Apparently there's a race on

magictime

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

But it also demonstrates that ‘Donkey’s Years’ predates ‘Donkey’s Ears’:

'Donkey's ears' wasn't used until well after the date that 'donkey’s years' had become established in the language

A Cockney (in fact, a Southerner from almost anywhere) would simply say “Donkey’s” and wouldn’t usually bother with “years”, let alone “ears”. 

wow, someone actually read it properly! 

15 hours ago, Jerra said:

Well having read it it makes it clear that for a number of reasons it isn't cockney rhyming slang.   One being it was in existance 100 years before it was fist recorded in cockney slang.

Read it again.  It makes it clear that for a number of reasons 'Donkey's Years isn't Cockney rhyming slang'.  I'd agree with that and for all the reasons given.

On 07/07/2019 at 21:27, Arthur Marshall said:

I have often wondered if the shallowness of the canal means that the boat in front moves the water in some way to speed up a following boat - a sort of aquatic slipstreaming. As I've said, I can't really go faster than 3mph and don't often quite do that, but time and time again I find myself catching boats up, even when I've gone down to tickover. They can't all be doing 2mph.

I used to get worked up about it, now I pull up as long as there's no-one catching ME up and have a brew. Then it takes another half hour to catch them up again. 

Certainly not once they are ,aongside - just the opposite such that with careful but invisible adjustment of the throttle they can be stuck alongside almost indefinitely!

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Certainly not once they are ,aongside - just the opposite such that with careful but invisible adjustment of the throttle they can be stuck alongside almost indefinitely!

That happened on the Trent, in a lock cut.  Guy in huge cruiser thought he would overtake that 'coal barge'.  Both of us going flat out.  He was much faster than me, but he couldn't get past.  Great hole in the water where we were both sucking it out.