Apparently there's a race on

magictime

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Umm... I think that should read ‘fast’. Speedos generally over-estimate your speed. It helps the mpg figures too. 

You are correct, my speedometer overreads relative to GP'S.

15 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I think he's right. For a given road speed the bigger wheel will be turning slower. 

We are both correct in that a bigger circumstance wheel will turn more slowly but I was wrong when I said my speedometer read slow, it should have read fast.

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

My dad had such a Bluebird for donkey's years.

My New Year's resolution was to stop being a pedant.

The expression was originally "Donkey's Ears" as in "As long as ……."

Still I succeeded with the other one "To Stop Boozing" … so there's always next year.

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

You are correct, my speedometer overreads relative to GP'S.

We are both correct in that a bigger circumstance wheel will turn more slowly but I was wrong when I said my speedometer read slow, it should have read fast.

When your car is doing 90mph ground speed, your speedo will read (say) 85 because the wheel is turning slower than expected

I'd say it was reading slow because it is the ground speed you will get your ticket for

Richard

On 08/07/2019 at 08:57, Neil2 said:

Sorry, can you explain that..?   I use a dedicated GPS and if it displays 4mph then I assume my actual speed over ground is 4mph.  

The GPS app on my phone sometimes displays steady credible  speeds, andsometimes it is jumping all over the place - one minute it say 1.8mph, the next 6mph. I assume its something to do with rhe quality of the GPS signal, and I guess a free app doesn't use a very sophisticated speed algorithm.

But I have noticed the total trip distance recorded is always quite a bit more than the route length given in canal guides or canalplan. So I'm guessing it overreads distances and hence displays higher speeds than I am actually doing.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The GPS app on my phone sometimes displays steady credible  speeds, andsometimes it is jumping all over the place - one minute it say 1.8mph, the next 6mph. I assume its something to do with rhe quality of the GPS signal, and I guess a free app doesn't use a very sophisticated speed algorithm.

But I have noticed the total trip distance recorded is always quite a bit more than the route length given in canal guides or canalplan. So I'm guessing it overreads distances and hence displays higher speeds than I am actually doing.

I use one of these Free Apps called Waze , I own a small fleet of Commercial Vehicles and the Sat Navs were constantly being stolen , with this App the Driver simply downloads onto his Smartphone . With these New Smart Motorways the Country is littered with 50mph Speed Limits due to the upgrading work and from experience there is as much as a 5mph discrepancy between the Indicated on the Dashboard Speed and the Waze Indicated GPS Speed . We simply set the Cruise Control at 55mph and to date haven't had a single Prosecution in 5 years .

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My last Merc used to be about 10% high too, but this current one is almost spot on so when (if) it tells me I am speeding, I really am! There is only a tiny error margin built in.

That is assuming the GPS app in my phone is accurate, which I suspect it is, but have no way of knowing other than by all the speeding tickets not dropping through my door....

Knowing your luck with measuring instrumentation it is probably put of calibration. ?

6 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

We simply set the Cruise Control at 55mph and to date haven't had a single Prosecution in 5 years .

I'd say that is because everyone else is going at 46pmh and holds you up!

28 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Still I succeeded with the other one "To Stop Boozing" … so there's always next year.

Yes they change over the years (ears?)
Another one is "Give them an inch and they take a mile."
The original was "Give them an inch and they take an ell." (I seem to recall that an "ell" is the length of a human arm or something similar.)

20 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I've always thought the nicholson guides were inaccurate, even before GPS they always seemed to me to be too short, so the fact that GPS gives higher readings makes sense to me.  But the hand held devices behave erratically in deep cuttings and heavily wooded sections and I don't know what effect that has.    

57 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Sorry to be a pedant, but I think you're wrong.  https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/donkeys-years.html

Donkey's Ears is simply cockney rhyming slang for years.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

No.  You read it again.

Well having read it it makes it clear that for a number of reasons it isn't cockney rhyming slang.   One being it was in existance 100 years before it was fist recorded in cockney slang.

28 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Well having read it it makes it clear that for a number of reasons it isn't cockney rhyming slang.   One being it was in existance 100 years before it was fist recorded in cockney slang.

But it also demonstrates that ‘Donkey’s Years’ predates ‘Donkey’s Ears’:

'Donkey's ears' wasn't used until well after the date that 'donkey’s years' had become established in the language

A Cockney (in fact, a Southerner from almost anywhere) would simply say “Donkey’s” and wouldn’t usually bother with “years”, let alone “ears”. 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say that is because everyone else is going at 46pmh and holds you up!

Interesting Mike that you mentioned Mercedes , these are all Mercedes Vehicles too but alas with a slight discrepancy

10 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Don't lets go on about this until the cows come ome.

Or as Groucho said: "I could dance with you till the cows come home. Better still, I'll dance with the cows and you come home."

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

A Cockney (in fact, a Southerner from almost anywhere) would simply say “Donkey’s” and wouldn’t usually bother with “years”, let alone “ears”. 

So would a northerner at least it has been in use all my life up here.

Edited by Jerra

53 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Precisely my point.

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So would a northerner at least it has been in use all my life up here.

Aye we often say just "donkey's"
As in "I 'aven't seen 'im for donkey's."

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

It happens because there's a common assumption that walking pace is 4mph.  To maintain 4mph while walking is almost speed-walking.  A typical good brisk walking pace is about 3mph, maybe a touch over.  On the canals people typically stroll rather than walk and will be doing about 2-2.5mph.  So a boater who is overtaking walkers assumes they must be doing at least 4mph, when in fact that speed is virtually unobtainable in a narrowboat on many canals.

Agreed. I can relate to this.

For the last 7 years or so I've been doing a brisk walk of about 30 minutes most days when I'm not on the boat. The app Runkeeper tracks these for me and I can see that most of my walks tend to be between 3.3 and 3.5mph. At that pace it is virtually unheard of for me to get overtaken by anyone and I normally overtake everyone I encounter walking in the same direction. I very much doubt I have ever seen a narrowboat going so fast on a canal that I wouldn't be able to overtake it at my normal brisk walking pace.

I have intentionally done 4mph walks (definitely faster than anything I've ever seen on a canal*) but after the first 15 minutes or so I find it difficult to keep up that pace without getting a bit out of breath.

I don't try to do my normal brisk walking pace on a grassy towpath though, that's much tougher and potentially more dangerous than on a pavement or road.  Runkeeper normally tracks me at 2 to 2.5mph when I'm walking fairly briskly along a towpath. Even at that speed I'm normally as fast as, or faster than, most boats I encounter.

* I'm not saying that it never happens, only that I don't think I've ever seen it, even with boats that look to me to be getting a bit of a move on.

I don't really care how many ears or what size the donkey has, I was really wanting to brag that I've been alcohol free for 1 year, I month, 2 weeks, 5 days, 22 hours ….. more or less. 

And I'm not missing it at all.

In fact I'd love to tell everyone that I feel so much better for it, except it would be a lie.

I urge you all to have nothing but pity for toe-teetlers, when they wake up in the morning they know that's the best they're going to feel all day! ?

General Quotes on Drinking from Frank Sinatra
Sinatra was always ready with a brilliant one-liner. A few of those centered on everyone’s favourite topic: booze. Here are a few of our favourite quips.

“I feel sorry for people that don't drink because when they wake up in the morning, that is the best they’re going to feel all day.”
“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”
“Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night—be it prayer, tranquilisers or a bottle of Jack Daniel's.”