Jabasco 2.9 shower pump

Lizette

Featured Posts

Hi All

Need help with water pump wiring.

Pump has stopped working.

I suspect it is a loose connection 

I have just removed old oven and hob and the old wiring seems to be connected where pump connections are. Confused. 

I need someone to clearly tell me the connections needed.

It seems there is a red wire connected to a black that does not seem right to me.

Can someone send me a photo of connections required . I have switch next to the bathroom sink.

Many thanks

the actual pumps can have two black wires, one with a white trace. That may make you thing a red and black wire are connected. Black is negative and the white trace one is positive. Wiring positive wire from battery/fuse/ circuit breaker to the switch. The other side of switch to the pump positive lead unless a remote pressure switch has been fitted (tell us if it has). Negative wire from battery/distribution bus bar to pump negative.

Maybe better if you post photos showing your pump and area plus the area where the wires are behind the hob.

My guess is the bottom most right hand wire pair is the pos & neg supply.  The red wire then feeds the top pair which feeds something (cooker?) and the second bottom right wire pair, this taking the pos supply to the pump switch which, when ‘on’ sends the pos supply back down the black wire of the pair to feed the pos (red) pump wire.  The pump neg then connects to the black wire in the feed pair.  Ideally this black pos return wire should have a bit of red tape or red sleeving to indicate it is a pos wire.

Note that from the limited information in this photo, I can only make an educated guess, but All this can easily be confirmed using a multimeter.

Edited by Chewbacka

Hi Chewbacca

So, I can remove the right hand top wire because this is not attached to anything.

I do have a multimeter 

I will match what you tell me with looking at the actual pump to work it out.

Many thanks

L

3 hours ago, Lizette said:

Hi Chewbacka

So the red positive coming from the pump is connected to a black negative . Why is this?

Because whoever installed the questioned black wire did not put a red sleeve on it to indicate is is also a positive but the switched one.  The only other comment is that by the look of things the pump switch also switched the supply to the hob but as that has gone its not worth worrying about.

7 hours ago, Lizette said:

Hi Chewbacka

So the red positive coming from the pump is connected to a black negative . Why is this?

Sorry, been busy.  It is common practice (even in houses) to run a twin core cable to a switch so one core is the live (positive) feed to the switch (usually the red or brown wire) and the other core brings the power back from the switch to the device.  Ideally one would use a cable with 2 red (brown) cores, but this is not as common as it should be, a common solution is to put a bit of red sleeving or tape on the other wire in the pair.  In this case they did not bother, so the positive feed from the switch is coloured black (bad practice but not uncommon, more so on sloppy diy builds.  However as you have found it causes confusion for who ever has to sort out problems.