Does nobody take any notice of the 48hr restrictions?

Johny London

Featured Posts

Sad reading this thread and others in similar vein.

There was a time when folks followed the rules - or had a chat with the local Lengthsman (remember them??).

The towpath telegraph acted in the interest of all CMers were persuaded not to moor where convenient for the local school  (perhaps any kids did not go to school...) but to choose a place just a bit further away from the popular spots so that there was room for everybody.

In today's society everybody's 'enabled', devil take the hindmost, and I know my rights - 'blow' the rest of ye.

CRT can't send a single lengths-person out 'cos he'll get duffed up - thus you'll need a cohort of bodies to assure due diligence / whatever - suspecting that further formal action may / will have to be taken.

For once I pity 'poor' CRT - they can't win or even control matters.

Time was  when  boating was pleasurable, you met a lot of interesting folks - including those in the 'Trade', everyone, but everyone had an interest - include those who did genuinely continuously cruise - as it was 'in their blood' so to do.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.....

On a slightly different tack, I have always felt that round figures such as 48hrs are a strange choice.

It effectively means that a boat arriving at 5pm one day HAS to leave at 5pm two days later, not a lot of use to anyone.

Far more useful would be, say 18hrs, allowing a single night arrival at 4pm, depart at 10am next day, or keep adding 24 hrs to allow for x number of overnight stops.

George

5 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

On a slightly different tack, I have always felt that round figures such as 48hrs are a strange choice.

It effectively means that a boat arriving at 5pm one day HAS to leave at 5pm two days later, not a lot of use to anyone.

Far more useful would be, say 18hrs, allowing a single night arrival at 4pm, depart at 10am next day, or keep adding 24 hrs to allow for x number of overnight stops.

George

Yes but it has been established that 48 hrs really means 2 nights. I agree it would be better if it said 2 nights!

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Yes but it has been established that 48 hrs really means 2 nights. I agree it would be better if it said 2 nights!

Indeed, but there are other signs saying "2 Days".  Does that really mean 3 nights, or only 1 night?

George

21 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Indeed, but there are other signs saying "2 Days".  Does that really mean 3 nights, or only 1 night?

George

Does no body ever read the laws ?

It really is quite clearly explained in the By-Laws :

“day” means the period between sunrise and sunset

So two days is any time after sunrise on day 1, and 'expires' at Sunset on day 2 (one-night)

21 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

George

Arrive about 5pm,stay overnight and next day. Stay overnight and next day. Stay overnight and leave after breakfast . You've been there two days, if by that you mean full daylight, but four nights. It's all ambiguous, 2 days more so than 48 hours. 

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

See the problem . Havent even scratched the surface of physical reasons.

There was a thread on here a year or two back by someone seeking support in their dispute with CRT claiming they should not have to move when it's raining.

Anyone remember that one? 

16 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

POLICE AWARE.

The police know that passers-by need to know they are aware of "abandoned" cars, and stick notices on cars, why can't C&RT do something similar?

I took this pic in Spain a while back.  I'm sure one could get the English (boat) version printed and stick it to offending boats (being careful not to damage the pristine paintwork, of course).

Abandono.jpg

POLICE AWARE.

The police know that passers-by need to know they are aware of "abandoned" cars, and stick notices on cars, why can't C&RT do something similar?

I took this pic in Spain a while back.  I'm sure one could get the English (boat) version printed and stick it to offending boats (being careful not to damage the pristine paintwork, of course).

POLICE AWARE.

12 hours ago, furnessvale said:

George

No George, that means no nights, you can only stay during the day ?

I suppose I do too, though like most leisure boaters it doesn't really affect me much as generally I want to go and look at a different tree every day or so.  Most of the rules, by-laws and guidelines get followed by default, the various restrictions really only impinge on those with a permanent boating lifestyle, or those who claim to have one but actually don't.  To add a bit of pedantry to the debate, I empathise with both, but only sympathise with the former.

