Boats travelling in convoy

Neil2

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, MartynG said:

What is the problem? 

On one occasion by chance we travelled with two other boat along the New junction and Keadby canals. We had not previously met  but just happened to be travelling at the same time. It was a great benefit as each took his turn to operate the lift bridges and locks. Progress was faster and the physical effort much reduced as a result.

Although we do make trips alone there are many occasions when we  travel with other boats. I am presently doing so on a two week boating holiday ... presently on salty water.

I didn't say say it was a problem per se, it's just that when you are about to set off up a series of locks and not one, but three, boats appear in close formation it is a little deflating.

As it happens, the skipper of the last boat in the convoy was later seen struggling down the weed hatch, I think cruising close behind two other boats meant that he inevitably caught all the swarf being stirred up by the first two boats.   

3 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I think cruising close behind two other boats meant that he inevitably caught all the swarf being stirred up by the first two boats.   

Fair enough . That explains a potential problem.

Not an issue on the river  nor on some canals .

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Fair enough . That explains a potential problem.

Not an issue on the river  nor on some canals .

Following behind 'Tadworth' up the Mirey, I got a load of wire on the blades they had stirred up.   I had started first, but the missus wanted to go shopping at Stoke and they overtook me.

5 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Following behind 'Tadworth' up the Mirey, I got a load of wire on the blades they had stirred up.   I had started first, but the missus wanted to go shopping at Stoke and they overtook me.

10 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I didn't say say it was a problem per se, it's just that when you are about to set off up a series of locks and not one, but three, boats appear in close formation it is a little deflating.

As it happens, the skipper of the last boat in the convoy was later seen struggling down the weed hatch, I think cruising close behind two other boats meant that he inevitably caught all the swarf being stirred up by the first two boats.   

Some of these People would be better joining a Social Club than buying a Boat Neil . Personally for me its not People like Martyn that cause any issue , its more the Association of Continuous Moorers that simply arrive en masse at a location of their choosing . Along comes the Solitary Boater only to be confronted with 250 yards of occupied towpath inevitably hogging the shops , the pub or the best car parking . I think the CRT have made a rod for their own back with this minimum mileage recommendation and Widebeams are amongst the worst offenders most never even covering the minimum recommendations despite either being owned by the retired or those rich enough to do no work . Fathoming out how these Jokers manage to game the system whilst the rest of us working all week and some like myself running businesses are fully compliant is akin to understanding a Book by Stephen Hawkings .

11 hours ago, Neil2 said:

We travel in convoy with friends fairly often and the issue of picking up stirred up debris is a real problem for the following boats. 

We tend to try and get up front if we can to avoid it as NC seems to be quite apt at picking up the crap in between the props!

Some boats it doesn't seem to bother but others find it a real issue.

FB-IMG-1562478266762.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Happy 1

We joined the tail end of a convoy of one boat. I think it was a share boat and the 'drive' was inexperienced but was being supervised by dad or granddad. Just coming out of Braunston Tunnel. A boat in the distance. Soon caught it up. Not joking, took forty five minutes or more to reach Norton Junction. Decided to stop for water just in the Leicester Arm. Continued our journey and got a pumpout at the nearby marina, which name escapes me, within twenty minutes of leaving said Marina there's it was again. Flippin' eck thinks me. They, thankfully, stopped for eats and a well earned rest after mastering how to go so slowly in a Narrow Boat and avoiding going astern. Was I bovvered? Dam right I was. Could have called me through. Downright inconsiderance to other users.