Best Insulation for Bow Thuster Compartment.

Featured Posts

Success. I have left the bow thruster compartment open to the elements when not cruising and there is no condensation in there. The increased ventilation is keeping it dry.

Also looked at why the bow thruster wasnt working. The motor had siezed up. New motor £££'s, so asked Cox Automotive to have a look at it. They have freed  off and reconditioned the motor (new bearings, brushes, contactors and solenoid, plus a quick coat of grey paint) for about £380.

Got it home, still wouldnt work, solenoid chattering, but battery OK. Found the battery isolator was dropping 2 volts. Replaced with a new one and all works. ?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

No, it was a Durite one as in the picture, but corroded due to the damp environment.

20200111_150701.jpg

Ahh, yeah, those are usually quite good. Maybe time for one of those sealed Blue Sea jobs?

https://www.bluesea.com/products/9003e/e-Series_On_Off_Battery_Switch

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Ahh, yeah, those are usually quite good. Maybe time for one of those sealed Blue Sea jobs?

https://www.bluesea.com/products/9003e/e-Series_On_Off_Battery_Switch

Too late, I've already replaced it with another Durite.

The last one lasted 12 years (or maybe 9 coz the bowthruster stopped working 3 years ago) ?, so this one should last as long or longer now that I know how to stop the condensation.

• Happy 1

On 21/02/2020 at 19:28, cuthound said:

Too late, I've already replaced it with another Durite.

The last one lasted 12 years (or maybe 9 coz the bowthruster stopped working 3 years ago) ?, so this one should last as long or longer now that I know how to stop the condensation.

Have you thought about installing vents to permanently increase ventilation? 

Edited by MHS

10 hours ago, MHS said:

Have you thought about installing vents to permanently increase ventilation? 

The BT compartment cover is the bottom of the bow locker and already has a couple of vents at the battery end to vent gases.

I'm considering replacing the phenolyic ply BT cover and bow locker top with slatted deckboards in the winter to improve ventilation.

On 08/07/2019 at 17:29, cuthound said:

Blimey, still no responses. Looks like I've  got the forum stumped. ?

Looking at your pictures, the amount of rust I’m seeing is relatively insignificant, IMHO.

If you gave it the 6 coats of paint that a bilge space deserves, ( all of the bottom, and a few inches up the sides), my guess would be that many many years would pass before you saw any similar rust, or anything to concern you.

Until you have cured the water ingress issue, you could add a quick pump out every couple of months to your preventative maintenance programme, (I say that like I’ve got one :) ). A wet and dry vacuum, Pena pump, similar?

37 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Looking at your pictures, the amount of rust I’m seeing is relatively insignificant, IMHO.

If you gave it the 6 coats of paint that a bilge space deserves, ( all of the bottom, and a few inches up the sides), my guess would be that many many years would pass before you saw any similar rust, or anything to concern you.

Until you have cured the water ingress issue, you could add a quick pump out every couple of months to your preventative maintenance programme, (I say that like I’ve got one :) ). A wet and dry vacuum, Pena pump, similar?

Yes the rust in the BT compartment  is superficial and only present whwre the paint is breaking down

One of this Summer's jobs is to to repaint the BT compartment with bilge pump.

In the past I removed the water in Spring with a wet vac. Usually about 15 litres of condensation ?.

If you look at the photo carefully you can see where the wet vac sucked the top coat off the weedhatch lid! Numatic George wet vacs are very powerful ?

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My weedhatch lid looks to be a permanent fixture, marine ply [rather thin imho], held down with something that looks a though it has not moved for years, should I put some oil on it for a few days, then tap it with a big hammer?

Pictures please.

Are you sure it's not a piece of ply on top of the steel cover that I would expect to be there?