Hasn't the subject of overstaying and its antisocial implications been done to death on this forum? What more is there to say? We all know it's wrong surely? I daresay the people who do overstay don't generally come onto this forum, so we're just preaching to the converted.

I once got an overstaying notice from CRT at Parbold on the L&L. We had just tied up and nipped to the shops, probably less than an hour! Still got the notice somewhere. I telephoned them and told them what I thought of them, which made me feel better, but of course little apology etc.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

As do I, I am boring enough to adhere to all the few simple rules we have in our chosen lifestyle.

This is the thing, no one wants tons of heavily enforced rules, and what we have currently is about as simple and easy as can be. I see the day where 48hrs moorings will be cctv'd :(

• Greenie 1

You have to obey laws but " rules " are voluntary or contractual.

So it depends which one of these the mooring time restrictions are .

There is no penalty for overstaying on a 24 hr mooring up to 14 days so it must be a " rule" . 

We have one near us that says " 2 days free mooring" but CRT are unable to explain what that means since there are no morning charges for towpath visitor moorings by law. 

Edited by CompairHolman

1 hour ago, Johny London said:

This is the thing, no one wants tons of heavily enforced rules, and what we have currently is about as simple and easy as can be. I see the day where 48hrs moorings will be cctv'd :(

I am saddened that any enforcement is required; as you say, observing the few rules is not difficult if you want to and one would expect that any reasonable, considerate person would wish to. 

2 hours ago, Johny London said:

Quite so. for myself if I see the phrase 48 hours I tend to think it er means err 48 hours, I dont find that hard to understand. If I see a sign saying 2 days I tend to take that as err 48 hours as when I went to school there were 24 hours in a day. If I turn up at a mooring at say 10 am then I would tell myself I need to be left by 10 am the day after tomorrow. I suppose some peeps try to make it hard to understand and question it for some reason. Pee takers are pee takers and eventualy spoil things for everybody. We have very very few rules at the moment but that may well not be the case sometime in the future.

what abt this one ,my friend pays £200 a month.for reso morring ,they went out for nearly a month ..got back to there moorings ,,some one had moored there when asked how long they had been there ,,oh only abt  3 weeks ..that was on the shroppie ...you have to laugh.well i do 

18 minutes ago, haza said:

what abt this one ,my friend pays £200 a month.for reso morring ,they went out for nearly a month ..got back to there moorings ,,some one had moored there when asked how long they had been there ,,oh only abt  3 weeks ..that was on the shroppie ...you have to laugh.well i do 

Presumably your friend charged them £150 for the 3 weeks use !!!  :giggles:

On 07/07/2019 at 12:52, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its happening on the southern Oxford too. One boat on the 48hr moorings I notice in particular been there at least a week at Fenny Compton VMs, possibly a good deal longer as it looks so familiar! 

It is evidently spreading Southwards. Last weekend there was a boat, in good condition but locked and deserted, on the sole 48-hour mooring below the town bridge in Cropredy. This weekend (and indeed this morning) it was still there, The odd thing is, it's a hire boat.

44 minutes ago, Athy said:

It is evidently spreading Southwards. Last weekend there was a boat, in good condition but locked and deserted, on the sole 48-hour mooring below the town bridge in Cropredy. This weekend (and indeed this morning) it was still there, The odd thing is, it's a hire boat.

Perhaps the hirers have had to unexpectedly curtail their holiday? ?

55 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I rarely stay on 24, 48 or 14 day moorings longer then one night, unless the weather is forecast to be grim.

I prefer boating to staying put. Surely I'm not alone on this?

Depends on circumstances with us. We don't tend to stay on "timed" moorings anyway if possible. We do like to stay in places for several days sometimes to learn a bit about the surroundings. It was different before we lived aboard full time, but the days of "going somewhere" are behind us. We just go with the flow now. Not arsed where we are as long as it is pleasant.