Does nobody take any notice of the 48hr restrictions?

Johny London

Featured Posts

Last place I moored, just past a 48hr bit - a boat on the 48hr when I arrived, still there a few days later when I left. My current spot, exactly the same thing.

I hate to be a stickler for the rules, but if we don't "voluntarily" keep to the rules, then we will end up with strict enforcements (as seen around Reading etc) which I most certainly don't want.

It is something I've only noticed down this end of the K&A (west) I guess there are just weekly checkers and no more? Even then the latter boat has been there over a week so should have been spotted.

A pity to moan :(

Its happening on the southern Oxford too. One boat on the 48hr moorings I notice in particular been there at least a week at Fenny Compton VMs, possibly a good deal longer as it looks so familiar! 

The same at Nantwich, with several boats there for many days, some a week or two.

The contempt shown for the 48 hour restriction is not helped by the presence of a BW boat and pusher tug on the 48 hour moorings for several weeks.

we have no way of knowing why they are still there, perhaps they have broken down or had some medical issues and CRT are aware that they are overstaying in exceptional circumstances

or of course they could just be taking the pi**

We do adhere to the 48 hour moorings. We, like others often see boats that have obviously been there longer. Boats that are before and after we depart.

There may be reasons why, who knows. I know of one boat that has been hanging around for ages and ages. I was talking to a 'local' who mentioned that the old boy liveaboard had passed onto the permanant mooring in the sky. Quite often there's a reason. Well, there's always a reason. Justified or not.

You see a lot of it on the moorings round Nantwich. They are very popular moorings and it's annoying when you are chugging past boats that are in exactly the same place they were a week ago - and no I'm not talking about boats on the long term moorings.

Apparently there's a boat moored up by the Warwickshire Fly  bridge on't Grand Union, I hear not only has it been there for a lot more than 48 hours, but everybody including Waterways knows it's there.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Apparently there's a boat moored up by the Warwickshire Fly  bridge on't Grand Union, I hear not only has it been there for a lot more than 48 hours, but everybody including Waterways knows it's there.

Yeahbutnobutyeahbut....

He has a perfectly valid reason for being there*.

* He launched a boat too big for the waterway, now he can't go anywhere. Will he be wanting a reduced licence next....?

A boat living friend of ours was dying of hepatitis, basically it reduced him to a skeleton , other boaters complained about his overstaying which led to letters from CRT which caused him a lot of worry. 

( This was when the hostile enforcement was going on a few years ago, which has changed now. )

So it's probably best that you check the circumstances first before you decide about other boat owners " taking the piss" ?

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

POLICE AWARE.

The police know that passers-by need to know they are aware of "abandoned" cars, and stick notices on cars, why can't C&RT do something similar?

What???

You think CRT should stick notices on abandoned cars?!

?

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

POLICE AWARE.

The police know that passers-by need to know they are aware of "abandoned" cars, and stick notices on cars, why can't C&RT do something similar?

C&RT do do something similar.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What???

You think CRT should stick notices on abandoned cars?!

?

I'm off to collect my winnings.  MTB to come up with the obvious. Easy money. :)

4 minutes ago, StephenA said:

C&RT do do something similar.

I must go to SpecSavers?  Don't tell me, they put a tiny typewritten (sizewise) note on some obscured part of the structure? 

I see no one takes any notice of the vast majority of 48hr moorings on the Shroppie - there's never anyone on them!

Most of the Middlewitch branch moorings for example are underused. 

So I occasionally overstay on unoopular 48hr moorings but the ‘Honey Spots’ I’ll move off of for sure. 

3 hours ago, Johny London said:

Last place I moored, just past a 48hr bit - a boat on the 48hr when I arrived, still there a few days later when I left. My current spot, exactly the same thing.

I hate to be a stickler for the rules, but if we don't "voluntarily" keep to the rules, then we will end up with strict enforcements (as seen around Reading etc) which I most certainly don't want.

It is something I've only noticed down this end of the K&A (west) I guess there are just weekly checkers and no more? Even then the latter boat has been there over a week so should have been spotted.

A pity to moan :(

Didn't you know that the Continual Moorers down the west end of the K&A are exempt from CaRT rules?  They are under NBTA rules.  :giggles:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

I think that that boat covered with rubbish just north just of Nantwich has been there 48 years.

If it's the same one, no reason to doubt, the 'lady' that habitats it goes into 'Crewe' and busks. The boat is a right jumble, but I bet she loves it. 

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

POLICE AWARE.

There was a boat moored near Alvecote last year for several months, but it didn't appear to be occupied. CRT contractors used to cut the grass either side of it, but not where it was moored, making it obvious it had been there for ages.

Eventually "CRT Aware" notices appeared on it  but were quickly removed by someone. CRT kept attaching new ones. After a further couple of months the boat was no longer there. According to the locals CRT took possession of the boat and sold it.

If someone has a genuine reason to overstay, as described by CompairHolman in post #12, it is incumbent upon them to advise CRT, who will always allow the overstay if the circumstances dictate that it is the best course of action.

That way they will not attract unwelcome attention from CRT (after all they are not mind readers) and avoid themselves a lot of uneccessary stress. 

Edited by cuthound

Oh, looks like it is widespread then - I don't remember noticing so much when I started a few years ago. I wouldn't like it to lead to overly strict enforcement, which is all that can ultimately happen I guess.

Maybe there's like, a lot of ill people around? Uh hu.

21 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If someone has a genuine reason to overstay, as described by CompairHolman in post #12, it is incumbent upon them to advise CRT, who will always allow the overstay if the circumstances dictate that it is the best course of action.

That way they will not attract unwelcome attention from CRT (after all they are not mind readers) and avoid themselves a lot of uneccessary stress. 

We did meet someone on the Marsh Lane Visitor moorings who had done just that - they were recovering from a major operation and couldn't move their boat. I don't think anyone can have any problems with that sort of over staying.

• Greenie 1