blasted banjo. That'll clear me a mooring space fast enough. And if that fails it's accordion time... 

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 2

44 minutes ago, hider said:

Don't get me started on share boats!

Some of the most pleasant and considerate boaters are hirers I have found recently, whereas over the years the others, owners and shares have become evil or hateful.

Nobody mentioned share boaters until you did.

And anyway how would you know about what’s happened over the years cos obviously you’re a complete generation younger than Boater Sam. ?

36 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

PS what's changed over the last 30 years is that there are more people about. That's all, really. 

Nah, no more Mr Nice Guy. I'll bring the blasted banjo. That'll clear me a mooring space fast enough. And if that fails it's accordion time... 

A gentleman: one who can play an accordion,  but doesn't." :)

8 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Arthur, I'll come and listen to your banjo if it means I can save everyone else from your accordion...! ;)

(I rather like a well-played accordion actually - my Grandad had the gift)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Arthur, I'll come and listen to your banjo if it means I can save everyone else from your accordion...! ;)

(I rather like a well-played accordion actually - my Grandad had the gift)

A well played accordion is fine. The trouble is , so few are, probably including mine these days, as I have now achieved gentlemanly status according to a post above. 

We can't go out as often or for as long as we'd like because himself still works fulltime.

But when we do head off for two or three weeks, I find it all enchanting! People are fascinating, we can usually stop round about where we'd planned to and often meet up with terrific neighbours, voluntary lock keepers are lovely, the boats we meet at locks (95% of the time) work as a team to help boats through, pedestrians hail us with admiring comments, fishermen grunt a hello, he's not had to go down the weed hatch (except for a regular check every couple of days), some boats do pass a bit speedily but since we tend to use a spring line and we've got a glass or two in our hands it hardly bothers us and, touch wood and whistle, we've never once been subjected to any nastiness day or night.

It's not rose coloured spectacles. It really is like that up around us. And, of course, we tend to know a huge number of the boats we see which makes for a fun "spot your pals" game!

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, Jo_ said:

We can't go out as often or for as long as we'd like because himself still works fulltime.

But when we do head off for two or three weeks, I find it all enchanting! People are fascinating, we can usually stop round about where we'd planned to and often meet up with terrific neighbours, voluntary lock keepers are lovely, the boats we meet at locks (95% of the time) work as a team to help boats through, pedestrians hail us with admiring comments, fishermen grunt a hello, he's not had to go down the weed hatch (except for a regular check every couple of days), some boats do pass a bit speedily but since we tend to use a spring line and we've got a glass or two in our hands it hardly bothers us and, touch wood and whistle, we've never once been subjected to any nastiness day or night.

It's not rose coloured spectacles. It really is like that up around us. And, of course, we tend to know a huge number of the boats we see which makes for a fun "spot your pals" game!

So much of what you get from others is a reflection of yourself Jo.  There's an odd 'un now and again, sure, but mostly it seems to me that nice folk keep meeting nice folk and some other folk keep meeting, erm, others!  :D

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So much of what you get from others is a reflection of yourself Jo.  There's an odd 'un now and again, sure, but mostly it seems to me that nice folk keep meeting nice folk and some other folk keep meeting, erm, others!  :D

Even the Bible agrees with you :

"A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal happiness".

• Greenie 1

I can’t think of the last time we had an issue with a boat speeding past when we were moored. Perhaps because we take trouble to tie up properly!

The main thing I find to have changed is the increasing number of people who blank you when you give them a cheery wave on passing. Still doesn’t happen a lot, but it used never to happen.

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I can’t think of the last time we had an issue with a boat speeding past when we were moored. Perhaps because we take trouble to tie up properly!

The main thing I find to have changed is the increasing number of people who blank you when you give them a cheery wave on passing. Still doesn’t happen a lot, but it used never to happen.

Thanks goodness, I was beginning to think it was just me.  You can pretty much guarantee a friendly greeting from hire boats but private boats - some folk look as miserable as sin and others don't make eye contact at all.  

One thing that hasn't changed over the years is surly fishermen.  I have pretty given up with them especially the long pole brigade.   

2 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

One thing that hasn't changed over the years is surly fishermen.  I have pretty given up with them especially the long pole brigade.   

Strange.  We always thank them for drawing in their poles and almost always get a cheery greeting.