Does nobody take any notice of the 48hr restrictions?

Johny London

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Perhaps the hirers have had to unexpectedly curtail their holiday? ?

Not at all unknown for hirers to decide they made a mistake booking a canal holiday and just abandon the boat somewhere near public transport, leaving the hire company a) to realise what’s happened and b) recover the boat.

It is possible. But thew boat's home port is well over 10 mils from Cropredy, even as the crow flies. Anyway, one would have thought that it would be needed to fulfil further bookings.

3 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

You have to obey laws but " rules " are voluntary or contractual.

So it depends which one of these the mooring time restrictions are .

There is no penalty for overstaying on a 24 hr mooring up to 14 days so it must be a " rule" . 

We have one near us that says " 2 days free mooring" but CRT are unable to explain what that means since there are no morning charges for towpath visitor moorings by law. 

Tell that to the long term CRT towpath moorings all over the place. Tell that to the llangollen moorings. Then stop talking bollocks, if you'll pardon the phrase. 

2 hours ago, Athy said:

It is possible. But thew boat's home port is well over 10 mils from Cropredy, even as the crow flies. Anyway, one would have thought that it would be needed to fulfil further bookings.

Have you informed the hire base of its location?

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

I rarely stay on 24, 48 or 14 day moorings longer then one night, unless the weather is forecast to be grim.

I prefer boating to staying put. Surely I'm not alone on this?

You are not a loan 118 118. We very rarely use such timed moorings as they are invariably in a " Place " so we use them for shopping stops etc. However tomoz we have decided to nip up to Banbury for beer and food in the evening so will stay in the town overnight. They are good and safe moorings and very quiet late at night especialy mid week. Other than such important beer trips then we usualy moor out in the sticks. A little ditty though to show how ones views change as ya get older, I sometimes think it would be safer near a road bridge in case I have a heart attack or somett cos yers add it miles out on the south Oxford for instance int middle of nowhere. I never ever even considered this as a child in my thirties when we first moved a board lol.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You are not a loan 118 118. We very rarely use such timed moorings as they are invariably in a " Place " so we use them for shopping stops etc. However tomoz we have decided to nip up to Banbury for beer and food in the evening so will stay in the town overnight. They are good and safe moorings and very quiet late at night especialy mid week. Other than such important beer trips then we usualy moor out in the sticks. A little ditty though to show how ones views change as ya get older, I sometimes think it would be safer near a road bridge in case I have a heart attack or somett cos yers add it miles out on the south Oxford for instance int middle of nowhere. I never ever even considered this as a child in my thirties when we first moved a board lol.

What a place to check out though.

A friend of ours called it a day out walking in the Highlands a couple of years ago, he died in a place he loved doing what he loved.  I'd settle for that rather than an ambulance queue at the A&E in Coventry (for example). 

• Greenie 1

On 08/07/2019 at 16:50, Athy said:

It is evidently spreading Southwards. Last weekend there was a boat, in good condition but locked and deserted, on the sole 48-hour mooring below the town bridge in Cropredy. This weekend (and indeed this morning) it was still there, The odd thing is, it's a hire boat.

Ready for the festival.?
I was talking to a couple who's sun works for a hire company. They had a great deal of trouble explaining to a Chinese family how the toilet worked. After a couple of days they up and left the boat never to be seen again

I suspect this boat is overstaying on a 48 hr mooring, well it was there when we arrived Sunday and its still there this afternoon all locked up, I spotted this on the roof that may say something about his attitude.

DSCF1731small.jpg

When I read the first post of this thread my immeadiate thought was also Nantwich.  I suppose the Shroppie is a popular canal and Nantwich is a nice town but so is Chester (which is bigger so more to do) but Chester doesn't have this problem.  It does seem odd to me that Nantwich seems to be permanently full with boats and around 75% are overstaying.

I presume the checkers come by once a week and people know that?

