Outboard fuel inststallation rules.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Went to look at a boat for sale today.(A grp outboard powered cruiser)

Asked to look at the fuel installation and on lifting the rear cockpit seating I got strong whiffs of petrol. The tank was a plastic outboard one placed loosly in the outboard well, not secured at all.

My last grp boat had a steel tank in a steel locker with a lid, and with a vent/drain through the transom (just like a gas locker)

When I mentioned this to the broker, he got quite shirty and told me I was wrong and the boat passed the BSS inspection with the set up it had.

Are the fuel installation rules different for outboard powered craft? Anyone know?

If I am wrong, I am happy to be corrected.

Nonethelless, I wouldn't be happy frying my chips on a gas hob with that installation.

I didn't buy the boat!

17 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Are the fuel installation rules different for outboard powered craft? Anyone know?

Yes. BIG DIFFERENCES.

BSS Examination Checking Procedures – Part 2
Permanently installed fuel systems and fixed engines

And 

BSS Examination Checking Procedures – Part 5
Outboard and portable combustion engines and portable fuel systems
There are three relevant BSS general requirements:

13. All portable and outboard engines and portable fuel systems must be designed, installed and
maintained in a way that minimises the risks of explosion or of fire starting and spreading.

14. All spare petrol must be stored in a way that minimises the risk of fire and explosion.

15. All portable and outboard engines with integral petrol or LPG tanks, and all portable petrol tanks, must
be stored in a way that minimises the risks of fire or explosion when not in use.

No requirements for the fuel tank to be 'restrained', have a read of the BSS requirements, but basically the main criteria are

The fuel tank must not leak and any spillage should be directed overboard.

On your 'old boat' - any fixed tank MUST comply with the requirements of section 2, removable tanks only need comply with section 5

The broker was correct.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thank you for the reply Alan.

I think l would prefer the fixed tank properly ventilated complying with part two. Anyway,there were other reasons why I didn't buy the boat,but part of the fun is driving all over the country looking at boats. (like hell it is!)

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Thank you for the reply Alan.

I think l would prefer the fixed tank properly ventilated complying with part two. Anyway,there were other reasons why I didn't buy the boat,but part of the fun is driving all over the country looking at boats. (like hell it is!)

@Lingy might be about to have one for sale in the Uppermill area by tomorrow! 

:boat:

You can have not only the tank in the well but spare fuel in addition, total 27litres. For example, with a tiller steer outboard, a 12l main tank and a 5l fuel can, sitting directly in front of the engine, it is still less than 2/3 of the maximum portable fuel allowed. You have to sit next to the engine with hand over the tank to steer. When this boat was examined and passed in May only the 12l tank was there and it was the examiner who suggested a spare would fit in the remaining space. They can sit loose but the well has to drain overboard at its low point which this does. It was certainly easier to put them there than create a whole new box at one side to drain overboard. Putting the fuel tank on the cockpit floor would be a no-no obviously but I'm happy having it where it is in the well because the boat has an open cockpit with no canopy and no enclosing of the engine well with seating, the tank effectively sits in a tray open to the elements. You may sit next to it but you know petrol isn't getting into the bilges or vapour building up somewhere.

The more confinement around fuel storage the more chance there will be of noticing smells when lifting lids, covers etc. Seating over the area is fine for BSS so long as fuel liquid and vapour can still drain overboard. Think of some boats like the Dawncraft where the outboard sits within the stern area rather than hanging off the back. Petrol storage is going to be within the confines of the canopy under the rear seating but still I don't see that many going bang if treated properly. We drive petrol cars, ride petrol bikes, use petrol tools; if respected dangers can be reduced on the water. My non canal boating over the years has often required small outboards and portable tanks for them and you just have to get used to sitting close to a very volatile liquid. As an example, since going from a diesel NB to this setup on the canal, I've given up the habit of a cigarette at the tiller! 

My Dawncraft 22 has two 10L (removable) petrol tanks under the rear seat. They're not bolted down or anything, but still passed the BSS no problem.

Maybe someone had left a vent on the container open? That would give a whiff of petrol on lifting the lid.

• Greenie 1

No clue of your requirements since I am in the states. But on a practical point you need ventilation so that any fumes are removed and not allowed to build it. I remember in the 60's my dad had an outboard runabout and had to add to vents to the compartment where the gas was stored (2 5 gallon metal tanks) so that air would flow through. New rules required it on ALL boats.

Edited by Kudzucraft
  • Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

compartment where the gas was stored

Just remember that we also have "gas" storage lockers and "petrol" tanks / cans / storage

Gas is that light 'floaty stuff' used to power your cooker / hob

Petrol is that smelly liquidy stuff that powers your outboard or car.

One Nation divided by two languages !!

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

Maybe someone had left a vent on the container open? That would give a whiff of petrol on lifting the lid.

I've left the vent open for a couple of weeks and the amount that leaves the tank is significant. Sunny day, vapour out, cold night intake air, rinse and repeat and the tank after months  is eventually empty. If that goes into the air no probs; if it is left in a sealed cabin it equals a bomb.