Boats travelling in convoy

Neil2

Featured Posts

Already this year we have come across quite a lot of boats travelling in convoy, usually in two's, but on one occasion we met a group of three boats in harness (unfortunately going the same direction as us).   They have been a mixture of hire/syndicate boats and private boats.  

In previous years this has been a rare sight so I wonder if it's just a weird coincidence or is there a trend emerging here?

Were they actually in convoy, or just the usual thing of a very slow boat at the front and everyone piling up behind them? Double or wide locks can cause a bit of bunching too. It's partly why I tend to cruise from 6am - by the time everyone else has had their bacon and eggs and got going I'm about ready to moor up and read a book for the rest of the day. 

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Were they actually in convoy, or just the usual thing of a very slow boat at the front and everyone piling up behind them? Double or wide locks can cause a bit of bunching too. It's partly why I tend to cruise from 6am - by the time everyone else has had their bacon and eggs and got going I'm about ready to moor up and read a book for the rest of the day. 

Definitely in convoy, I thought at first maybe it's a safety/security thing but I think Rog may be right, though we tend to avoid the festivals/rallies ourselves we may have been caught up in some of the traffic. 

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

I have met little groups of boats most years, always holiday boats, often flying little flags from Scandic countries.  Always good for a little chat at locks.

Yes now I think about it a couple of these were Swedish and Norwegian groups.  One of them disgorged about twenty huge blokes looking for all the world like a retired hell's angel chapter.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

More likely Vikings here for a bit more Rape & Pillage.

Actually they didn't look capable of either.

But those scandinavians can't half grow a decent beard/moustache.  Scary.

3 hours ago, Neil2 said:

but on one occasion we met a group of three boats in harness

What do you mean here please? Do you mean they were actually tied together i.e. rafted up, and travelling along?

4 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Already this year we have come across quite a lot of boats travelling in convoy, usually in two's, but on one occasion we met a group of three boats in harness (unfortunately going the same direction as us).   They have been a mixture of hire/syndicate boats and private boats.  

In previous years this has been a rare sight so I wonder if it's just a weird coincidence or is there a trend emerging here?

The boat that broke my neighbours fairlead and landline was the lead one of a convoy of three apparently.

I have occasionally travelled in convoy with friends after meeting them somewhere but have not noticed the trend increasing.

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What do you mean here please? Do you mean they were actually tied together i.e. rafted up, and travelling along?

In harnessOld boater's term for crews working together in harmony, friends. 

6 hours ago, Neil2 said:

We have proper convoys on the Tidal Thames ?

convoy.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis

A 'PROPER' convoy

Related image

Poem by John Coopey

Marbella's the spot for mooring your yacht

To ostentatiously show what you've got;

But a sight more evocative ploughing the foam

Much nearer the heart and closer to home

Was never a craft you'd look good in;

I refer to the Ponty Tom Pudding.

A cross between a barge and a train

With a tug at the bow taking the strain;

Everyday making 2 or 3 runs,

Every trip hauling 800 tons

Of limestone or coal or with wood in;

It's Goole not Cannes for Tom Pudding.

The roads might be blocked or the trains were on strike

But Tom would chug on just as slow as you like;

Never no more than 3 miles an hour,

Ensuring continued electrical power,

Unhindered even by flooding;

Earning its corn was Tom Pudding.

Along the canal to Ferrybridge “C”

To generate your electricity,

Or onwards to Goole to ship overseas

For developing nations' industries

Or start their economies budding,

Pump-primed by Ponty Tom Puddings.

Manning the rig would be Skipper and me

From 14 years old to age 23;

The pay was appalling, conditions as bad -

The best job of work though that I'd ever had

Despite the muck you were stood in,

Fighting a snake in Tom Puddings.

Dust up your nostrils, your ears, in your nails,

Grafting in rain and in frost and in hail;

And Skipper made sure they were clean 'fore a load;

I'd be shovelling out muck as even it snowed;

They'd have slurry and sludge and with mud in;

I've cursed them Bastard Tom Puddings.

But sad to relate their days are long past;

The Aire and Calder has witnessed their last;

Consigned to memory and history since

The closures of Fryston and old Ponty Prince,

Two pits my brothers sweat blood in -

So Farewell to the Ponty Tom Pudding.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

We have proper convoys on the Tidal Thames ?

convoy.jpg

Do I see someone standing on the gunnel?  Hope he has a lifejacket.  Can we see a photo of the effect that the wash of a fast boat has?

From a Continuous Cruiser perspective Boats travelling in convoy are pretty common especially on the GU South . In the 40 years I have been afloat it certainly has become more common especially among those engaged on 22 linear miles per year which if my mind serves me correctly , is the CRT guideline for New Boaters taking up a CC License . Personally I can never see the attraction for this and you can bet that if you come around the corner there will be just enough of a Gap between these Boats to prevent you mooring up

9 hours ago, Neil2 said:

What is the problem? 

On one occasion by chance we travelled with two other boat along the New junction and Keadby canals. We had not previously met  but just happened to be travelling at the same time. It was a great benefit as each took his turn to operate the lift bridges and locks. Progress was faster and the physical effort much reduced as a result.

Although we do make trips alone there are many occasions when we  travel with other boats. I am presently doing so on a two week boating holiday ... presently on salty water.