Moorings in Market Harborough & Leicester

Nick D

Featured Posts

We are currently travelling northwards on the GU Leicester arm.  I’m tempted  to take a detour into Market Harborough where Nicholson’s says there are plentiful mornings plus electric hook up. Anyone able to confirm this?

Later, we will be travelling through Leicester.  Anyone able to give advice/comment on the moorings in the City?

Thanks

Not the case. Very restricted at mh. Have several times tried and failed, returning to foxton. As for leicester i have never stopped there apart from when stuck on a safe, got mattress on prop, wait for police divers etc kind of stuff. However having worked there that was sufficient to prevent me tying up there. A lot of knowledge is a bad thing. Ive heard it has improved, but so has north korea.

someone will come along say its wonderful and they holiday there every year in a minute.

5 minutes ago, Nick D said:

So who do you pay and how much are we talking?

From memory Union Wharf Narrowboats and it was £6 a night

Moorings are on the top side of the basin next to where it says Union Wharf Narrowboats at this pin on google maps
https://maps.app.goo.gl/chNDxEkQtKkL1noF8

There is only one free mooring hence people cant find moorings there ;)

Edited by Loddon

Has it changed then ? October last year, there was space for about five boats outside the basin, and had been on previous visit. They charged between £10 and £15 for a hook up mooring in union wharf if there was a boat out, which there usually was, but best to ring ahead, or moor outside of basin and walk into office on their change over days, I think it was only manned on a Friday and Saturday. Excellent place to go to, and the little pub at Foxton locks has some friendly people if you have a chat.There is a few nice moorings in the country on the way down, but no pubs once out of Foxton vicinity b4 you get to Mh. There are also a couple of moorings b4 you reach the last bit with a short cut to town, you will find somewhere, and we never had a problem, but we wintered there a couple of years ago and was there last October. We also had no problems in Leicester.

29 minutes ago, Timx said:

Has it changed then ? October last year, there was space for about five boats outside the basin, and had been on previous visit.

Not changed as far as I know but moorings outside were full whenever we were there.

As a caveat i would add we could not moor other than on the  five moorings mentioned. We tried slightly out of town near the old wharf,  but having a boat with draft the stern end was blocking the channel.

Harborough is indeed a fine town, we have managed to overnight once in  the last 3 attempts, to visit. 

We now cycle in to town from foxton for banks food etc, as the leicester has few facilities.

i took my first boat down it in 1980 and ran out of food rapidly. No fridge and no shops.

When we traveled down to Market Harborough we didn't have any problem finding a mooring outside the basin for us or the other boat traveling with us. There were also spaces in the basin at that time as all the hire boats were out.

And to add the boat we were traveling with was a converted old working boat so deep drafted.

Edited by Rob-M
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Timx said:

Has it changed then ? October last year, there was space for about five boats outside the basin, and had been on previous visit. They charged between £10 and £15 for a hook up mooring in union wharf if there was a boat out, which there usually was, but best to ring ahead, or moor outside of basin and walk into office on their change over days, I think it was only manned on a Friday and Saturday. Excellent place to go to, and the little pub at Foxton locks has some friendly people if you have a chat.There is a few nice moorings in the country on the way down, but no pubs once out of Foxton vicinity b4 you get to Mh. There are also a couple of moorings b4 you reach the last bit with a short cut to town, you will find somewhere, and we never had a problem, but we wintered there a couple of years ago and was there last October. We also had no problems in Leicester.

I think The Black Horse is the last now, the other I think became a takeaway

At the weekend after Crick recently we easily got a spot on the 48hr moorings outside the basin in MH. Handy water points all along the towpath there, and shower / toilet / elsan round the other side of the basin. Also plenty of space on the basin pontoons with hook up for I think £8 per night. 

Leicester - recommended places were Castle Gardens before West Bridge or Friars Mill slightly further north. But with only 4 spots at each we couldn't get on either arriving at lunchtime, so carried on to Mountsorrel.