Did I Spot an Otter?

Featured Posts

Almost certain that an Otter swam across the cut in front of me this morning (never have my camera when I need it.) If indeed it was an Otter, it is the first I have seen in 50 years on the cut. Are they more frequent now? It seemed almost tame.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Almost certain that an Otter swam across the cut in front of me this morning (never have my camera when I need it.) If indeed it was an Otter, it is the first I have seen in 50 years on the cut. Are they more frequent now? It seemed almost tame.

We have had Otters being seen in Kendal during the day and on one Lake living under a cafe and being seen by customers by looking over the wall so they seem to be getting less scared of people.

I have seen an Otter on the cut a couple of years ago.

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Could have been a mink?

I did wonder. I have seen Mink sat under bridges; I swear one used to wave to us on the Trent and Mersey.

22 minutes ago, Jerra said:

We have had Otters being seen in Kendal during the day and on one Lake living under a cafe and being seen by customers by looking over the wall so they seem to be getting less scared of people.

I have seen an Otter on the cut a couple of years ago.

Interesting; this was very near to houses so must be used to people.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We have seen otters on the Land L but more often on such as the Oxford its mink we see.

Good to know they are on the L&L Tim, I will be more Otter aware in future ;) 
I do hope that they are increasing again after almost being wiped out.

There are several locks on the Oxford where otter spraints can be found on the offside apron walls or around the bollards. Once you've had one pointed out to you (i.e. a little poo made of of bits of undigested crayfish claws and scales), they are instantly recognisable. 

11 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Good to know they are on the L&L Tim, I will be more Otter aware in future ;) 
I do hope that they are increasing again after almost being wiped out.

Otter are getting very widespread and now found all over the country again.   There has even been one seen (at night) on our housing estate).

With regard to Mink V Otter.  Mink 1 -1 .5 KG (for the dinosaurs 2-3.5 Lb) and overall length 58 - 67 cm  (23 - 27 inches).  Otter 7 -10 Kg (15 -22Lbs) Body length 57 - 70 cm (22 -28 inches) add a tail of 35 -40 cm (14 - 16 inches) giving an overall length of 90 -110 cm (36 - 44 inches).

Those sizes should help you make up your mind what you saw.

Last summer, I saw my first Otter. Moored below the lock at Tewksbury, it was late evening. I was stood at the stern and watched a line of bubbles approach the stern. All of a sudden, a head popped up. I looked at him, he at me, then he was gone.  Don't know  who was more surprised.

Then blow me, a few days on and up the Avon proper, saw a second.

Magic.

As Jerra said above otters are now widespread again. I recall a thread about a colony at Napton or Calcutt or somewhere in that neck of the woods. There are otters living in the reed beds just outside Droitwich that sometimes make a visit to town, although I’ve only seen one once in Netherwich Basin and haven’t heard any reports of sightings for a while.

JP

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Otter are getting very widespread and now found all over the country again.   There has even been one seen (at night) on our housing estate).

With regard to Mink V Otter.  Mink 1 -1 .5 KG (for the dinosaurs 2-3.5 Lb) and overall length 58 - 67 cm  (23 - 27 inches).  Otter 7 -10 Kg (15 -22Lbs) Body length 57 - 70 cm (22 -28 inches) add a tail of 35 -40 cm (14 - 16 inches) giving an overall length of 90 -110 cm (36 - 44 inches).

Those sizes should help you make up your mind what you saw.

Reading this makes me think it was a Mink :(

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

If you watch a mink swimming you can see the whole body whereas an otter you more likely just see just the head.

Again most likely a Mink.
Oh well I'll see an Otter one day, and I've learned along the way.

Edited by Guest

15 years ago on the Llangollen adjacent Whixall Moss came across an otter having breakfast on the tow path.

Early morning, 5.30 or so. It scooted off when the dog paid an interest leaving a half-devoured fish.

4 hours ago, Boaty Jo said:

15 years ago on the Llangollen adjacent Whixall Moss came across an otter having breakfast on the tow path.

Early morning, 5.30 or so. It scooted off when the dog paid an interest leaving a half-devoured fish.

... which the dog finished?

14 hours ago, catweasel said:

I did wonder. I have seen Mink sat under bridges; I swear one used to wave to us on the Trent and Mersey.

Interesting; this was very near to houses so must be used to people.

A few weeks ago a family of mink swam across the Trent and Mersey in front of me and, with amazing agility, the adult scrambled up the vertical stone edge then leaned over and dragged his/her three offspring up the edge one by one. It was fascinating sight which, typically, I didn't have my phone handy to film it.

20 hours ago, catweasel said:

I saw a tame other when I passed through Hopwas on the Coventry Canal ?

https://www.vintageinn.co.uk/restaurants/midlands/thetameotterhopwastamworth?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb

Edited by cuthound
To add the missing link
  • Haha 1