If they find someone overstaying, what do they actually do?  Genuine question.  Do they have power to fine boaters or something?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Ready for the festival.?
I was talking to a couple who's sun works for a hire company. They had a great deal of trouble explaining to a Chinese family how the toilet worked. After a couple of days they up and left the boat never to be seen again

I suspect this boat is overstaying on a 48 hr mooring, well it was there when we arrived Sunday and its still there this afternoon all locked up, I spotted this on the roof that may say something about his attitude.

DSCF1731small.jpg

I'll bet he is a stellar employee. ?

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

Maybe CaRT don't enforce because there is no legal right to fine overstayers, if they did it might let the cat out of the bag? Better to give the impression that they have power?

There's a mention in the notes of the CRT meeting that nuisance practices could lead to licence withdrawal. And no doubt a bout of whinging, court action and more money wasted on laywers. 

Leave an untaxed and uninsured boat on a council car park and it will be removed within days.

Why do councils have apparently such powers when CRT appears to be powerless to manage their own property?

14 minutes ago, dor said:

Leave an untaxed and uninsured boat on a council car park and it will be removed within days.

Why do councils have apparently such powers when CRT appears to be powerless to manage their own property?

I think it may have something to do with the fact that it is much more difficult to get a large crane and low loader to a boat. The costs are going to be astronomical. A car is easily put on a flatbed truck and much cheaper for councils.

35 minutes ago, dor said:

I tthink you will find the costs of craning it onto a lorry and transporting it to the car park would be considerably more than the car park penaly. ?

Damn, cross posted with Flyboy. That'll teach me to read to the end of the post before responding. ?

Edited by cuthound

On 07/07/2019 at 22:57, furnessvale said:

On a slightly different tack, I have always felt that round figures such as 48hrs are a strange choice.

It effectively means that a boat arriving at 5pm one day HAS to leave at 5pm two days later, not a lot of use to anyone.

Far more useful would be, say 18hrs, allowing a single night arrival at 4pm, depart at 10am next day, or keep adding 24 hrs to allow for x number of overnight stops.

George

I advocate a pragmatic approach to this. Stick strictly to the hours if the moorings are in high demand but don't stress about an extra night if there are loads of empty moorings. And whatever you do - don't take the P.

• Greenie 1

On 08/07/2019 at 16:03, haza said:

what abt this one ,my friend pays £200 a month.for reso morring ,they went out for nearly a month ..got back to there moorings ,,some one had moored there when asked how long they had been there ,,oh only abt  3 weeks ..that was on the shroppie ...you have to laugh.well i do 

Its in the small print of most marina mooring agreements that they can let someone else use your mooring while you are away. And yes, they do pocket the additional income and you see none of it.

21 hours ago, dor said:

Their laws were written a century or two later and have been updated. In any event, a car park is just private land whilst canals are different.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2019 at 19:12, Arthur Marshall said:

There's a mention in the notes of the CRT meeting that nuisance practices could lead to licence withdrawal. And no doubt a bout of whinging, court action and more money wasted on laywers. 

It can't, the licence is statutory and can only be revoked by the statutory conditions set out in act (s) of parliament, ie the law,   you are talking bollocks to use your own words. 

On 09/07/2019 at 19:22, dor said:

Because the canals are in theory still run under rules set out under statutory canal acts,  I say " in theory" because there is no practical way to ensure CRT abides by the legislation, I think they know this, maybe have engineered it,  complaints are handled in house,  they appointed their own ombudsman in secret, and there is no legal aid for any kind of legal challenge to CRT. 

The Fenland council moorings in March and Whittlesey are 48hrs with no return in 48hrs to any council mooring with in either of the Towns. Ie: In March you cannot moor on town hall moorings and then move onto the West End parks after 48hrs. If only the council would enforce it. The enforcement people (Streetwise) have refused to do it after one of them was threaten by a overstayer that he throw them in the river. The boat is still there and has been for 51 weeks. The owner is often seen aboard, when he is there he treats the mooring as if he owns it.